Quantcast

Got a ticket on my bicycle...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
...running a stop sign. I didn't know there was a cop behind me.

I am still a little mad, but it was a very debatable ticket. I really want to beat it either way.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
sanjuro said:
...running a stop sign. I didn't know there was a cop behind me.

I am still a little mad, but it was a very debatable ticket. I really want to beat it either way.
Haha! You idiot! :rolleyes: :blah:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I would contest it. You were on a bicycle, and not in a motor vehicle. The reason I mention this is that if they took your drivers license and wrote you a ticket, it could affect your car insurance. Or not.

I'd be curious to find out. Time to do some research...:think:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It would be ironic if you hit another cyclist because you failed to stop. He then beats you to within an inch of your life with a tire pump.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
sirknight6 said:
I would contest it. You were on a bicycle, and not in a motor vehicle. The reason I mention this is that if they took your drivers license and wrote you a ticket, it could affect your car insurance. Or not.

If you're on the street, riding or driving any vehicle, motorized or not, you are subject to the same laws. There are, I think, three or four exceptions in AZ. My wife thought I was crazy for yelling at her for running stop signs....until one day she stopped, crossed the intersection, and a cop pulled up beside her "Good job, it's nice NOT to have write a cyclist a ticket for running a stop sign, for once".

Given that, I would fight the ticket. There is always the chance the officer might not show up for court, and most courts will let you walk.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
sirknight6 said:
I don't know if it would affect your car insurance or not, but I guess it could. In VA, bikes traveling on the road are classified as "vehicles" and as such are required to follow all the same laws as motor vehicles. There are a few exceptions, mostly related to speed of travel. I got a written warning and a nice long lecture from a motorcycle cop on how he could write me up for reckless driving for splitting the lanes.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Reactor said:
Given that, I would fight the ticket. There is always the chance the officer might not show up for court, and most courts will let you walk.
Why fight it if you did it? You broke the law, you got caught, suck it up.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Andy_B said:
Same Rights same Rules.

Suck it up.
I always said I wish there were fewer bike rights but less enforcement as well.

I guess that is the product of learning how to ride in NYC.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
BikeGeek said:
I don't know if it would affect your car insurance or not, but I guess it could. In VA, bikes traveling on the road are classified as "vehicles" and as such are required to follow all the same laws as motor vehicles. There are a few exceptions, mostly related to speed of travel. I got a written warning and a nice long lecture from a motorcycle cop on how he could write me up for reckless driving for splitting the lanes.
I don't question the ticket, nor do I question the responsibility of riding a bike on the road. What I do question that if in fact that it should not affect car insurance, however, if one can get a ticket for the operation of a bicycle on the road, it affects the whatever point system of the particular jurisdiction one resides. That being the case, we can further conclude that if one accumulates points on their driving record, will, in fact, affect ones car insurance.

If we can reasonably draw that conclusion, then if anything happens to my bike, ie., Like I get hit, bike is stolen, Or I run into someone or something, in effect, my auto insurance should in fact cover damages.

yes I know it is AUTO insurance, however, I got a ticket on my MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSE. You can't have one without the other.

I rather like BigMikes idea, ride somewhere the cop couldnt go! :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
sirknight6 said:

I received a "Bicycle failure to stop", not an "auto" failure.

I plan on fighting it because I think I can win, not because I feel like some injustice was done to me. Really, I just think traffic law enforcement against bikes is unnecessary. I was riding suburban (that's why I got a ticket) back streets at 7:30pm at night on my way home to SF. And of course, if I get into an accident, who's the one who is going to get hurt?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
you don't want to go to court over the little ticket, because they will win and it will cost you more then what you have to pay now

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
sanjuro said:
I always said I wish there were fewer bike rights but less enforcement as well.

I guess that is the product of learning how to ride in NYC.
You know the laws, you chose to break the law and you got busted.

Suck it up and pay the fine.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
sanjuro said:
Really, I just think traffic law enforcement against bikes is unnecessary. I was riding suburban (that's why I got a ticket) back streets at 7:30pm at night on my way home to SF. And of course, if I get into an accident, who's the one who is going to get hurt?
I tend to agree, as long as you didn't blow through going flat chat leaving grannies sprawled in your wake there should be some wiggle room there. There's the letter of the law and then there's the spirit of the law, guess your cop chose the former.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
sanjuro said:
And of course, if I get into an accident, who's the one who is going to get hurt?
So what if the driver swerves trying to miss you and plows into another car or worst onto a side walk and takes out some innocent pedestrians?

Maybe the fact that you disregard traffic laws on your bike is why a lot of people don't respect cyclist rights.

It's funny that you think that because you ride a bike you shouldn't have to obey the law.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
BikeGeek said:
Why fight it if you did it? You broke the law, you got caught, suck it up.
The only reason to fight it is because it might effect your auto insurance rates, and there is a good chance you'll get off.

Ethically, I'd just say "my bad" and be done with it. In 22 years of driving I've had two tickets, one of those was BS, but I couldn't fight it because something came up at work at the last moment.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
sirknight6 said:
What I do question that if in fact that it should not affect car insurance, however, if one can get a ticket for the operation of a bicycle on the road, it affects the whatever point system of the particular jurisdiction one resides. That being the case, we can further conclude that if one accumulates points on their driving record, will, in fact, affect ones car insurance.
Awesome assumptions!

