Quantcast

Gravity East Series #5 Sugarbush

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011

Sugarbush is back better and hosting round 5 of the Gravity East Downhill Series on August 6 and 7​

The huge, two-mountain ski resort in Warren Vermont regularly hosted major events during the first heyday of mountain biking, then gradually faded from the mountain bike scene. When Summit Ventures purchased the resort, mountain biking again became a priority and the resort has spent six years restoring and constructing trails and park features. Today, Sugarbush has a freeride park and over 18 miles of lift-assisted cross country and downhill trails. Sugarbush host again in 2011 mountain bike racing since last season the resort has improved lift system installed and is ready as the Gravity East Series roars down the resort’s Lincoln Peak.

But it is the return of the Sugarbush Gravity East Downhill on August 6-7 that is the undeniable highlight of this year’s summer mountain bike season at the resort. With Gravity East now the biggest series of its kind in North America, the significance of the race has increased significantly, and the history of the venue has only increased its prestige.

The racetrack used at Sugarbush, and first unveiled two year ago, fittingly represents the history of downhill racing at “the ‘Bush”. The course starts with an old-school fire road section reminiscent of the type of downhill racing that was in vogue in Sagebrush’s mountain bike halcyon days. The riders “fast forward” through the opening section and find themselves in a thoroughly modern downhill course with bermed corners, steep drops and difficult technical sections embodying the obstacles that had to be overcome to bring mountain biking and downhill racing back to this great mountain.

Event Schedule
Accommodations: Discount Lodging availabe race weekend, by calling 800.53.SUGAR, mention Gravity East, 2-Night minimum required to receive 20% group discount.

NO FRIDAY PARKING NEAR LIFT OR EXPO AREA UNTIL LATE FRIDAY OR SATURDAY MORNING

For Online Registration here is the link: http://www.bikereg.com/14008

Registration Info:

Saturday Onsite Registration 9-4pm Saturday at The Farmhouse

10 a.m. - 6 p.m. | Practice

Sunday Onsite Registrations 8-10:0am

Course Inspection Runs 8:30-10:30am

Mandatory Riders Meeting 10:45am

Start List Posted by 11:00am

Race Start ET is 12:00am

Awards to follow Official Results TBD

$1000.00 Pro Purse

Product Prizing for All Amateur Classes: Provided by Maxxis Tires, GES Presenting Sponsor Formula Brakes also these great supporting Sponsors - 661, e13, NEMA, and Fox Racing Derailed.com, DHD Race Promotions

All Standings, Timing, and Results by "All Sports Events"

Last edited:

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
In 2009, Sagebrush’s lift assisted riding season runs through October 11, and includes three bike-specific events. An Xterra off-road duathlon was held on July 11th – 12th. But it is the return of the Sugarbush Gravity East Downhill on August 1-2 that is the undeniable highlight of this year’s summer mountain bike season at the resort. With Gravity East now the biggest series of its kind in North America, the significance of the race has increased significantly, and the history of the venue has only increased its prestige.

The racetrack used at Sugarbush, and first unveiled two year ago, fittingly represents the history of downhill racing at “the ‘Bush”. The course starts with an old-school fire road section reminiscent of the type of downhill racing that was in vogue in Sagebrush’s mountain bike halcyon days. The riders “fast forward” through the opening section and find themselves in a thoroughly modern downhill course with bermed corners, steep drops and difficult technical sections embodying the obstacles that had to be overcome to bring mountain biking and downhill racing back to this great mountain.
Just wondering:
Is Sagebrush a new mountain in Vermont?
Also I'm sure JDD would beg to differ with this claim

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
Some of the riders from Sugarbush at the ESC this Weekend said the GES course has been changed from 2010....can anyone confirm? Be there either way.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Some of the riders from Sugarbush at the ESC this Weekend said the GES course has been changed from 2010....can anyone confirm? Be there either way.
Yes still one of the longer courses on the East, but yes improvements to make the course flow and more Vert have been done for the GES Killington event. A preview video is in the works for Killington

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I think he was talking about sugarbush not killington.

from what i understand sugarbush is going to be mostly a new course using the existing top (grassy section) and the bottom. I was told the middle is new. we will see if my sources are right.

as for killington. not a new course but much work has been done on it and time will be between 50 seconds and a minute faster. maybe more.

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
I think he was talking about sugarbush not killington.

from what i understand sugarbush is going to be mostly a new course using the existing top (grassy section) and the bottom. I was told the middle is new. we will see if my sources are right.
This! Thats what I heard too.

Last edited:

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
Any lodging in the area without a 2-night minimum?
Inexpensive lodging at the base of the mtn. Golden Lion Inn. Rt 100 & Sugarbush Access Rd intersection. $94 per night, 2 doubles, 5 minute drive. Rates on site are. 1 BR condo, $145.00 per night.

Also, the Hostel Tevere is a more affordable route with shared community rooms at around $30 a night, I think. ??? Excellent food, and night life. Went there last year and had a blast Sat night listening to some little hippie band. Big Granola hang out. But that's VT for you.

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
Also, the Hostel Tevere is a more affordable route with shared community rooms at around $30 a night, I think. ??? Excellent food, and night life. Went there last year and had a blast Sat night listening to some little hippie band. Big Granola hang out. But that's VT for you.
Did you stay there last year ?

Do you guys know anything about the course for 2011?

Thanks

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Inexpensive lodging at the base of the mtn. Golden Lion Inn. Rt 100 & Sugarbush Access Rd intersection. $94 per night, 2 doubles, 5 minute drive. Rates on site are. 1 BR condo, $145.00 per night.
Nice, thanks much. Grabbed a room for $94.