Quantcast

Greatest FR bike ever??

bullit71

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Ok, since we can probably agree that a good FR bike is one that is 'good at everything, but great at nothing', I believe that the SC Bullit is the best FR bike ever produced. Sure, there are some new entries in this catagory, but what bike has been so solid for so long with hardly any changes, not to mention, when the Bullit was first introduced, it changed the face of mountain biking forever.

The only other one that comes to mind is Stinky, but perhaps that is DH bike?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
With a screen name like "bullit71" your answer is a total suprise.....

I'll say the Mountain Cycle San Andreas since it was used for "freeriding" before that stupid phrase was used for mountain bikes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you guys.

Clearly, the greatest FR bike ever is the Trek Y-Bike.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Zark said:
I'll say the Mountain Cycle San Andreas since it was used for "freeriding" before that stupid phrase was used for mountain bikes.
I just found out that Mountain Cycle was a senior project here at Cal Poly!
In the words of Peter Griffin, I thought that was "Freakin' Sweet"

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
No no no. :nope:

I vote for the free bikes you can ride around in some euro cities. You pretty much have to pay for everything else.

And all the peeps say: "Thank you Literal Man, for saving us from this horrible thread!!!"

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
binary visions said:
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you guys.

Clearly, the greatest FR bike ever is the Trek Y-Bike.
I agree. I conquered the North Shore on my Y-11 :) The essance of freeride is to each his own, there's no one best FR bike, it's whatever one works for each individual rider.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I think everyone should STFU.
This forum is paying off allready.
You didnt want stuff like this in the DH forums cause you all were irritated by it and now its gone to the FR forums and your still bitching about it.
Let these guys talk about FR bikes if they want to and keep out of it if your a "hardcore racer"...

bullit71

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
I am not an expert DH racer, but can do things with my Bullit that most guys will stand around an watch, which is fun for me. I think the average big FS bike owner probably rides on the weekends, has to climb to get to the good stuff, and would consider mtn biking more of a 'hobby' than some full-on DH racer that is sponsered. Sometimes the attitude in the DH forum is you need to be a sponsered DH racer to be worth anything, while everyone else is a moron. Good, stay there, and let morons like me post stupid threads like ' the Bullit is the greatest FR bike ever' :eviltongu

BTW, the Bullit is a very good FR bike, but I started the thread to see what others would consider excellent choices as well. :p

bullit71

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
I might add that I am totally stoked that we have a FR/hucking forum. I usually spend most of my time over at mtbr.com, but their DH forum is starting to really suck with kids flaming each other, only posting their 'new rides' seeking the opproval of everyone, and some of the same elitist DH a-holes that seem to permeate the DH forum here.

I hope this forum works out! :thumb:

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
i'm just going to drop in and support your idea for this thread... I have a bullit and i'm pretty happy with it (only pretty happy because it's falling apart because i have no job). i go on rides with people that have pure DH bikes, and they complain on the climbs. Then the rides with more XCish people, they start bitchin when the DH gets rough and steep. The DH bikes are usually too heavy or set up wrong to do big, tech. hucks, and the XC bikes arn't strong enough.

all in all, the bullit is pretty good at most everything, but awesome at nothing. So, it can be considered by many people to be one of the greatest freeride bikes, but in my mind, i think that it is because it's so affordable.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I don't really like Bullits that much, but I think it is because I see so many of them. I had one, it was a great bike and completely changed the way I ride. I would have to agree that is is one of the best freeride bikes out there in terms of affordabilty and usefullness.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Zark said:
With a screen name like "bullit71" your answer is a total suprise.....

