Quantcast

**Gravity East Series Schedule**

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Platty is stepping it up - yes there will be a minimum $5000 cash pro purse that weekend for DH and $1000 for DS plus there is the $2000 cash series points fund for Gravity East Series.
Originally the series points standings were to be based on your best 7 out of 11 races.Now that there will only be 8 races it will be your best 5 finishes with no minimum # of races required.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
were the capitol cup points not reported correctly? I'm assuming that was DH#3, I had 1st in EX 30-39 but don't see that on the PDF.

i'm not running this series, but i wonder what other errors are on there?

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
were the capitol cup points not reported correctly? I'm assuming that was DH#3, I had 1st in EX 30-39 but don't see that on the PDF.

i'm not running this series, but i wonder what other errors are on there?

Ont the hcor.net site they are saying that the capital cup was not part of the GE series. I have questioned it and am awaiting an answer.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
We are working it out. As soon as we have a definite answer on the Wisp race I will post the information on Derailed. There are some details that must get "ironed" out before we can make a final determination. Just waiting for people to answer emails at this moment.

Trust us, we are working hard to try and put this thing back together and get it on track for the rest of the year.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The Whiteface 2nd annual 5 K Downhill is next on the Gravity East Series!

* $5,000.00 pro cash purse with = prize money for pro men & pro women. $1,225.00 1st place! $500.00 2nd place & $250.00 for 3rd place. Men's pro pays 4th thru 10th place.
* 2,476 feet of vertical.
* Last years winning time was 6:36 and this years course is 1 minute longer.
* Thousands of hotel rooms and campgrounds. See "Bike & Stay" from $59.00 in Lake Placid (includes lift ticket) on our web site.
* Awesome mountain to watch a downhill race! (10:00 am till 4:00 pm)
* U.S.A.C. NORBA sanctioned and category 1 points on the national calendar.

* Open 7 days a week.
* Practice open from now until race day!

Register at: http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1400467

See ya at the race - picture below courtesy of George Ulmer taken last year at our inaugural Whiteface 5 K Downhill. Thanks again George and good luck to you and Geoffrey at this years race(s).

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Official press release:

Second Annual Whiteface Downhill Mountain Bike Race Set For Sept. 2

WILMINGTON, N.Y. – Whiteface Mountain, among the most challenging ski and ride mountains in the nation, will host its second annual downhill mountain bike race – a five kilometer competition - on Sunday, September 2.

This NORBA-sanctioned event (National Off-Road Bicycle Association), part of the Gravity East series, will carry a $5,000 pro purse. There will be several thousand dollars additionally in bike-related merchandise for the top three finishers in each amateur class. Category 1 points on the USA Cycling calendar will be awarded.

The Whiteface Downhill 5 Kilometer Mountain Bike Race will present the longest downhill race in the east, with 2,476 vertical feet from the top of

Little Whiteface. Last year’s pro winner, James Ford of Chappaqua, N.Y., needed over six and a half minutes to conquer Whiteface. Most downhill

events require less than three minutes.

Whiteface hosted the alpine skiing events during the 1980 Winter Olympics as well as the ski and ride competitions in the 2000 Winter Goodwill

Games. The site remains a yearly stop for World Cup freestyle skiing and World Cup snowboarding.

“This race course starts off at over 40 miles per hour and then disappears into some of the best, naturally challenging downhill single-track anywhere,” said race director “Downhill” Mike Scheur. “This course rocks.”

The race course will be marked one week prior to the event, and available for training leading up to September 2.

Participants can register at www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1400467 until midnight September 1 for just $28. Thereafter, registration will take place on September 1 at Whiteface from 8 am – 4:30 pm, and September 2 from 8 am – 9:45 am for $35.

Interested participants can check out bike and stay packages, beginning at $59 per person including lift ticket, at www.downhillmike.com. The website also offers specific race info, videos and photos.

Cross country and advanced downhill mountain biking will be available to the general public on September 2 as some trails will be closed for the race. Normal operating hours from 10 am – 4 pm will be in effect.

An awards ceremony will be held after 3 pm, preceded by a professional trials show by Giant Bicycles and Lake Placid’s Sam Perkins.

Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) concessionaire, Centerplate, will serve food and beverages throughout the day.

-Chevrolet is the official vehicle of Whiteface and Gore Mountains-

-ORDA-

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I see there is alot of money being thrown down for pro's, but how does the overall series prizes work for Jr Expert (or the rest of the experts, sports, and beginners for that matter?)

