Quantcast

Good urban freeride bikes

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
If you just want to huck off stuff and do huge stair gaps get an old bighit with the 24 inch rear wheel. I wouldnt spend big bucks on a bike for that. Just ride it until it falls apart. Other wise I would just get a hard tail.

Eyedfy

Chimp
May 22, 2006
ATL
Good urban means alot of stairs and drops to flat. I'd say ~ 6-7 inches of travel, burly frame, more street-friendly tires. As bikes go, I love hitting the innah city on my Stinky. If you're looking to do more jumping, then maybe a hard tail is what you need. However, if you have the right fork/shock combo, then you can dial the low-speed compression up and it'll do you right.

BALOG

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
Any slopestyle friendly frame will be OK... Banshee Wildcard, Specialized SX Trail, Norco Six or Five, MC Battery, Transition BR etc... a burly 5 to 6" travel fork like a Domain or 55 will be just enought!

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I second that motion.

But all kidding aside, If you feel you must have a full suspension bike for urban. Transition Double is nice. Super stiff frame with a little bit of travel. I have ridden the Mongoose Nugget, and it is very sweet, a little overkill for street though. Just go out and get a hardtail or a 20 in my opinion.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Trying to get speed in a short run-up is awful when you have at least 5 or 6 inches of travel to contend with... not to mention trying to hop up or over something that is 3 feet and higher.

A hardtail with a 100mm fork is plenty. If you really like full suspension though, most manufacturers that make decent freeride/downhill/all mountain bikes all have options for the type of bike you are looking for. Just search slopestyle bikes and the like. Kona, Transition, Intense, Jamis have some that might work. I'd also dig around the urban/dj forum on here...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Any sturdily built hardtail w/ a equally strong parts spec usually fits the bill. Makes for a lot of fun and versatility. Think anything you might use for dirt jumps or 4x.