Quantcast

Gravity East Finals @ Blue Mountain, PA Oct 1 & 2

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
The first post is about the Facility details, the second post is all the Lodging and scheduling information and the third post is a course review by the Builder Neko Mulally!

Gravity East Series Race # 8, “The Finals”, Blue Mountain, Palmerton PA

The Gravity East Series rolls onto the Poconos Mountains in North Eastern Pennsylvania to Blue Mountain Ski Area located in Palmerton PA the weekend of October 1 & 2 for now race # 8 “The Finals” of this 2011 Gravity East Series season.

Blue Mountain Ski Area is in its second season hosting the Gravity East Series Finals. This year’s course has been developed and constructed by Neko Mullaly of Reading PA who is a member of the Trek World Racing Team and has been riding in the UCI World Cup Series for two years. Neko has spent a few years participating in the GES and took first in last years 2010 Gravity East Series Finals Race and has had many a podium spots.

Once again this year it looks to be another exciting and competitive finish to the 2011 season. Besides the excitement in the Elite’s it also moves down to the amateur categories where it looks to be a very close finish for numerous age groups.

This year facilities will be fully open so that riders will be able to eat and stay all weekend long at Blue Mountain. Food will be available all weekend in the Valley Adventure Center with also a full bar. Camping will also be available all weekend long free to the riders.

Besides all the cash for the Elite’s and prizes for the Amateur’s there will be a raffle on Sunday.

A Morpheus Cycles bike frame Model: Chaos courtesy of Morpheus Cycles of Bronx NY will be raffled off to Amateur riders.

So come out to Blue Mountain for the most exciting and fun weekend of the season. Watch in anticipation who will take the top spots of the 2011 Gravity East Season.

For more information about Blue Mountain Ski Area and Gravity East Series Race # 8, “The Finals” please visit our website: www.gravityeastseries.com or visit us on Facebook at Official Gravity East Series.

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011

Registration, Race Info & Lodging

Race Tickets, Pro Men & Women $ 80.00, Category 1,2, 3 $ 75.00

On line registration now open.

Register here now!

Online registration closes Thursday, 09/29/11 at 11:45pm ET

Schedule

NO RIDING, & NO LIFTS WILL BE RUNNING FRIDAY!

Saturday 10/01

On-Site Registration 9am – 4pm

Course Practice 9am – 5pm

Sunday 10/02

On-Site Registration 8am – 10am

Course Inspection Runs 8:30am – 11:00am

Start List Posted by 11:30am

Race Start 12:30pm ET

Awards to follow Official Results TBD

Gravity East Series Finals Men’s and Women’s Elite purse total $ 5000.00

Additionally a raffle for a Morpheus Cycles bike frame will be held on Sunday 10/02 for Amateur categories only!

Lodging Info

Camping will be available all weekend long at Blue Mountain Free of charge. Blue Mountain will be selling firewood for 5.00 a bundle, so open fires are ok too.

Lodging is available in the immediate area by contacting Country Inn & Suites in Lehighton PA at 610-379-5066. For more information about this lodging site please visit: www.countryinns.com
Please mention the Gravity East Series race for a discounted price. Lehighton PA is 15 miles or 20 minutes from Blue Mountain. For other lodging sources check the Allentown PA area which is about 25 miles or 35 minutes from Blue Mountain.

Food & Beverage

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner will be available both Saturday and Sunday at Blue Mountain.

Food will be available all day long inside the Valley Adventure Center located at Blue Mountain and they also have a full bar for your adult beverage needs.

Red Bull will also be present at Blue Mountain during the GES Finals passing out Free samples of there great product.

Wi-Fi

For those of you who like to stay in touch Wi-Fi is available all over the Blue Mountain facility.

Also once again Live Results will be available on Race Day by visiting: www.live-timing.com

Promotions

Besides all the cash and prizes that will be doled about by the Gravity East Series for the GES Finals there will be an added bonus.
Morpheus Cycles from Bronx NY has provided up with one of there great bike frames for the GES Finals. For more info about Morpheus Cycles and there products please visit: http://www.morpheususa.com

Blue Mountain Ski Area Directions

When searching a map service or a GPS unit for directions to Blue Mountain please use the following address:

1660 Blue Mountain Dr Palmerton PA 18071

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
Track description of Blue Mountain Finals:

The GE Finals track at Blue Mountain is going to be a lot of fun this year. We linked up existing trails, built some new connecting sections and put in a few jumps at the top. The track will be marked wide creating lots of line options and allow riders to maintain high speeds. There will be some good old open ski slope turns that will be a ton of fun. The jumps will be challenging for the pro riders but will be built so that the guys who are not hitting them wont loose much time. Aside from the jumps, It will be the kind of track where everyone can ride down the whole thing fine first run, but as you get up to speed it gets to be pretty difficult. It will be challenging and fun for every category. There will be a lot less pedaling than races at Blue in the past. If you want to ride fast, get loose, hit some jumps, and have a good time riding your bike, come out and join us at Blue Mountain this weekend.