I'm 4 point's behind first without a dropped race. Hopefully i'll have better luck in the rest of the series...

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I see there is alot of money being thrown down for pro's, but how does the overall series prizes work for Jr Expert (or the rest of the experts, sports, and beginners for that matter?)

I'm 4 point's behind first without a dropped race. Hopefully i'll have better luck in the rest of the series...
We (Whiteface) will have awesome prizes for 1st thru 3rd in all amateur classes.
I'm sure the other venues have awesome prizes too. Especially for the finals at Plattekill.
The Whiteface course is one not to be missed at over 7 minutes for pro winning time.
Race course is open for practice from now until race day.
Our sponsors are Giant Specialized, E-Thirteen, Sixsixone + many more. So the prizes will be great!
Junior x is a tough category. Competition in this class will be very close.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
We (Whiteface) will have awesome prizes for 1st thru 3rd in all amateur classes.
I'm sure the other venues have awesome prizes too. Especially for the finals at Plattekill.
The Whiteface course is one not to be missed at over 7 minutes for pro winning time.
Race course is open for practice from now until race day.
Our sponsors are Giant Specialized, E-Thirteen, Sixsixone + many more. So the prizes will be great!
Junior x is a tough category. Competition in this class will be very close.
Well im done. Broken collarbone racing dual at Snow today.:disgust1:

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
There is a $2000.00 Gravity East Series points fund for the end of the season plus there will be product prizes.All have been contributed by the participating venues.

racersdad

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
There is a $2000.00 Gravity East Series points fund for the end of the season
Another presumably unofficial announcement. My assumption is that Brady is handling communications about the Series. If that is not true, please tell us . . . . . .

BTW, until someone fixes the abomination that is being circulated as Series Standings, I suggest that people refrain from making any public announcements about "points."

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Dieter from Plattekill along with Brady have been working together to make this work.

Whiteface is forwarding $500.00 to Plattekill for the series final. Other participating mountains will be doing the same.

Between the $5,000.00 that we have up for grabs at the 5 K DH, the remaining mountains and the finals at Plattekill the cash purse is substantial.

I just put up a map of our race course on www.downhillmike.com
Just click on the tab on the main menu for Whiteface 2nd annual 5 K DH.
By tomorrow I should have a better map on the site. I just wanted to get something quick up there for now.

racersdad

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
There is a $2000.00 Gravity East Series points fund for the end of the season
Whiteface is forwarding $500.00 to Plattekill for the series final. Other participating mountains will be doing the same.
9 venues at $500 each. Why does the math not work???

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
9 venues at $500 each. Why does the math not work???
Geez dude. The better question is "why is racersdad pissing all over the first good thing we've had in years?"

Are you purposefully trying to be a jackass? Downhill Mike has e-mail and if you want the details and logistics, you can shoot him an email about them. Last time I checked the overall money collected in any pool from the individual promoters and/or venues wouldn't be any of your business anyway.

Show up...and if you're in the money, hold your hand out. If not...shut up and start training for next year and offer to help.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Don't worry the money will match.

My e-mail is info@downhillmike.com if anyone has any questions.

I know all about our race and what is expected from us for the Gravity East Series.

Getting all other resorts to participate was taken over by Dieter (Plattekill) and Brady (Hcor & Derailed). They have been spending plenty of time on this and are seeing it through.

Just a reminder our race is less than 2 weeks away and registration can easily be found on www.downhillmike.com

See ya at the race

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
This is Dieter from Plattekill. Brady and myself are working together along with the venues to put the GE series back together.Anything that you hear from us you can consider to be fact and not rumors.
We have a commitment so far of minimum $2000 from the venues for the series points funds plus product prizes.Not all the venues originally involved have commited money so that is why the math does not work but we do have a minimum of $2000 and I expect that will be increased before the end of the season.
The points were just updated yesterday with some corrections and we have to add the race from Wisp in June which will be done this week so they will be up to date.
Please suppport the remaining races and venues and the finale at Plattekill will be a blast!

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Sorry I have not replied here lately. Been kinda busy with all the points, racing, little bit of life, etc. :)

Don't believe any rumors about points until we post it.