Completely off-base but very entertaining.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
sirknight6 said:
I don't question the ticket, nor do I question the responsibility of riding a bike on the road. What I do question that if in fact that it should not affect car insurance, however, if one can get a ticket for the operation of a bicycle on the road, it affects the whatever point system of the particular jurisdiction one resides. That being the case, we can further conclude that if one accumulates points on their driving record, will, in fact, affect ones car insurance.

If we can reasonably draw that conclusion, then if anything happens to my bike, ie., Like I get hit, bike is stolen, Or I run into someone or something, in effect, my auto insurance should in fact cover damages.

yes I know it is AUTO insurance, however, I got a ticket on my MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSE. You can't have one without the other.

I rather like BigMikes idea, ride somewhere the cop couldnt go! :D
This seems relevant:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc1803.htm

Check out section b, #6

(b) The following violations are not required to be reported under subdivision (a):

(6) Violations for which a person was cited as a pedestrian or while operating a bicycle or a motorized scooter.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Reactor said:
The only reason to fight it is because it might effect your auto insurance rates, and there is a good chance you'll get off.
This is something that I feel should be taken up with your insurance company, not through the legal system.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Where did this happen specifically?

I agree with "same rights, same rules" but I don't see anything wrong with trying to fight it. People do it all the time, and if the cop doesn't show up you're golden. But good luck with your argument about enforcement. There are plenty of rules that exist to keep people from hurting themselves.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wumpus said:
So what if the driver swerves trying to miss you and plows into another car or worst onto a side walk and takes out some innocent pedestrians?

Maybe the fact that you disregard traffic laws on your bike is why a lot of people don't respect cyclist rights.

It's funny that you think that because you ride a bike you shouldn't have to obey the law.
Good one! Should I shoot any driver that cuts me off, drives in the bike lane, or just a jerk-off because I am saving lives by killing lawbreakers?

I was riding a quiet street with one car going in the opposite direction. There were no pedestrians, and I was going a small down hill but I was braking the entire way, doing about 10mph. The other car was moving straight, which is when I released my brakes. I could have stopped at any time in 5 feet if he was making a left turn.

The cop thought I did 20 through the stop sign. Considering the top speed on the entire ride was 25mph, I doubt it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sanjuro said:
I was riding a quiet street with one car going in the opposite direction. There were no pedestrians, and I was going a small down hill but I was braking the entire way, doing about 10mph. The other car was moving straight, which is when I released my brakes. I could have stopped at any time in 5 feet if he was making a left turn.
Do you think this argument is a winner if you were driving a car?

Just my quick $.02....

I've spent more than my share of time in traffic court in the past so I do speak from experience. You ran the stop sign, you got a ticket, you will pay a fine. If you show up to court in person, the fine will most likely be reduced, but you will pay something. Sucks to be you.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
Do you think this argument is a winner if you were driving a car?
No course not. But a car and bike are not exactly the same now.

I know this is a loser of an argument, so I will drop out of it now. What I don't like is after the ticket, I slowed down at every stop sign to under 5mph. The indecision about running stops really puts me at risk.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sanjuro said:
No course not. But a car and bike are not exactly the same now.

I know this is a loser of an argument, so I will drop out of it now. What I don't like is after the ticket, I slowed down at every stop sign to under 5mph. The indecision about running stops really puts me at risk.
It is hypocritical to expect cars to follow the rules but think you get some special exemption. You want the protection of law - you want to be treated like a vehicle when it comes to having your right to a lane, etc. - but you don't think you should have to stop for a stop sign? That is weak, and people taking your position are part of the reason we don't get respect on the road. I'm not saying I don't coast through a stop sign now and then - but I don't try to justify it.

And you are creating the risk through your own indecision.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
It is hypocritical to expect cars to follow the rules but think you get some special exemption. You want the protection of law - you want to be treated like a vehicle when it comes to having your right to a lane, etc. - but you don't think you should have to stop for a stop sign? That is weak, and people taking your position are part of the reason we don't get respect on the road. I'm not saying I don't coast through a stop sign now and then - but I don't try to justify it.

And you are creating the risk through your own indecision.
Your justification for running stop signs is "I don't justify my behavior".

Why don't you pay my ticket to alleviate your hypocrisy? Then the next time you advocate one thing and do another, you're covered.

You do exactly the same behavior I do on a bike, but I don't criticize other riders.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sanjuro said:
Your justification for running stop signs is "I don't justify my behavior".

Why don't you pay my ticket to alleviate your hypocrisy? Then the next time you advocate one thing and do another, you're covered.

You do exactly the same behavior I do on a bike, but I don't criticize other riders.
You're missing the point. My saying that I run a stop sign now and then is not in any way a justification or advocacy. It is an admission of wrong, in the same way I admitted I was wrong when I got a ticket on Tam a little while back. I also admit that I sometimes exceed the speed limit in my car. That doesn't mean I think it's ok, and if I get caught I am not going to argue that the speed limit doesn't apply to ME. Yes, when it comes to this stuff I am a hypocrit. But at least I admit it.

You, on the other hand, are just making lame excuses.

And don't be presumptuous - I don't do the same things as you. For one example, I don't blow stop signs when there are people around in cars that will see me do it. I know that each time someone in a car sees it happen, they have a little less respect for cyclists. Like you I spend a lot time out there. I would like to see more respect, not less. It's pretty simple.

You are focused purely on yourself, not what it takes for bikes and cars to co-exist. You would laugh if a motorist used some of your arguments. Despite what you think, for purposes of this debate there is no difference.