Quantcast

Good Trails in the NYC Area

Isitinya

Chimp
Aug 18, 2005
SoCal
I am going to NYC on business for a week or two. I will taking my bike and was wondering if there are any decent trails reachable from the city within a 30 min drive. Thanks in advance.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would like to hear it as well. Keep in mind, a 30 minute drive could be 10 blocks.

Frankly, I would take a road bike (or set up for road) and prepare for laps around Central Park. While I am a little bored of it, it is probably the greatest metropolis road loop in the world.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Isitinya said:
I am going to NYC on business for a week or two. I will taking my bike and was wondering if there are any decent trails reachable from the city within a 30 min drive. Thanks in advance.
If you play your cards right, and be mindful of traffic patterns, you can be at Sprain Ridge in 30 min or so. If you give yourself 45 min you can add Ghrams Hills to the list. Check www.wmba.com for more details.

If you bring the road bike, take the greenbelt loop around the whole island of manhattan. You get to see about 50 different facets of the gritty diamond that is NYC.

Check transalt.org for more info on that route.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
You could always hop on the Metro North and check out trails in Peekskill and Mount Beacon. By car, you could be upstate (where I live and Stosh lives) at Stewart in 1.5 hours depending on traffic. You could also check out Fahnstock state park.