Quantcast

Got me some new pots and pans

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I've been watching the sales for some heavy stainless steel ones. Costco just raised the price on their set by about $75!!! I ended up with a set of "Cooks Professional" half off, JC Penneys and so far I am really happy. Nicely designed, nice heavy bottoms, but what I really like is that someone was thinking and you can use the lids on different pans. The dutch oven, saute pan and large skillet all take the same lid. That was one thing I hated about the Calphalon II, each one had a different lid and nothing fit the large skillet.
Of course they can go in the dishwasher if you want. I really like the deep saute pan with a lid, I haven't had one of those before. The set did come with a couple of non-stick skillets, but it seems like a much better ( harder, more durable) non-stick than the C-II.

The C-II is now packed up, along with the old revere ware, waiting for which ever kid gets an apartment first.

Scary, cleaning out my pots and pans. Six bread pans? Leftovers from my hippy breadbaking days. Two cast iron DO's ?(not counting the camping one!). I could never get rid of the one, very first Xmas present from hubby, the other is a fantastic La Crueset that I use all the time... Funny how you can get sentimental about your pans....

gg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Do they have the glass tops with the little hole for letting off steam? I have one big stockpot with a top like that and it makes a Godawful holy mess when I try to boil stuff. I can't even leave the lid on.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
:) Not a problem! I generally search here first. I've got my eye on a couple of stainless steel sets and am debating whether I should get a set or just the pieces I use the most.
We got a set from Costco and we pretty much use every piece. The little saute pan gets the least use. Usually just for buttered sage sauce, Gorgonzola cream sauce, or toasting pine nuts. :drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
treesaw, if you have a TJ Maxx store near you, check in their kitchenware inventory from time to time to see if they've got any le creuset cookware...it's pricey, but sometimes you can get awesome bargains @ TJM for 2nds (like uneven coloring, or maybe a pinhole void in the enamel, stuff like that).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I am looking at his. I will be heading out to Bed Bath & Beyond this weekend
That's exactly where we got ours. I think it was like $199 for enough pots and pans to cook a school bus full of children for a cannibal feast.

I don't know if Emeril has recipes for school children. Will you ask him?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
treesaw, if you have a TJ Maxx store near you, check in their kitchenware inventory from time to time to see if they've got any le creuset cookware...it's pricey, but sometimes you can get awesome bargains @ TJM for 2nds (like uneven coloring, or maybe a pinhole void in the enamel, stuff like that).
Excellent tip. I hadn't thought of checking there. I did stop at a local "Tuesday Morning" store and they had a 2 1/2 qt. dutch oven for $80, but I was thinking I'd rather go with either the 5.5 round or 6.75 wide mouth or maybe even the oval ones.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
For Le Crueset stuff, I like to check out http://www.caplanduval.com/ - they carry a large assortment and when colors get discontinued or they have an overstock, they put them on sale. Their shipping prices are pretty decent as well.
Thanks! That's a great link!!!! Now I guess I have to really decide on which size and shape I want!

Damn...the blue oval ones are $140.56!!!! And, the Red rounds are $179.45!!!

:monkeydance:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Update: I went and looked at the Emerilware and I like it! I think I am going to end up going with the bigger set though (15 piece) because I really use my smaller saucepans quite a bit and to buy them individually would be silly (the set price is much better).

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Ok, so I got my pans! It was an interesting saga, but WELL worth the investigation. I went to my local Bed Bath & Beyond to get the 14 piece set and they don't carry them in-store.I actually bought the Emerilware 10pc set and added on the 1qt. covered sauce pan and the 4qt. chef's pan. Because I bought enough, I ended up getting the free grill pan (I already have one so I will either exchange it or gift it) and credit for a set of measuring cups (because they were out). I am also probably going to add the 1qt. saucier at some point as well. I ended up spending less than if I had gotten the 14 piece set shipped to me because they let me use my 20% off coupon on each of the items. So far, I have washed them and used the 3 qt. casserole pan to make chicken & dumplings last night. :thumb: