Quantcast

Good upgrade?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Get a hardtail instead of a full suspension at that price point.
Agreed. At this price point, what you're paying for is a full suspension frame, and not exactly a great one. You'd get a better quality frame and components at that price point if you bought a hardtail. Then further down the road, save up your money and get a good full suspension frame, and transfer the parts over.

May 1, 2006
i also couldnt agree more with everyone else on the suspension. i am a fan of fully rigid myself (after all, even with suspension, your arms/legs take up most of the bumps anyways).

i just built a bike with SRAM X.7/X.9 components, race face crankset/stem/handlebars/seatpost, avid SD7 brakes/levers, mavic crossride wheels, a ~22-23lb bike for $912.72 (that includes all brand new parts shipped to my door). you are really taking a big downgrade in components when buying a full suspension bike on any sort of a budget.

May 1, 2006
that bike looks to be specialized's hardtail equivalent to that giant yukon fx. i would spend the extra $130 and get the specialized rockhopper comp. the 9-speed drivetrain of the rockhopper comp will be much more upgradable than the 8-speed drivetrain of the regular rockhopper.