Quantcast

Gravity Light Crank Durability?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm thinking of picking up a set. I weigh 170, 180 fully geared up. I'd be using them for pure DH, no hucking. I've never bent a crank before. I know they have a reputation for bending, so I have a few questions -

- If you've bent a set, how did it happen and what do you weigh?
- How easy was it to get a crash replacement set from FSA?
- If you have a set and haven't bent them, how long have you had them and what's your weight and riding style?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Mine lasted for 2 years... I sold them to a buddy and he bent them in 2 weeks. I have another buddy that goes big on his and he has been running them for over 2 years on his FR bike and no problems. Its like anything light, they last until they are hit the wrong way.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
not the lights, but ive been running the gravity gaps, this was there 3rd year with no issues, and im not the smoothest rider in the pack. i was thinking grave lights, but i think ill go with another set of gaps when its time. the double row bearing dont hurt either

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I won a set at a race and put them on my p1 that serves as my general hooliganing bike. I bent them after three days of use while snapping a gate at a bmx race. Im 170 and twisted them bad enough that they were unuseable.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Can I ask why you'd even bother risking it when there are so many other good cranks on the market?
$130 cheaper then Saints, pinch bolts, light. I'm not hard on parts and I've got back up cranks if I need to wait for a crash replacement (provided the price is reasonable).

Sounds like I should still stay away, thanks :)

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
My wife is under 120 lbs and has bent 2 sets. One was done washing out in a berm and the other she has no idea how it happened....JRA, I guess. She runs Ti-spindle Wellgo MG-1's and they didn't bend at all.

One can gets Saints for under $200 at CRC.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I weigh around 165 geared up, and have been using the Gravity Light 175mm cranks on my Turner Highline for two years now. No issues to report, other than the paint is wearing off where my shoes rub on them, and some deep scratches in the end of the arms where the pedals go from hitting rocks. I use my Highline for all DH and FR type riding, so lots of jumps and drops. I am not so smooth a lot of the time and frequently come up short on jumps and hit the pedals into rocks. But I'm not a gorilla so therefore the cranks haven't bent yet. The price to weight ratio is very good on the cranks, which is why I bought them, and I rarely break parts so I'm not too worried about them.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I bent mine on the first ride.

I clipped my SHOE on a rock, and since I run SPDs the crank arm bent.

Long story short, most expensive experiment ever. I wouldn't even run them on my XC bike.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I just installed a set on the Banshee Legend MKII that I'll be reviewing for MTBGearTech.com.

I'll post up the initial impressions part of the review today and follow that up with subsequent ride reports until they bend. When they do I'll post pictures of the bent cranks along with a story of how they bent. Then I will sell them "as new" in our classifieds section ;-).

Since these are the old version made out of 6000 series aluminum I'm hoping Gravity will be gracious enough to offer the new 7000 series cranks as a replacement so that I can review them and compare their durability to the older version.

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
Had mine for about two years now and use them for about everything. i've yet to bend them and i'm not even close to being a smooth rider. i am about 155 geared up

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've got 3 sets. The oldest set is 3 years old. The middle set is 2 years old and the newest has about 20miles on them.
None have bent. They all work great. I have no problem rocking them.
I like the removable granny rings. I sometimes like to add a granny ring and not having to grind those tabs off to fit some chainguides is a really nice feature.

I will mention that I have gone through 4 sets of pedals amongst the 3 sets of cranks. All the pedals died via bent spindles.
The most recent incident I hit a tree so hard that is spun me 180deg. and the pedals smashed into another tree... cranks still nice and true.
I'm 150lbs and generally not a masher.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I have more than 50 bike park days over a couple years on mine, and they haven't bent. I will replace them with Saint or maybe E.13 if I ever do bend/break them.

Mar 14, 2008
I clipped a rock with my pedal, and my gravity light crank arm broke in half, confirming that yes, they are hollow and yes, they suck. I didn't even crash. In case it matters, the arm broke clean through about an inch from the pedal insert. Have run saint and atlas since, with no probs.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't get it. I'm a 170lb pro DH racer and rode my DH bike with Gravity Lights at least 3 days a week from June till late September with no problems. I ride hard but my only crash of the season was a low side in a drifty turn where I slowed a lot before hitting the ground. I did clip a log with my pedal hard enough to throw me into a tank swapper back in July.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Okay...day one in the books. I rode like absolute crap today mainly because I was riding with a rear spring that's 100# too light for me. I was rockin about a 60* HTA I think LOL.

Anyway I clipped rocks three times, not super hard mind you but enough to leave marks in the rocks and I had one OTB in a rock garden that sent the bike over on it's side with the pedal landing right on a rock. The cranks are fine so far (thank god). Honestly though I'm figuring its not if I bend them but when...

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I used to think they were great until this year when I bent two sets. Once with a huge case and once clipping a pedal at speed. It was rider error both times but 2 pairs in one season is a bit much.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I've been running the older ISIS G-lites for nearly 2 years now. I race several times a year and pedal everywhere. The cranks saw many rocks, and are still faultless. The only drawback is the ISIS spline interface getting loose slightly with many on-off cycles. Is it possible they used a softer alloy on the new ones?

mattyj

Chimp
Apr 21, 2010
My Gravity light cranks bent because i jumped a 50' double, landed in rocks, clipped both pedals 4 times hard, bike flipped 13.5 times and smashed down on both sides at once! Can you believe they bent!?!?!

WTF people?? :think:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm 165lbs, and I bent mine in a medium-speed practice run after clipping a pedal on a rock. The pedal was a Wellgo Mag-1 and was 100% fine (still using the same pedals 1.5 years later, actually), but the crank was bent badly.