I am working on fixing this points issue once and for all! When I am done points will be calculated and on the internet for everyone to see no more than one week from the conclusion of a race. It's going to be a web driven database system to make it easy on everyone. You will even be able to search for you name via a search function.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
* Whiteface 2nd annual 5 K Downhill on 9-2-07 (next on the Gravity East Series)

* The weather forecast is looking great making this great for racers & spectators.

* We just got a discount for spectators choosing to ride the Cloudsplitter Gondola at $5.00 off the regular gondola price of $16.00.

* Of course if you choose to walk up there is no charge but Whiteface is a big mountain if you want to check out the top of the course.

* To get the required coupon you must go to: www.downhillmike.com and go the page for the Whiteface 5 K DH (coupon should be on the site by 8-27-07).

* There is so much to do in Lake Placid for the non bikers in your group. This is the site of the 1980 & 1932 Winter Olympics. You can ride the bobsled or luge, watch snowboarders and skiers launch into the pool at the jumping complex, killer main street w/ tons of restaurants, nightlife, etc.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
From http://www.bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=38521

2 things last year we learned was 1 race course is better than 2 and less people on the course (or all in the same class) is better than more.

We want to make sure this race goes off without a hitch.

ORDA (Olympic Regional Development Authority), the dh world and many others are watching us closely on this one.

If you want a nationals and a World Cup in the future at Whiteface a great showing at the Whiteface 2nd annual 5 K Downhill would be a HUGE step forward.

We have done all we can in the last few years since ORDA tried to pull the plug on biking here like they did at Gore.

They have listened to me ask and ask now for 3 years (6 really).

Many of you have signed the petition a few years ago that reversed their initial decision to eliminate the biking (& have come here to ride during our season), but now this is your chance to be heard and make a HUGE difference.

Whiteface stopped doing the NORBA races back in 1999 due to lack of interest.

Please note that this same mountain and same organization (ORDA) puts on 5 World Cup Events each winter. We are the Winter Sports Capital of the world.

With ORDA's experience, our passion and a damn big mountain to race a bike on, this is our big chance to really jump start the things I have been talking about for years.

If you read all of this a very sincere thanks and hope to see ya at the race

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The Whiteface 2nd annual 5 K Downhill will now start at noon on Sunday to allow for open practice on Sunday from 10:00 am till 11:45 am.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
If you want to view the race from the the upper part of the race course we have a special$5.00 coupon for a gondola ride at www.downhillmike.com

Lake Placid has tons for the non bikers and the forecast for the Friday thru Monday is stellar.
The temp will be an awesome 74 degrees outside.

Stuff for the non bikers in Lake Placid:

How about a 30 foot cliff diving spot at the end of the trails?

hiking, horseback riding, water skiing, golf (5 courses in town), relaxing by a lake, fine dining (many choices), a really nice main street, backpacking, shopping, bob sled or luge ride, watch aerealist train at the jumping complex, visit several Olympic attractions, museum, movies, swimming, scenic airplane ride, scenic sea plane ride, drive the memorial hwy to the top of Whiteface Mountain, watch the race from the upper mountain (with a discounted lift ticket), ice skating (inside of course), float down the Ausable river in a tube at Ausable Chasm, canoeing, kayaking and much much more.

I just noted some of things they could do off the top of my head.

Lake Placid is a summer resort area with at least 10 times more people and things to do in the summer than the winter.

When I moved here from Buffalo I thought L.P. was a winter destination. Winters are quiet around these parts. Summers are non stop, action packed fun.

www.lakeplacid.com for more on l.p.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Mens and womens 1st place $1,225.00
Derrick Nobman 7:34.2
Karen Eagan 9:24.8

Mens and womens 2nd place $500.00
Gerrit Beytagh 7:34.7
Dawn Bourque 9:36.7

Mens and womens 3rd place $250.00
Chris Heath 7:37.2
Alexis Wruble 10:43.0

Mens 4th place $225.00
Kyle Hickey 7:49.1

Mens 5th place $200.00
Ben Moody 7:51.6

Mens 6th place $175.00
Leif Lorenzen 7:53.2

Mens 7th place $150.00
Heikki Hall 8:00.7

Mens 8th place $125.00
Lee trumpmore 8:01.7

Mens 9th place $100.00
Erik Hudson 8:02.2

Mens 10th place $75.00
Lars Tribus 8:01.9

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
How many races are being counted for the final results?
Is it true that your 5 best out of the 9 races are counted?
Just to keep it simple, say you won all 9 venues which
would give you 1350 total points. Are you winning with
your 5 best results of 750 points?