Another one from back before the word Freeride was uttered by 2 wheelers, K2 also had some pretty good bikes, and good riders on them (Shandro for one). The Animal DH, and also the Evo was used by the zero gravity team and appeared alot in the first cranked film.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Bullits are the best. My friend hates them and says Im making big mistake getting one.
He's completely wrong. He has a scott Hi octane. My parents wont just get me a bike, especially like that. I think its more than he needs. A bullit is much lighter with enough travel for me. We are going to Mammoth this summer and I will show him what bullits can do. He rode one in a parking lot (I mean "up a hill and down") and didn't like it. That doesn't test anything.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Like I said it's a loaded quest. there's no such thing as the perf. frame or bike. That's why sponsored riders bikes are so tailored to them. A lot of times the frames are even custom. No riding in a parking lot doesn't test what you can put a bike through but it does test the size and fit. This topic gets funnier by the post! Have fun!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the yeti as-x owns the bullit. way sexier, has the added swing link for stiffness and a 1.5 head tube.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
would consider mtn biking more of a 'hobby' than some full-on DH racer that is sponsered. Sometimes the attitude in the DH forum is you need to be a sponsered DH racer to be worth anything, while everyone else is a moron.
well not to burst your bubble or anything, but maybee if you didnt post stupid opinionated threads, or figured out was going to read your thread then maybee they wont think that about you. i mean come on man everyone in that thread thinks of mountain biking as a sport not a hobby (and seriously if football, basketball, and baseball are sports, then your damn straight mountain biking is). ohh and on another point if you wanted everyones opinion then put it in the title or state it in the first post. As far as the attitude goes theres tons of people in there that arent sponsored and people listen to them all the time because they dont make stupid comments and think that there better than everyone else. just my 2cents.

ohh and the vp free deffinatly owns the bullit hands down.

and vince i dont bitch thats just your bro and hes on a hardtail not a dh bike come on man.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
i dont know about the dare its more dh but anything can be hucked. :thumb:

but deffinatly the vp free. it handles dh with the best of them. it can take a dorado up front, or any fork up front for that matter, and still pedal up the hills with the best of them. it can keep up with full blown dh rigs if its got a compatant rider on it (ive seen it done), and of course it can huck with the best of them. only down side is the price tag but if you can get around that your good to go

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Hucknificent said:
Like I said it's a loaded quest. there's no such thing as the perf. frame or bike. That's why sponsored riders bikes are so tailored to them. A lot of times the frames are even custom. No riding in a parking lot doesn't test what you can put a bike through but it does test the size and fit. This topic gets funnier by the post! Have fun!
most random post of the day!

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
i'm gonna have to say here, that the ultimate freeride bike ever has got to be my first full suspension- twas a pacific from the top rack of toys'r'us, and it rocked for two weeks. but i broke it. best 180 bucks ever.

bullit71

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
First, of course mtn biking is a sport, but also a hobby I think, as all my money goes into it (bikes, parts, etc). But perhaps hobby is the wrong word. Whatever.

Also, of course it's a loaded question. There's no 'one' greatest FR bike out there, plus we mtn bikers tend to be extremely biased towards the bike we happen to own, for the most part. But it is interesting to see what other people think are classic FR bikes that continue to perform year after year.

That said, yes, the Yeti ASX owns the Bullit with it's suspension improvements and 1.5 HT, but I still think it's damn nice to be able to buy a used Bullit frame for $700 bucks or even less, and the next day your keeping up with your buddies at N* for DH'ing or XC buddies going up hills next to their $4k bikes havin' fun. True? Word.

Rant over. :)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
My main criteria for a great FR bike is durability, price, and ease of maintenance...Basically, the damn thing shouldn't break, unless you pull some Kadvang-dank silliness (except w/o the skill) and 50/50 a forty foot step down...Or I'm even fine with it exploding after 5 years of abuse, as I understand that eventually, all frames break...But I've just seen too many 'freeride' bikes die a little too prematurely IMO (e.g. a couple Yeti ASX's and Ellesworth Jokers)...Not crashed, and not dropped to flat 400 times with a 250 lb rider...Nope, just normal stuff, and SNAP...I know that's kinda subjective and may only be reflective of what I've seen personally...

Also, my Bullit has been a breeze to keep in running order and with a properly tuned 5th, pedals as good or better than most XC/trail bikes...I race mine DH, and have podiumed in Sport, so it's now I'm off to Expert to get butchered (i.e. this where I honestly think the bike will be a real liability compared to the dudes on DHRs, Demos, V-10s, M3s, etc...)
Never had a huge issue with brake jack, but every once in awhile I do feel it lock up a bit on steep, techy DH (could also have something to do with the fact that I suck)...I've ridden a VP-Free and while it certainly is a great bike, I really didn't think it pedaled better or took big hits any better than my Bullit...For small bump sensitivity, it was VERY nice, but like I've also seen the owner of said VP do a lot of pivot maintenance - which I despise (yes, I'm lazy)...Not to say I wouldn't take one, I just don't think the VP is light years better than a Bullit (blasphemy I know!), much less a Big Hit or Stinky...The main issue I have with the Bullit is I feel like the rear is a little flexy (yes, I said the f word) compared to a Big Hit, Stinky, or ASX (due to the swing link)...Not terrible, and with my Fun Bolts, it's stiff enough...Love the Big Hit too, as I think you can do so much with that set up (e.g. competent DH rig or heavy trail bike in 6" mode)...Plus, no major brake jacking issues, although I have NEVER ridden a Horst link 4 bar that I felt accelerated very well...Like the Stinky and Dirtbag as well as they're relatively simple and affordable...

