Quantcast

Gopro mounting options

teedubb

Chimp
Jan 16, 2018
How do your Gopro videos come out and how are you wearing/mounting the camera?

Thinking about getting a hero 6, but don’t really want to shell out the coin for a gimbal.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Which one are you using?
Beautiful area btw
Evo SS. Good stabilization. Noisy motors. Annoying design--have to loosen the mount to change batteries, and no on-board charger (have to swap or charge batteries externally).

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I paid $80 for my action cam, uses same gopro items. Sound and video quality are great. Only issue is that even the more powerful batteries on last about an hour. Dont know how long batteries last in a real gopro.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just stick mine on my chest. I do up the straps as tight as I can reach. Seems to do okay, but definitely not at smooth and floaty looking at @Toshi's.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Here's my lousy gimbal contribution. Despite a different model you can hear the noisy motors, too. Given the amount of body language needed for going over those east coast roxx, I don't think a chest mount without a gimbal would produce anything remotely watchable. The biggest disadvantage of the gimbal is that you look like a dork so I don't use it much.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have both a helmet mount and a chest strap. I prefer the footage from the chest mount as it's more accurate to what you see while riding, but I get a lot of slap. I'm still a camera noob so I think I just need to figure out a little bit better how to tighten things down. Would love a gimbal, but JHFC that's a lot of money for something that makes your mediocre footage a little less mediocre.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
True. That's why I don't camera at all. Also, my footage sucks and I am too lazy to edit. :busted: The only persons appreciating my videos are my parents. :think:
Yeah actually doing something with the footage is the other thing. And having to deal with a camera and the mounts or straps on a long ride blows donkey nuts (no way I'm wearing it for 2+ hours). Plus if I stuff the camera in my bag, it usually takes up a beer spot. :brows:

teedubb

Chimp
Jan 16, 2018
True. That's why I don't camera at all. Also, my footage sucks and I am too lazy to edit. :busted: The only persons appreciating my videos are my parents. :think:
Lol. I’m curious how much editing you can do on your phone via the Gopro app. I ain’t trying to become a YouTuber...well, maybe...they seem to make good money :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The biggest disadvantage of the gimbal is that you look like a dork so I don't use it much.
Any time I've worn a chesty, I've found it nestles nicely between my moobs and my gut, accentuating both. no thanks. I'd rather have to remember my ride with my memory than subject myself to that ridicule.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Any time I've worn a chesty, I've found it nestles nicely between my moobs and my gut, accentuating both. no thanks. I'd rather have to remember my ride with my memory than subject myself to that ridicule.
Primarily why all of mine are shot while riding solo....:busted:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've used a chest mount with a cheap go-pro knockoff. It is a nice novelty but no matter the quality of the video, it just isn't that interesting. It makes riding look boring. Do you guys actually watch your own videos?

Now strapping the camera to my idiot dog is pretty entertaining.

teedubb

Chimp
Jan 16, 2018
I've used a chest mount with a cheap go-pro knockoff. It is a nice novelty but no matter the quality of the video, it just isn't that interesting. It makes riding look boring. Do you guys actually watch your own videos?

Now strapping the camera to my idiot dog is pretty entertaining.
It fuggs angles up big time, but I still enjoy watching some youtuber’s vids. Mainly the downhill stuff is always fun

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
In general the best way to get enjoyable footage is to have another rider in frame. The GoPro 5 that I have does a decent job with in camera stabilization and some stabilization in Adobe but anything rough and chunky is generally not usable (the new GoPro 6 is supposed to be even better so gimbals might be on the way out.... hopefully). Still haven't sprung for a gimbals cause I already fuck around with this stuff too much before and after rides. Life was simpler when you could get gnarly without having to record it.

Editing up some footy after a good ride is pretty fun in my opinion. Here's my latest. After a big group ride in Santa Cruz. This was all shot from a helmet mount cause my buddy left the chest strap and second GoPro in the shuttle truck. I need to get a helmet that holds onto my head better or just run my full face for helmet shots. Some of the shaky-cam action is from the half shell I'm using bobbling around.

Last edited: