Quantcast

Google Chrome For Mac

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been wanting to try out chrome as an OS. There's already some homebrews out there that allow you to boot it from a thumb drive on a netbook.

And yes, chrome browser is full of win.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've been using Chrome for my PC. I don't really notice a difference. I like the instant Googling of a selection with a right cli-- oh, nevermind.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I installed and used it all day today and am quite impressed. I'm on a quad-core xeon Mac Pro with 8 JiggleBytes of ram too. I'm still getting used to the tabs on the very top and the search in the address bar.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I installed and used it all day today and am quite impressed. I'm on a quad-core xeon Mac Pro with 8 JiggleBytes of ram too. I'm still getting used to the tabs on the very top and the search in the address bar.
Careful. This gets to be a habit, and then an addiction. Suddenly you can't go back to any other browser since you can't figure out why it's not searching for things when you type things in the address bar.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Careful. This gets to be a habit, and then an addiction. Suddenly you can't go back to any other browser since you can't figure out why it's not searching for things when you type things in the address bar.
I'm never turning back. What I can't figure out is why no one did this sooner, I've been wanting to see this feature for years.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I agree with this; I switched back to Firefox for a little while because I wanted to try out a particular extension and I spent the whole time typing searches into the address bar :rant:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
is there any way to toggle what the address bar searches for? ie, set to look for images?
Yes. Here's the mac way:

Chrome > Preferences > Default Search, click Manage > Click the + to add images.google.com > select it and click Make Default

Although, it would be nice if there was a drop down somewhere in the main screen. You'll have to switch this every time if you want to do a regular search.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes. Here's the mac way:

Chrome > Preferences > Default Search, click Manage > Click the + to add images.google.com > select it and click Make Default

Although, it would be nice if there was a drop down somewhere in the main screen. You'll have to switch this every time if you want to do a regular search.
Oh snap I never thought of that. cool.

I love that in the list of search engines to use, "LMGTFY" is listed :rofl:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
yeah a dropdown like Firefox has is much better than having to go into preferences to set the search type.
Is it really worth it to change search preferences though? If I'm looking for an image of something, you type in whatever you're searching for into the search field, then click "image" once the results pull up. 2 clicks. If it's something I'm shopping for, "shopping" will usually be one of the top 2 results, and the same with informational things (usually wikipedia.org). <shrug>

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Is it really worth it to change search preferences though? If I'm looking for an image of something, you type in whatever you're searching for into the search field, then click "image" once the results pull up. 2 clicks. If it's something I'm shopping for, "shopping" will usually be one of the top 2 results, and the same with informational things (usually wikipedia.org). <shrug>
hey when you're looking for pr0n you want as few clicks as possible.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I agree with this; I switched back to Firefox for a little while because I wanted to try out a particular extension and I spent the whole time typing searches into the address bar :rant:
If you change to OpenDNS's public DNS all browsers will work that way plus it has malicious website filtering and other features. Most test show it to be the fastest free public DNS service even beating Google's new public DNS service.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I use OpenDNS but it's not the same, speed-wise. It still attempts the lookup before performing the search.

I was doing a little testing of OpenDNS vs. Google and my seat-of-the-pants impression was that Google was very slightly faster. Nothing clinical about that, just felt a little quicker.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Every suite of test sites I've seen has shown OpenDNS is faster sometimes by a large margin:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2356707,00.asp

PC Mag said:
Overall, I don't see speed as a reason to switch to Google DNS, as local ISP DNS servers will usually be adequate, and OpenDNS is marginally faster than either. Still, if you're given to tweaking your computer and suspect that you're not getting all the speed you could (and who doesn't, sometimes) you might want to point to a different DNS server. Personally, I'd recommend OpenDNS, based on my tests. If you do change DNS servers, let us know about your experiences in the comments section of this story.
random user test said:
DNS Nameservers:
4.2.2.2 - Level3 DNS
8.8.8.8 - Google DNS
208.67.222.222 - OpenDNS
195.92.195.90 - Orange DNS (ISP)
156.154.70.1 - DNS Advantage

Site #1 (bbc.co.uk):
L3: 50 msec
Google: 44 msec
OpenDNS: 37 msec
Orange: 34 msec
DNS Adv: 37 msec

Site #2 (reddit.com)
L3: 51 msec
Google: 46 msec
OpenDNS: 36 msec
Orange: 35 msec
DNS Adv: 35 msec

Site #3 (google.com):
Google: 44 msec
OpenDNS: 35 msec
Orange: 36 msec

Site #4 (stratics.com):
Google: 43 msec
DNS Adv: 38 msec

Site #5 (cnn.com):
Google: 158 msec

Site #6 (opendns.com):
Google: 227 msec
Orange: 36 msec

As demonstrated, OpenDNS servers seem to respond faster than Google's for me. Google's servers responded incredibly slowly in the last two cases, which is concerning. My ISP's nameserver is generally quite fast also.

Seems to me OpenDNS has the advantage both in speed and extra functionality.

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
firefox also has the little icon in the google taskbar, so you can type what you are looking for, then click on the icon which for the search type you want.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Well I finally did it, I used Firefox for the first time in weeks and kept putting my searches in the Address Bar. It took me a good 10 seconds to realize what was happening.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Firefox still has a functional Autofill, way more extensions (no EXIF viewer for Chrome, among others), and is color-managed.

after a brief dalliance w/ Chrome, i think i'm back to FF.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
They finally came out with the Chrome beta for Ubuntu/Debian finally.

It sucks a greasy cock.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yep, I went back to FF also.
Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on a MBP.

The tab browsing bothered me and it didn't seem any faster than FF.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yep, I went back to FF also.
Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on a MBP.

The tab browsing bothered me and it didn't seem any faster than FF.
I notice only a marginal difference in speed (windows). The one thing Chrome does that FF doesn't is having separate threading for each tab. So if something crashes in one tab, only that one is affected, the rest of your tabs/windows won't crash & close.

But more importantly, I like the integrated search feature in the address bar. I can't believe no one tried it sooner.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yeah, the integrated search is one of the reasons a friend is using it. I have the google toolbar and that works fine.

In FF, I have folders in my toolbar with "open all in tabs". Does Chrome do this?