Quantcast

Google NexusOne Official... and headed to Verizon spring '10

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was doing some comparisons this morning.

I may take a serious look at the finances of it. Android would allow a more substantial VOIP integration in the phone which would cut down on the number of minutes I would use. Under the right circumstances, it could be worth the early termination fee and actually save me money.

Many of my apps have substitutes on the Android market and integrated push gmail makes me :drool:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I like the addition of a trackball. While some reviews I've read said its not really necessary, its a nice feature that can make single handed use of the device a bit easier. I often times find myself wishing my Storm had one.

What DOES surprise me is that it will be going to Verizon. They somehow managed to keep that under wraps, despite being outed early that is was going to be sold unlocked or on T-Mobile.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'll be waiting for further reviews of course but it definitely looks like a winner. I wish my iPhone had a trackball all the time for scrolling of text boxes. Long text boxes are a freakin' pain using the little magnifying glass.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It sounds like an excellent device. From the reviews I've read, consensus is that the device is GREAT, but not the end-all be-all of android devices. I think that's what I like about Android so much, that google didn't take a "one size fits all" approach.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
It's good that someone is competing with apple and spurring innovation.

I can't wait til the day I can buy the phone hardware I like, install the phone os I like, them connect to the carrier of my choice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can't wait til the day I can buy the phone hardware I like, install the phone os I like, them connect to the carrier of my choice.
well you're gonna have to, cuz its never gonna happen.

Lately though, the increased competition in the smartphone sector has meant that we ALL win, because handset manufacturers keep pushing each other.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The only thing that irks me is that Verizon doesn't use SIM cards for their network, so you can't buy the unlocked phone and then get a Verizon contract.

AFAIK, anyway. :rant:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The only thing that irks me is that Verizon doesn't use SIM cards for their network, so you can't buy the unlocked phone and then get a Verizon contract.

AFAIK, anyway. :rant:
That's going to change as they roll out LTE/4G, and the associated devices.

http://gizmodo.com/5259267/verizon-lte-devices-will-have-swappable-sim-cards

LTE is already being live tested in a few markets, and they hope to start rolling it out 2nd half of 2010. They intend to have most major markets upgraded by the end of 2011, and all their coverage upgraded by 2012 (just in time for judgement day). So we should start seeing Verizon's first 4G devices late 2010 early 2011.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i guess it is more of a mini tablet/smartphone since it does have a SIM card and the Android OS
Yea, i think doing the SIM is gonna be their way of having internet everywhere. Based on the size and the way android's gui looks, i think its gonna line up more with the archos style mid's, but with improved web capabilties and probably some voice calling action.

edit: check the orientation of the icons on the buttons. intended to be used in landscape mode, not portrait.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So we should start seeing Verizon's first 4G devices late 2010 early 2011.
Looks like I'm holding onto my iPhone a while longer.

Also, I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that the Dell tablet will primarily be used with Bluetooth headsets :rofl:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Back on the original topic, in RE: this series of posts:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3333869#post3333869

Check out this video:

Looks like the deeper blacks on the Nexus one basically fix that issue. I always thought the iPhone rendered blacks exceptionally bright.

Also, so far I've read three reviews that have all dogged the Nexus One's cursor movement via the trackball and praised the magnifying glass of the iPhone. WTF? I hate the magnifying glass. It's imprecise - for narrow letters like "l" or periods, placement on one side or the other is often difficult, and if your selection is off the screen it can take forever to recognize that you want to scroll, dammit, and you want to scroll faster. I'm wondering if that's my personal taste or if it's that the scroll ball is bad.

Fortunately, a buddy just ordered one so I may be able to test :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Back on the original topic, in RE: this series of posts:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3333869#post3333869

Check out this video:

Looks like the deeper blacks on the Nexus one basically fix that issue. I always thought the iPhone rendered blacks exceptionally bright.

Also, so far I've read three reviews that have all dogged the Nexus One's cursor movement via the trackball and praised the magnifying glass of the iPhone. WTF? I hate the magnifying glass. It's imprecise - for narrow letters like "l" or periods, placement on one side or the other is often difficult, and if your selection is off the screen it can take forever to recognize that you want to scroll, dammit, and you want to scroll faster. I'm wondering if that's my personal taste or if it's that the scroll ball is bad.

Fortunately, a buddy just ordered one so I may be able to test :D
Funny you mention this, people are all sorts of up in arms over lack of customer service. Google apparently failed to have a proper sized CS department, especially considering they are selling the phone directly to consumers unlocked. T-Mobile is also getting tons of complaints from those who bought it subsidized, because google failed to provide sufficient CS documentation. Whoops!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
direct sales fale
Those numbers aren't exact anyway, but I'd say they didn't do too badly considering that something like $100mil was spent on the Droid's advertising campaign, and the Nexus One had no ad campaign at all.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm all wrapped up in Google services now that I'm using Google Voice more and Google Docs allows any type of file to be uploaded. I'm considering switching to the Nexus One just for that. The jailbroken Google Voice app for the iPhone is distinctly mediocre and doesn't integrate with the phone in any way so it really disrupts workflow.

Cost to switch would be about zero since the iPhones sell well on eBay.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BV, I read somewhere yesterday (gizmodo or engadget) that motorola has another 20 or so android phones coming down the pipes for release in 2010 alone. I've heard rumors that Moto is going to provide the handset for the Nexus Two, and that it will have a physical keyboard.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't care as much about the physical keyboard.

I'm concerned about a couple of things. Copy and paste from non-editable fields sounds like it's a pain in the ass right now. Frankly, not having native support for app storage on the SD card is ridiculous and rooting your phone isn't a solution because the issue isn't completely one of a limitation on the customer side. The bigger issue is that application developers will not develop big apps if a big chunk of the customer base can't use it.

Also, freakin' multitouch. Pinch-to-zoom is the greatest thing ever to come to touchscreens. It's easy, natural and provides a huge amount of granularity. Having to download a separate browser and not having support in Google Maps is absurd. I only hope the European firmware will be brought to the US version like the Droid has.

...and none of these problems will be addressed by a different handset coming down the pipes. They're all Android OS related.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think one of the reasons we don't see native pinch zoom on Android is that its murky IP territory. I know Apple submitted a patent for it (and other multi-touch functionalities), not sure if it ever was approved.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm sorry, you must have confused me with someone who cares why pinch-to-zoom isn't on the phone.

To clear up this misunderstanding: I don't care. I just want it. If they have to pay royalties, so be it. :D