Quantcast

Good UST wet/muddy DH tire

ILikeFood

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm about to head off to BC for a week of riding, and although I know this has been covered before for non-UST I'm looking for UST recommendations. It's got to fit in a Manitou Sherman, so probably 2.5/2.6 is the largest I can run.

Last year I ran 2.5 Nevegal's (DH casing, stick-e) and really liked them, but alas there are no UST Nevgal's. I might just try to run them anyway.

My favorite tire for dry/rocks is the Maxxis Minion (which does have a 2.5 UST) but how does it do in mud & wet?

I've seen a lot of promising things about the Octopus, does it do okay in mud? Who the hell is selling them?

I'm not too interested in anything full-on mud racing, as I'm going to be doing a lot of stunt riding...and of course I hope like hell it dries out at least a little bit :)

Thanks for any suggestions,
f00d

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I ride Highrollers year round up here. It's never too muddy, more wet mud and puddles. It doesn't really stick too bad like some places.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I hated the Minions in the Mud. Never tried the High Roller but hear it's good. The Michelin Comp 32 is super in these conditions but it'll never fit in your fork. The Michelin Comp 16 2.5 would be an awesome choice for you, used it two years on my DH bike in the back for New England Mud and one season up front.

Currently I'm running (up front anyways on my RFX) the Hutchinson Octopus 2.3 UST in the mid compound, not soft. I love this tire and it's not let go yet on me including racing the Super D at Mount Snow last year in the Mud. I've got the Octopus 2.5 mid-compound front and rear this year on my DH bike but haven't had too much time on them yet although they worked nice at Bromont in the mud/rain on opening day. Note that the Octopus 2.5 looks like a 2.7 though so it may have fit issues on your fork.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
You don't need a mud tyre up here, it's not that bad right now. The mud tyre would squirm like hell on the rocks and stuff too. I'd stay stick with Highroller or a Michy.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
I guess a Michy comp 16 mich be a good combo between a mud tire and a all terrain type tire (the treads are really aggressive, and somewhat resemble a mud tire, but without the rediculous length).

ILikeFood

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Well I decided on the Mich Comp 16's (in 2.5) and so far I've been really happy with them in the Utah talcum power dry. Off to BC this Friday, so I'm eager to give them a try!

Thanks for all the advice,
f00d

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Van is pretty bone dry in the summer, not much mud to be found.

But yea, the Comp 16 is the best mud tire for the shore (not the best under dry hardpack conditions).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey scrimp: Do you have a head on shot of all those tires that shows the patterns better? You're a spokesperson and I'm a potential buyer so if you don't, you are absolutely obligated to line them all up again and go take a picture to greatly boost sales through indirect interweb marketing.

AV

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
The Minion definitely sucks for mud, it packs up and is like a slick. I tracked down some Maxxis wet screams, used Stans No tube sealant and mounted them on UST rims - kick ass. If it is not wet though the wet screams high knobs definitely fold a lot in dry conditions though.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Run a Michelin Comp 16 2.5 on the front and a 2.2 on the rear. You will love them. I run them tubless and have never had a problem with them. Ran 25 PSI in them this weekend at Snowshoe in all the rain we had up there and was hooking up well.