-Neko Mulally

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Racing ONLY Saturday and Sunday ONLY, sorry
If we can get a good turnout this coming weekend (so please attend) and run the race well and the mountain makes some $$ there is a good chance we can return or even get them back into building and maintaining a park, yes it is hopefull but we are up to the challenge. Hope this race proves MTB riding at Blue can be productive. Hence why so many other mountains keep it in there offerings. Tooo many peeps like this place I would be one to see it reappear as an MTB park.:thumb:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
So the only trail open is the race course? Or can we freeride the other trails as well? If we can ride the other trails are they cleaned / worked on as well?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If we can get a good turnout this coming weekend (so please attend) and run the race well and the mountain makes some $$ there is a good chance we can return or even get them back into building and maintaining a park
isnt the whole water park preventing this from happening anytime soon?

i mean im all for it...Blue is a ton of fun, especially in the wet! i unfortunately will only be able to attend on sunday now

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
So the only trail open is the race course? Or can we freeride the other trails as well? If we can ride the other trails are they cleaned / worked on as well?
Correct Jason, it is only Saturday and Sunday and only the race course they allowed us to choose and we gave that task to Neko Mulally who is personally excited about this event.

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
If we can get a good turnout this coming weekend (so please attend) and run the race well and the mountain makes some $$ there is a good chance we can return or even get them back into building and maintaining a park, yes it is hopefull but we are up to the challenge. Hope this race proves MTB riding at Blue can be productive. Hence why so many other mountains keep it in there offerings. Tooo many peeps like this place I would be one to see it reappear as an MTB park.:thumb:
I have been a GES follower..... but this really cuts against the grain with me. Blue should not have the finals...we can't ride anything but the race trail....and after they pulled the rug out on Mtb from under our friend and someone who really tried to work for the riders..Mr Whitehead, its sad to see that GES believes this is a good thing and is supporting Blue.

The finals should be held at Highland it just makes sense to have it at a mountain that is actually helping the sport and supporting racers and riders.

Thanks again Dan Whitehead for all you did!

I'm sure Mr. Mulally has put together a sick course and it will be fun.

rant over

Last edited:

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
isnt the whole water park preventing this from happening anytime soon?

i mean im all for it...Blue is a ton of fun, especially in the wet! i unfortunately will only be able to attend on sunday now
The water park will in no way affect our race.

It's nowhere near the bike park.:thumb:

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
I'd love to come out and support GES too, but not at a mountain that will have you arrested by state police if you ride there any other time. If they even see a bike they will be on you like flies on $@%t. Way to support the riding community Blue!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'd love to come out and support GES too, but not at a mountain that will have you arrested by state police if you ride there any other time. If they even see a bike they will be on you like flies on $@%t. Way to support the riding community Blue!
You're mad because they'll have you arrested for riding on private property?

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
Not mad, but rather dissapointed for the lack of support. This place would be easy to shuttle and have plenty of volunteers if they chose to leave a trail or two open. Also earlier this year there was no signage posting the NO BIKES ALLOWED rule, and the mountain remains "open" for other recreation activitys. They didnt have the courtesy to post signs or make a public statement about this at all,they just started goin apesh!t on people for riding.

Reklaw

Chimp
Feb 10, 2011
If someone is registered for the race, how are they (Blue Mtn./Gravity East) going to stop people from riding the old trails. If I was racing this weekend, I would definitely get a few runs on the other trails

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
I thought it was closed because you guys were going to be working on the waterpark. And if it is about losing money, extend your trail system. It doesn't have to cost any money to make new trails...especially up here in PA.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i'd consider it (if it existed - demo9 was asking), but it would still be close to $40 to ride just a single trail
I was just asking, i may race it, but i like the option not to if i dont like the track, that said, i think neko knows how to make a track :D

Reklaw

Chimp
Feb 10, 2011
Guys, you have to think about it from a liability standpoint. This is a USAC sanctioned event, their insurance covers racing on a designated race course.

