Quantcast

Got my GT IT-1

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
I had one for testing some months back (small review here on RM), and what's new is the Hope M4's, the headangle isn't as steep and they've put some sort of plastic mudcovers around the gearbox/Nexus housing.

Not sure if I really like the plastic thingys, as it looks kinda like what you find on your bmx when you buy it factory assembled. But they've done a great job when you think about the fact that the frame was already in production when they had to add them, and since it's fall here in Norway - I've get a chance to see what they're worth this weekend.

The discs are Shimano Saint RT80's.

The bike looks even more awesome in real life. It's so massive...and with the DH40's and the massive black tires and rims, it has its own presence here in my livingroom.

The forecast is crap for tomorrow, so I guess I won't really test it until sunday. But I need to change the Fox spring on the shock, so on sunday it'll be a tuned in bike for me to ride.

(btw; starting to get kinda tired in my face...after wearing this wide grin for 4 hours straight)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Wow, that bike looks pretty sweet. Even if GT is owned by pacific, at least they're trying some new things these days.

Oh, and Kenda Nevegals are awesome. They are basically my standard tire these days. Last quite a while, decent in hard stuff (knobs not folding or anything) and great in slightly soft dirt and mixed conditions.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
That thing looks awsome!!! Congrats mate :)
I'll try to join you on the ride sunday. Gonna be fun! Hope we can have some sun. Always good to have sun on the first day with a new bike and all.

Cheers

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
JRogers said:
Even if GT is owned by pacific, at least they're trying some new things these days.
owned, bankrolled....who gives a crap where the cash comes from. Its like Rocky Mountain is ownd by Procycle but Procycle doesnt get involved with the operation.....actually maybe it would help RM if they did :think:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
zedro said:
owned, bankrolled....who gives a crap where the cash comes from. Its like Rocky Mountain is ownd by Procycle but Procycle doesnt get involved with the operation.....actually maybe it would help RM if they did :think:
Yeah, that's my point. People get so hung up on frame companies being small, as if size is inherently a detriment to the finished product. I don't know how separate GT and Pacific are, but I don't really care.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
well..anyway...pacific or not...I got the bike, after 3 months of waiting...and today it snows. How ironic isn't that...? First snow of the season comes the day after I got the bike...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just checked out the bike at the shop and its sweet. I am 6.1 and the medium feel nice. As Trigger said the plastic covers looks super cheap and more frame protection is necessary where the chain will hit the frame. I love the feel of the bike with all the weight in the center of the bike but since I have not pointed it down hill I have no idea of how that will effect the ride.

Bike weight with a pair of NYC Freeride Race pedals is 45 lbs.

Is the BB a little on the high side or is it just me who is used to a low BB on the Sunday?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
The posts of Hate for pacific cycle are from those without knowledge.

If you are fan of bicycles and a fan of racing, then you owe Pacific cycle a thank you, they have done more than you know. Bankrolling a MASSIVE cycling program even after Hyundai just left with their millions of dollars is enough to toast to Pacific Cycle. Mongoose, Schwinn and GT (MTB and BMX) racing will still go on,...all on Pacific cycles' budget-how can you dislike that?

I am still impressed that Pacific did not dismantle the GT engine completely, they left the RnD office in so-cal, kept some old school GT folks involved, still have the test facility in colo., I mean after all GT has been through, you have to give them a lot of props on this new bike.

Pacific is still keeping major Old schoolers like Hans, Lopes, Carter, Fuzzy Hall, TJ Lavin, Stumphauser and the like around and for that I commend them...as well as hiring on young new talent in all sports, for all their brands. Much like specialized's loyalty to Ned Overend, I give respect to pacific for keeping things the same as much as they can.

Hell, I left on good terms even though I did not get things the way I wanted last year, but they are all still good people at pacific and they are letting the so-cal GT office do as much on their own as they can.

Anyway, congrats on the bike, it looks buff, I am sure you will love it and get good support from GT on it as well.

stik

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
sweet ride!

Trigger said:
well..anyway...pacific or not...I got the bike, after 3 months of waiting...and today it snows. How ironic isn't that...? First snow of the season comes the day after I got the bike...
It's a sign, dont ride till spring lol!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i would have to agree with stik on the pacific note. i know that they are known for cheap k-mart and wal-mart bikes but they have left GT almost completely alone. also after restructuring mongoose to get they back on their feet they are now allowing mongoose to make same pretty sweet bikes (i'm considering the top end black dimond bike myself). the only one that they have so far religated to making lower end bike is schwinn, but even here they are starting to let schwinn to start to make higher end bikes agian

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
So...went out riding for several hours today. oh my, oh my...this is one sweet machine!

A friend of mine took some shots, and they'll be posted as soon as he gets home.

A comment to CBJ regarding frameprotection. Chainslap is not an issue. Been riding several hours today, and not a scratch. You need to move the rearwheel all the way back so that the spring-pully-thingy above the chainstay is about 6-7mm above. It'll feel like a singlespeed bike or a bmx, it gets tight - but no slap.

The plastic covers do really look cheap, and they don't belong on a bike at this price. But today they where handy, since there was huge amounts of mud (pictures will come). I've spoken to a place where they make customparts an carbon - so some new covers will be ready soon...if GT doesn't decide to make some themselves, when they realise that this takes away some of the bling-bling.

But the demands for the plastic came from europe, and it's because of all the mud in UK and here in scandinavia. So GT should have some cred for turning around that fast, and making those covers just a couple of weeks before the bike was shipped.

But to the most important thing; the ride. Holy! This ride is so plush it's beyond what I dreamed for. This is my first bike with the new Fox rearshock, and they sure did one hell of a job with that one.
The fork eats up everything aswell, and it's so stiff!

The high pivotpoint together with the lack of unsprung weight on the rear triangle make the rearsuspension so fast and accurate you just fly over any bumps...matched with the dh40 we talk about eating up the terrain totally. It was just awesome...it's the same feeling you get in high speed on a racelink.

Next season will be a blast!

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Had an excelent day of riding with Trigger, on his new beauty today.
Despite the supercrappy wether, (snow, slush and mud all over the place), we took quite a few runs, and the IT seemed to perform great. Just looking at Triggers face everytime we came to the bottom of the track, I just knew this bike is good. :)
The mudcower didn't loot that bad imo. But it sure is functional, no doubt about that. Gonna be interesting to se how the bike keeps up in the long term. Big props to GT for putting this bike into production :thumb:

Trigger poses with his new bike:

Excelent test-conditions:

Post ride, a few pounds heavyer:

Sverre

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
cold, muddy, bloody, and ronchy conditions. man just the way to brake in a nice clean bike. awsome pics and looks like fun hopefully my wrist will be better when i get a chance to ride. sweet pics and awsome ride.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
Sorry i took so ling to post an update on the bike. I've been riding it quite a bit now and i really like it. The cahinstays felt huge to begin with but just like any bike i adjusted to it and now i dont even notice them. The shifting is butter smooth and i have not had any problems yet. About the new DH-i, i still havent heard anything about them yet but we saw them at interbike and i am very excited to try to get my hands on one.
Also i wanted to thank stick for standing up for Pacific. At the shop we have delt with them from both a consumer standpoint and a sponsered rider standpoint and we have nothing but good things to say. They have not caused any type of decrease in GT's quality and obviously, with the IT-1, they have not hurt the company's technology. Being owned by Pacific just allows GT to produce a very high quality product for much less money.

BTW, my IT-1 didn't come with the plastic covers on the chain. I have not had any issues thus far with anything getting sucked in there. So if u really dont like the look then just take them off.