Quantcast

GoPro HD

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
The quality on that is REALLY nice for a helmet cam, just disappointed that its in 4:3 and not 16:9. From a videographer's standpoint, that just makes it a PITA to incorporate with reg HD footage. But its 'pre-production' so that might (hopefully) change. Either way a step in the right direction!

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
It does shoot in 16:9, it has multiple settings to choose from.

The overall visual appearance of the high definition GoPro HD Wide is pretty much the same – but the insides of the GoPro HD are very different and the specs tell the full story! The GoPro HD still has the killer 170 degree wide angle lens and will have three recording resolutions: 1080p (1980 x 1080), 960p (1280×960, so it’s similar to 720p but at 4:3 ratio), and 720p (1280 x 720). What’s even better is the camera can record 720p at double speed 60 FPS for buttery smooth high-def slow motion deliciousness. Here are the full video specs with bitrates, please note bitrates may change in final production version:

* 1080P 1980×1080 30 fps @12 Mbps
* 960P 1280×960, 30 fps @ 10 Mbps
* 720P 1280×720, 30 fps @ 7.5 Mbps
* 720P 1280×720, 60 fps @ 15 Mbps

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I want one! My last setup with a camcorder and the helmet cam didn't look that good and was a pain to use. The videos came out ok, but these new ones look so slick and compact with the all-in-one setup. Looks like they have the data and batteries all inside the camera if I'm seeing it right.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
most helmet cams besides the Vio have everything internally. the Vio has a video cable tether to it recording/viewing unit
Yea, a couple years ago I had the separate helmet cam with a Canon camcorder. It sucked. I had it in a small Pelican case because I was worried about breaking the camera. Then I had to run the a/v cables and microphone, along with power cable to the camera...it was a PITA, so I rarely used it. One of these setups would be so much more fun.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yea, a couple years ago I had the separate helmet cam with a Canon camcorder. It sucked. I had it in a small Pelican case because I was worried about breaking the camera. Then I had to run the a/v cables and microphone, along with power cable to the camera...it was a PITA, so I rarely used it. One of these setups would be so much more fun.
thats actually still a better way than these helmet cams. the newer smaller "bullet" type cams attached to a recording device are better

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I like how the GoPro HD's case is waterproof to 180'.
Would be awesome for scuba, as well as biking/skydiving.

The Contour is only water resistant, so no good for submerging.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
The footage looks amazing.

Only bad point is that it mounts on top of the helmet, which is a dangerous place if a rider crashes and lands on their head the camera could dig into the ground and grip it.

Id prefer a side mount helmet, although though it could unbalance you, I dont know about that.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I seriously doubt you will find better footage for $269US. Sure you can get the Sony HCR MC1 at a cool $3k, but even that uses a CMOS sensor and that's according to Sony a "professional level POV camera", so they can't be that bad.

No idea what sort of shutter it uses.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I seriously doubt you will find better footage for $269US. Sure you can get the Sony HCR MC1 at a cool $3k, but even that uses a CMOS sensor and that's according to Sony a "professional level POV camera", so they can't be that bad.

No idea what sort of shutter it uses.
Here's the thing though. CMOS sensors aren't really any different price-wise from CCD cameras to make. Manufacturers are just being lazy. And as long as people are fine with it nothing will change. People are obsessing over HD this and HD that instead of actually getting a good picture, which has very little to do with pixel count. My frustration is that people aren't bringing it up so manufacturers don't know they should make some more options. But to willingly include a rolling shutter system on a camera that by design will be moving and shaking is absolutely retarded.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Here's the thing though. CMOS sensors aren't really any different price-wise from CCD cameras to make. Manufacturers are just being lazy. And as long as people are fine with it nothing will change. People are obsessing over HD this and HD that instead of actually getting a good picture, which has very little to do with pixel count. My frustration is that people aren't bringing it up so manufacturers don't know they should make some more options. But to willingly include a rolling shutter system on a camera that by design will be moving and shaking is absolutely retarded.
I just did a little reading and it seems like yes, they are a bit retarded for using a CMOS sensor. Didn't really under stand the whole rolling shutter thing until now. It's not like we'll be really worried about smear. It doesn't seem to be as noticable on the GoPro as on the Vholdr which shakes to all buggery.

I'm after bigger chips and lenses, not so much more pixels.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Yeah I saw that and yet the mtb clips look fine. It does do 60fps at 720p which should pretty well eliminate the problem.

Agassichan

Chimp
Sep 25, 2009
Hello all!

I really like to record onboard DH videos (SantuRacing at youtube). We're no perfect riders but we enjoy and learn a lot with that videos. We use pen cam and a Sony MiniDv cam to record. I'm planning to move to Flashcard cams because easy of use.

Does anybody have access to those cameras (ContourHD 1080p and GoPro HD)? I would like to have small sample videos from them to compare it correctly. Just 2 o 3 seconds of footage to check.

Some months ago, I've been looking to buy ConturHD, but with the raw web videos (DH at sea Otter) I've noticed that all the image is blurred when you stop it and view it at actual pixel size. With the base jump video it still happens. I don't know if it's a focus, compression, or quality issues.

With the preview GoPro HD it seems not to be happening, but It's a 720p recompression, so it's not a good comparison.

Buying these cameras, is a big worth for me, and I would like to spend my money correctly.

Can anybody help me?

Many thanks in advance!

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
From speaking with Vholdr, they currently don't have too many of the 1080p cameras out in the hands of the public, just the people they have designated to do some testing. Believe me, I've tried getting my hands on one......and still gonna try!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah I saw that and yet the mtb clips look fine.
We'll just have to just disagree on that one. ;)

Not as bad, granted, but would still be better served by a global shutter. There's still quite a bit of wavering going on. Not to mention the goofy strobing look from too high a shutter speed, which I don't think you can change on these things.

In all fairness though, my big gripe is that the footage from these things doesn't intermix well with footage from my regular 'main' camera. You watch a minute or so of non jello vision and then one of these clips comes in and it's just weird. If all you're looking to do is get POV shots ONLY, then sure, especially at that price range it's not a bad deal. I just wish there were more options out there. Manufacturers are just taking the lazy route IMO.