Let's keep this thread about the GES finals and not the politics of operating a Bike Park. If you want to discuss that further then use this thread: Vertical Earth “ State of the Union “
Are you saying that registered racers at GES races are only allowed to ride the designated race course? This doesn't seem to make any sense

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
The GES had a contract to have the finals at Blue for 2 years. After the bike park closed the mountain agreed to let the GES still have the finals here this year. Since the bike park is closed the only trail to ride is the race course (like Massanutten) built by Neko Mulally. The GES is not a party to (nor does it want to be)in any of the politics or issues surrounding the closing of the bike park, water park, mountain managements philosophy on what types of recreation they want etc. They just are focused on having their race and making it the best event possible. The issue of the bike park can be addressed in the other thread if people are so inclined.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Are you saying that registered racers at GES races are only allowed to ride the designated race course? This doesn't seem to make any sense
No, didn't say that at all. Blue is not open to the public, it is open for the GES race so the insurance covering the race falls under USAC. USAC doesn't have any liability if you hurt yourself riding another trail, normally that would fall under the bike park hosting the resort. So unless Blue is paying for insurance to cover their other trails for just that weekend, there's no insurance covering someone riding a trail other than the race course.

At other GES races, SS for example, you sign a waiver for USAC (race trail) and a waiver for SS (other trails) so that you are covered the entire time you're on the mountain.

I've help organize/host a bunch of races in college, both USAC and Non, and sometimes the lawyers/insurance dictate what can and can't be done at a race.

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
The GES is not a party to (nor does it want to be)in any of the politics or issues surrounding the closing of the bike park, water park, mountain managements philosophy on what types of recreation they want etc. They just are focused on having their race and making it the best event possible. The issue of the bike park can be addressed in the other thread if people are so inclined.
If thats the case then why did the GES Promoter make the statement below, seems like he is the one who brought up the issue of the bike park in the first place:

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
If thats the case then why did the GES Promoter make the statement below, seems like he is the one who brought up the issue of the bike park in the first place:
This was in response to why there was only riding available on the race course this weekend and that if this was a good event perhaps the mountain would consider opening in the future again for freeriding - nothing to do with what happened to the previous bike park. The GES is naturally going to support biking at any mountain - its in everyone's best interests.

Jul 15, 2009
AllDayinPA
My thoughts.......

I think its great we are able to have a downhill race locally still for 2011. I spoke with Neko earlier and know he's put together a great track. Sounds like Miles of Smiles with improvements that were needed. I plan on being there this weekend to hike and take pics, and of course to see some old familiar faces. I'd like to thank Dan M. for continuing to have the finals at Blue. We have a ton of riders locally and I'm sure they would appreciate the chance to rip some trail there again. Yes it would be great to have all the trails open but there were many days that all I did was hit Miles of Smiles. I'm sure with the improvements you won't be dissapointed to run that trail all weekend.

I hope everyone gets out to support the race, there were many good times on the trails up there and I hope to see everyone enjoy and rip it up this weekend !!

Good Luck
DW:D

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
..it is only Saturday and Sunday and only the race course they allowed us to choose and we gave that task to Neko Mulally who is personally excited about this event.
Nice i'm sure he built it up to be quite good. I like the Blue Mtn terrain. Miles of smiles was already pretty sweet and with some new jumps up top it sounds quite fun. I'll probably pass this time around though. Have Fun!

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
The Final Results and standings are up and current.​

Brandon Sbordone took away the Morpheus Chaos Frame in the Plate Raffle, Lots of rain on raceday but a great course, Thank You......Neko Mulally, Blue Mountain and Catfish, Matt Shirk, Fred Heinly and Dane Clay and anybody I forgot who helped Neko including myself finishing the course into the night Friday.

Also Thanks to all the racers who attended each and every event, it would not work without the riders! Hope to see you all at the Last and Special Event at Highland Mountain Bike Park, October 15 & 16

Find Results Here

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Sadly...

FATAL CONSTRUCTION ACCIDENT AT BLUE MOUNTAIN SKI AREA
September 21, 2011

A Slatington man is killed while operating a construction vehicle at Blue Moutain Ski Area. The accident happened around 10 a.m. Wednesday. It appeared his truck tumbled off a ski slope and down an embankment. Sources at the scene say the man was pinned underneath the vehicle. It's unclear whether he was operating the truck without a seatbelt, or if he was standing near the vehicle when it fell off the slope. It took emergency responders about three hours to lift the truck off of the embankment.