So I'll end my stream of consciouness with this: I say a tie between 5th equipped Bullit (pros - simple, cheap, practically unbreakable, good pedaler; cons- brake jack, little flexy in the rear) and the Stinky (pros - not crazy expensive, stiff, practically unbreakable; cons - not a superb pedaler and lots of fun pivots to maintain) and the Big Hit (pros - still fairly inexpensive, nice 4 bar sus for all sorts of riding, practically unbreakable; cons - I don't think it a particularly good pedaler, pivot maintenance)...I should caveat the whole pivot maintenance issue with the fact that I am uber-anal about ANY amount of play in a suspension...I mean ANY...So some folks may not worry about it as much as I do, thus not a big deal to them...

Btw, with my 3 way tie, I am officially sending in a resume to MBF as I think I am ready to write lots of uninformative articles for the masses....

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I don't ride a Stinky anymore, but I would say its a very good FR bike and I haven't rode any other "Freeride" bikes for more than a few minutues so I can't say about the rest of them.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Winners, IMO:
Bullit. Great price, strong, pedals well. Downfall: quality of travel
ASX. Good quality travel, pedals well. Downfall: price
VP-Free. Great quality travel, pedals well. Downfalls: weight and price
Stinky. Good price, strong. Downfalls: no Horst link, not light, unnecessary amount of pivots if Horst link isn't used
AC. Light, pedals well, price. Downfalls: not strong, lacking travel
Saber. Light, pedals well. Downfalls: not strong, lacking travel
Norco Shore. Price, strength, quality of travel, pedals well. Downfalls: weight, noise.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
Interesting, but I have a few questions (yes, I'm that bored :) )

* How do you define 'quality travel'? I can't detect any meaningful difference between a 5th equipped ASX and 5th equipped Bullit (and I've ridden both)...Never had an issue the 'travel' of the Bullit, unless you're referring to stink bugging (which would affect the ASX as well)...

* Price on the ASX? Thought they were about the same as a Bullit (maybe a little more, but around $1200 for the frame)...Although that may have changed with the newest model...

* I don't think just b/c a 4 bar doesn't have a Horst link that it doesn't work (and work in a similar fashion)...I always thought the seat stay pivot 4 bars were still a basic progressive suspension, although perhaps they don't isolate pedal forces as well as the Spesh design...

Again, just curious...

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I felt that the ASX was more sensitive in the small bump area than the Bullit. I think that's due to the progressive design of the linkage. Yes, this can be somewhat compensated for with the adjustments on the 5th-equipped Bullit, but since they have the same shock, you can do the same adjustments to both bikes. Mechanically, the suspension design of the ASX is better. However, both bikes have (and need) the platform on the 5th for pedaling efficiency.
As far as quality travel, I consider a very sensitive in the beginning stroke suspension design to be ideal, while ramping up to end compression so the suspension doesn't bottom out easily. Having more travle helps the quality, at least in my book, because a 9" travel bike is going to be more progressive/adjustable than a 6" travel bike, all else equal. It's simply easier to tune the suspension.
ASX is at least $300 more, last time I checked. Bullit's go for $1100 nowadays. I could have my price on the ASX wrong, but I'm pretty sure it went for $1400.
And the Horst link is a far superior design to the non-Horst 4-bar. Yes, both are designed to be progressive, but the Horst will pedal better, and as I understand it, have better quality travel since the non-Horst 4-bar is simply a glorified single pivot, kinda like a DHR or an ASX (not that there is anything wrong with a glorified single pivot, just that if I had my choice between non-Horst or Horst, I'd go with Horst as it seems like there's no good argument to not use it, except for the money you have to pay Specialized for the design rights).

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
biggins said:
the yeti as-x owns the bullit. way sexier, has the added swing link for stiffness and a 1.5 head tube.
thank u
someone with brains.

lets get back on topic and stopthe self indulgent posting of your 60lb anchors. A freeride bike must be able to pedal up hill as well.