Quantcast

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Here is the current tentative schedule
We did not and still wish we could hold out, as the contracts for many locations still need to turned in and they all have until March 25th.
I appreciate the update and tentative schedule. Even though the schedule is not set in stone it still helps plan out the summer with some possible dates. Looking forward to racing some more GES races this year.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I just did the math. If I attend all the races (not including finals) it will be 4068 miles round trip. My truck gets 20mpg on a good day so thats 203.4 gallons of gas, using $3.45/gallon as a average price (very conservative average) that's $701.73 in gas. Gonna make a spreadsheet right now with registration fees, lodging, food, booze etc. to see roughly how much I need to save over the next few months. :eek:

Fingers Crossed that more venues have affordable (free) camping options.

nocorider

Chimp
Jan 27, 2007
Dan looks like a great choose of east coast mountains. I know their tentative dates, but Sugarbush is on the same weekend as national champs. Anyway it could become the finals? Best track from last year.

Tim

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Dan looks like a great choose of east coast mountains. I know their tentative dates, but Sugarbush is on the same weekend as national champs. Anyway it could become the finals? Best track from last year.

Tim
Having Sugarbush be the finals on the same weekend as National Champs would be a Fail of Epic proportion.

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT

Tim
yea big WHITE! I second this. it is a great track and its one of 2 races close to home and i am absolutely gonna have to skip for national champs. this race struggles a little being as far north as it is. i vote absolutely change the date or dont even host it cause it might be a loss...

also, people not pleased with some of the venues not in the series, notice dan mentioned that he sent contracts to 15 venues!!!! whether they chose to comply is their call. but dan must have these contracts in place because otherwise he might be paying out of pocket for some of these races if he doesnt get the shares he needs. how many of you would be willing to do that? If anyone is willing to do that, then lets have dan make a contract for you stating you have to pay the difference that was kept by the hosting mountain. i dont have the nads for it so thats why i dont hate and just participate, twinkle twinkle baby, twinkle twinkle.

Last edited:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
also, people not pleased with some of the venues not in the series, notice dan mentioned that he sent contracts to 15 venues!!!! whether they chose to comply is their call.
Well there's a lot to putting a schedule together for both Dan and those 15 venues. Each mountain has to evaluate the contract and determine if its in their best interest to be a part of it. It's not as simple as just signing whatever contract unfortunately to get a race put on. It's a lot of back and forth between the them all i'm sure.

It'll be awesome when all these dates are set for all the summer races so I can get to picking which ones to check out!

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
Nice work Dan, thanks for leaking this out and giving us an idea of what we are in for - I am sure it is an ass load of work to put it all together.

National Champs at Beech Mtn, NC conflicting with Sugarbush is a pretty big one. We all know Sugarbush is the best GES course of the year. That is going to be a very tough decision for some folks including myself...

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2009
I also hope that Sugarbush does not conflict with national champs. It has been a few years since national champs have been on the east coast. It would really be a shame if all the fastest east coast riders that have been bread from the GES could not attend due to a conflict in dates. National champs is a chance for the GES to prove the kind of talent it can, and has produced. I hope that it can be that opportunity for many.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I also hope that Sugarbush does not conflict with national champs. It has been a few years since national champs have been on the east coast. It would really be a shame if all the fastest east coast riders that have been bread from the GES could not attend due to a conflict in dates. National champs is a chance for the GES to prove the kind of talent it can, and has produced. I hope that it can be that opportunity for many.
it's also a shame that USAC is handling the DH national champs the way they are.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Gotcha. So Sugarbush is a good course? I might have to chose only 1 or 2 between Sugar, Killington, and Highlands because those 3 are all 425+ miles.

Quick question, is it 5 of 7 races this year? (for the overall) And the finals of course...
I'd have to suggest either SB, or SB and Killington. Highland is a great venue for freeriding, but they're limited in course selection, so everybody will be running the same course, and locals have a distinct advantage as they'll generally have been riding that course for the last 15 weekends...just a suggestion. Go to Highland to freeride, skip it to race. It's also probably the furthest from you....

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
All we have been hearing is about all the hard work it is put on the GES and I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.....but

The GES Promoter will happily tell you all day long how connected he is to USAC...yet he tentatively proposes and sends out a contract to Sugarbush for a race the same weekend as the USAC Gravity National Championships.

I think it would have been pretty easy to find out when the National Champs were and not conflict with that weekend.

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
Yes I did but in years past 90% of the races where in the NE, I like this years schedule
Me too!! Loving the schedule. Us mid Atlantic folks had to do all of the driving last year. Glad to see 5 races within 5 hrs.
The SB date has to be changed. That is such a conflict with Nats, unless GES is seeking the lowest turnout ever for a series race.

Oct 7, 2010
I'd have to suggest either SB, or SB and Killington. Highland is a great venue for freeriding, but they're limited in course selection, so everybody will be running the same course, and locals have a distinct advantage as they'll generally have been riding that course for the last 15 weekends...just a suggestion. Go to Highland to freeride, skip it to race. It's also probably the furthest from you....

I thought Sugarbush had one of the best courses of the season, with the exception of the lift line (which they have solved for this year) it is a must race for me this year.

I have to disagree with you one Highland though. That place had an awesome race course and I loved it. One of the few places where there was more than one line to choose from in multiple sections and it was a blast to race a full speed. I also found it to have a pretty decent amount of DH trails that would make fun race courses. Not to mention they actually cut a fresh trail section for the GES race which threw the locals for a loop.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
UPDATED SCHEDULE - Blue is seriously consider honoring our Finals Date

Here is the current tentative schedule
We did not and still wish we could hold out, as the contracts for many locations still need to turned in and they all have until March 25th.

So this schedule and locations here and there could possibly change, we send out contracts to all interested Mountain locations in the East. This year 15 contracts have been sent out and we have to make dates and locations work as best we can and as you all know many are in Snow mode. So we are just getting some dates now and we try to avoid stepping on other series.

We want to Thank You All!!! We can tell from this thread the GES is a well enjoyed, sought out series of events, we just have to get all the complex issues completed before we even release a tentative schedule and we did have some unfortunate delays and now the closing of Blue has us working even harder to make the series the best we can.

If you have any comments or question please email us at gravityeastseries@gmail.com

1.Snowshoe WV June 4-5

2.Wisp MD June 18-19

3. Seven Springs PA July 23-24

4. Sugarbush, VT August 6-7 FYI they increased the lift from 40 bikes to 120 for this season Yeah and NO WEDDINGS!

5.Killington VT August 13-14

6.Highland Mountain Bike Park, NH August 27-28

7.Launch @ Spring Mountain PA September 17-18

8. Finals not set Oct. 1-2 (we are already in discussion with Blue Mtn Mgmnt as well as other locations central or near Blue Mtn)

gravitydad

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
NY
it's also a shame that USAC is handling the DH national champs the way they are.
Remember when DH used to be fun? all the polotics are just too much!

Used to be that you raced at a local series and hit up some regional races and hoped for a shot to get qualifed for Nat's. Now, it seems like ESC is trying to compete with GE and the focus is all lost... riders having to choose which venues to hit and still be in certain series for points contention, USAC placed the Nat's in Sept for whatever reason, and the list goes on an on....

Good Grief....:rant: