Quantcast

Gooodridged lines Vs Hope lines

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
Hi All,

didn't post here for a while, but still reading...

I'm just looking for upgrading this poor shimano lines on my trail bike, and after searching & reading here and there, It's look like hopes line are actually Goodridge lines? is that true, because hopes are cheaper and seam available more easily.

thanks all and have a good ride!

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
The hope lines that I have now are pretty much identicle to the goodridge lines that I had last year. Im not a big fan of the upgrade myself though. My rear brake has the new hope line and the front has a kevlar and I cant tell the difference. Except when it comes time for replacing it and the dent in my wallet.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
Swapping stock hope for Goodridge on Hope brakes don't make a huge difference, swapping Shimano for Goodridge is a worth while upgrade.
:stupid:

I made the switch and felt a noticable difference right away in my Shimano XT 4 piston brakes.

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
someone on MTBR said that hope sub-contract Goodridge for theirs hoses. And that being said, we can easily figured out that by knowing that Goodridge is UK based and looking at the hope Stainless Steel Braided Hose Kit description

Hope braided lines description said:
Description: After extensive research and testing we have sourced an excellent, UK manufactured stainless steel braided hose...
so my main question is are they the same? because if yes I'll get the cheapest. As for the worth or not to upgrade from regular "plastic one" Shimano to whatever brand braided hose, I'll figure out myself.

thanks

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Its worth it in the bling stakes.....

Iv just changed my stock Hopes to the Hope braided kits-they are a pain to do though-trying to get the fiddly olive over the braided hoses without bending any strands or pulling them out is a pain. I ended up 'opening' up the olive over a centre punch to help it slip over easier then closing it with some pliers. Iv not got round to bleeding them yet though so I dont know if there is a performance increase.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
metalMTB said:
Is it worth it to upgrade hayes lines?
Yes. Made a difference on my hayes mags, and others seem to agree.

my trailbike has magura louise FR's...i may upgrade those to goodridge next year.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yes it will upgrade your saint brakes not sure why you need to the power is already great on the saints and it saves you 100 dollars not to get them.

snide

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Seattle
The lines make a differance in the Shimano 755's for sure! The Hopes are the same. Two problems I ran into are the kit ships with just one banjo (90 degree) fitting so you have to order and another side from Hope if you are running the 755 levers. I've also been playing around with the fittings and they are tough to get right. The olive is a pain to get over the hose and when I spread it out with a punch they leaked so I ruined a fitting and had to wait for replacement. They look sick too!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Someone was saying that they used Goodridges on Saints for a while, and while they slightly more powerful, they preffered the feel of the saint lines and went back to them. I forget who. Maybe Kidwoo?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Changleen said:
Someone was saying that they used Goodridges on Saints for a while, and while they slightly more powerful, they preffered the feel of the saint lines and went back to them. I forget who. Maybe Kidwoo?
Nah. I've always used the stock lines on my shimanos.

The goodrige lines on the old 4 pot xts actually made them work. The stock lines on those put me into the trees pretty easily on a buddies bike. Those things felt like ass. People in the know said the difference was night and day with the goody lines though.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Changleen said:
I've said that but I'm not sure if I'm the person you're referring to.

Heckled

Chimp
Feb 1, 2006
Just to confirm - the Hope lines are Goodridge hoses, but the fittings are not the old gdridge ones but their own. They use a similar setup to standard shimano hoses. I've used both and couldn't tell the difference on a pair of Mono4's but Goodridge fittings are def. a better design... (much more secure hold on the hose)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Heckled said:
Just to confirm - the Hope lines are Goodridge hoses, but the fittings are not the old gdridge ones but their own. They use a similar setup to standard shimano hoses. I've used both and couldn't tell the difference on a pair of Mono4's but Goodridge fittings are def. a better design... (much more secure hold on the hose)

You just have to tell them which ones you want. Least thats what i was told by the Hope rep back in the day. Said they had " MOre than a few" connector styles. Anywhothought i would add that

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
I got the hope lines for my hayes mags from jenson and it was an easy install and made a huge difference in the way they work.
I'd say to any hayes users its the best thing you can do for them.