Quantcast

Great idea for those HOT summer rides

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Summer came a little early to SoCal this year. This week, we've had 4 days with temps of 80+, a few of them up in the 90's.

While in the local Performance store, I saw a Camelback devise that made a bunch of long ice Tubes.

So I was thinking, what else looks like that?
What about Otter-pops?

Not only do you get the same nice ice-tube that is easy to put in your hydration pack, but you also get some nice flavoring and a bit of sugar to pep you up.

I tried it out and it works great!!
Personally, I like the Orange, Grape, and lime.:monkeydance:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Place a flask of whiskey in the freezer overnight. It won't freeze due to the alcohol content and can be conveniently placed next to the bladder as a "supercooler" ;) And in case of emergency, break into the Makers and make your ride interesting.

More seriously its about the time of the year where my XC rides are going have to start at 6 or 7am to beat the heat. The backcountry in SB is already in the 90's and it ain't even summer yet.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Place a flask of whiskey in the freezer overnight. It won't freeze due to the alcohol content and can be conveniently placed next to the bladder as a "supercooler" ;) And in case of emergency, break into the Makers and make your ride interesting.

More seriously its about the time of the year where my XC rides are going have to start at 6 or 7am to beat the heat. The backcountry in SB is already in the 90's and it ain't even summer yet.
:thumb: Sounds like my kind of ride :D

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

There are these guys that I ride with some times on Thursday nights, and they always pull a small thermos of Margarita out. Very strong stuff. :monkeydance:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm far too lazy about cleaning to put anything but water in my camelbak.

Tell me about it. I had to clean out a bunch of gunk recently.
I find that a ton of salt works well on the mold. It acts like an abrasive. Learned that trick from cleaning out certain glass devices.
;)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I find that a ton of salt works well on the mold. It acts like an abrasive. Learned that trick from cleaning out certain glass devices.
;)
:D

I do put Elete in my pak and waterbottles, it doesn't seem to promote mold.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
certain glass devices............ -BB- you and I gotta ride together ;)

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
;)
alternative bladder cleaning method- baking soda, uncooked rice, hot water. Shake it around, dump it out, rinse bladder, ride.

Mar 26, 2007
New Zealand
apparently there's sodium tablets that come in packets of "mushy peas". Its a UK thing but they sell them in supermarkets here, so maybe they do there too? where dried or tinned veges are. My friend steals the sodium pills from his mums mushy peas that she buys and says they're awesome for cleaning his camelbak!