Quantcast

Got Hops?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
A friend said she had some hop vines and I was free to come pick whatever I wanted. I didn't take a camera but her vines were infested (for lack of a better word) with hops.

I picked for an hour until I got tired and had half a paper bag full. You couldn't tell that I had even picked any... I plan on going back soon.

She didn't know what kind they were, but thought they were 'golden' something. She grew them for their colorful gold leaves...

I'm guessing some kind of Golding.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
nice man! I'll take some pictures of the hops I've been playing with lately... Lets just say it's slightly more than that... lol

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
don't you live at the source?

I just ordered 3 pounds from eastern wa.

I purchased 70 pounds of grain on Friday, now it's brew time! :D

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yea I live at the source, and we are in the middle of harvest. My job is to haul the bales of hops from the ranches into the warehouses. I can haul 150 bales at a time, each bale weighing roughly 200 pounds. Thats around 15 tons of hops per load, 3 times a day. I'll get some pictures of the whole show this afternoon and post em up.

edit.. whatd ya pay for 3 lbs? Come on over to yakivegas and I'll hook you up man!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
On the vine...

Waiting at the picking machine

In the kiln, drying out

Waiting to be baled

On the truck, being unloaded

Harvest is crazy... They pick and process 24/7 till it's over. Most of the valley around here is teeming with hop trucks and the odor of hops.

I'm glad that your getting a taste of some fresh hops man! Not much else like it I think.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I can only imagine what that warehouse smells like!

So, I just moved to Pullman and am already in a group of homebrewers. Last night we started a batch of a fresh-hopped winter somethin' ale. One of the guys is going to help me start my own hops vines around the house.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
On the vine...

Harvest is crazy... They pick and process 24/7 till it's over. Most of the valley around here is teeming with hop trucks and the odor of hops.

I'm glad that your getting a taste of some fresh hops man! Not much else like it I think.
hiring any seasonal workers? ;) :D

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah, seriously. I just moved to Palouse.
Palouse huh? like the region or the community? Palouse is a kick ass little town. Are you working at WSU? I'll be down there in a couple weeks to visit some friends. I can even bring down a bag of fresh hops if theyre needed.

and btw, the smell is over powering. Your clothes reak, people get out of your line at the grocery store its so intense. Its especially intense when I'm working in the packaged hops building, where we brick up the hops into one pound blocks.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'd love to come over and thanks for the invitation but it would cost me more in gas then what I paid from fresh hops. under 7 bucks a pound.

Plus, my car just died. So I won't be going anywhere anytime soon....

Those pics are awsome though!