Quantcast

Greatest FR bike ever??

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
OK, thanks for the info! Not really sold on the Horst link 4 bars claims (not yours, just in general) as I ridden Demos and Big Hits and thought they were good, just accelerated VERY poorly (regardless of set up).

Although I've always wondered how the ASX swing link really affect the characteristics of the travel - as it appears to me that the link is just there to take off some side loading placed on the shock...I believe you, I'm just too dumb to understand how :)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
As I understand it, the link on the ASX is there to make the leverage ratio lower in the beginning of the travel, and higher nearer the end of the travel. I'm not sure about the designers' primary and secondary intent of the link, but I would think that added stiffness was secondary to the progressivity.
However, I don't think the 1.5" HT is an asset. It is usually more trouble for the stuff I plan on running, and it means you either have to add HT stack heigh through a reducer (not to mention weight), or run one of those reducer headsets. Since all the good forks I plan on running are 1 1/8", I'll stick with standard. That means that I can keep running my CK HS and take advantage of the fact that it's lighweight w/o having to add a chunk of metal to make it fit.
If the price was the same on the ASX and the Bullit, or within $100, I'd go for the ASX. However, it's not. I'd have a tough time finding a "once-ridden" ASX for $900. But if price isn't a part of the equation, count my opinions out as they're always formed on a budget.
The Demo and the Big Hit are both heavy bikes with huge tires, which probably aren't the best examples of a Horst link bike for showcasing pedaling efficiency. Try a Saber, or some other Horst link 4-bar that's a little more nimble and a little less like an Abrahms.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I hear ya on the 1.5" HT - very kool...As for the quick accelerating horsts, I've had some saddle time on a FSR and sure, it gets like Kirsty Alley going after a box of Hohos...But I was referring more to a apples to apples comparison - in otherwords, my Bullit feels a lot more lively in terms of acceleration than any Big Hit I've ridden...But it may just be my imagination, dunno...

And btw, aren't we supposed to be insulting one another? Or at least you should blast me for not doing a search ;)

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Time to respect the 800 pound gorilla in the room:

CANNONDALE GEMINI.

It defines the ideal of a freeride bike: Balls strong, light and flickable (can easily be built burly, under 40 pounds), 1.5 header, low maintenance (single pivot), relatively efficient pedaler.

The ultimate ride for the ultimate gravity rider: Monseur Gracia.

Thread . . . OVER.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I think Jeff 151 just hit the nail on the head. The Gemini is an awesome bike. Its handmade in the USA and is very well equipped. IMO, Cannondale has done it again.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I have owned:
a 1999 Norco vps2, bought in 1999. That was my first suspension bike. I used it for DH and just riding around. Solid, 4bar FSR. Only weakness it used bushings at the pivots.

2002 cove g-spot. I recently sold this frame. Very burly, 4bar walking beam. Would feel even better with a DHX on it. Ciaran is the new owner, he even painted it a sweet color. I might end up ordering a new one and make it a trail bike.

2005 bullit. I just ordered this frame about a month ago. I decided to for a U.S. bike maker this time around. This is my first single pivot bike. With a Fox dhx 5.0 on there I really like the feel of the rear end. Dunno about the brake jack, as I've been working on not using the brakes too much so I can catch up to my faster friends.

Hard to choose a favorite.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
The C'Dale Gemini is a very versatile frame for sure. For some reason, I completely forgot about it when I mentioned the others. It's light, tunable for DH racing or freeride, but when you tune it for freeride, I really don't like the way it feels (twitchy, too high of a BB?) It's also not cheap, and unless you've got a platform valved shock on there, it'll bob with the best of them. And it has the 1.5" HT, which IMO is a negative attribute. So although it deserves to be included in my list, it is far from being the hands down winner.

mountaingoat

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
Hell Paso Texas
Banshee of course.. They are awesome.. I have ridden other bikes, but my scream pedals awesome.. Try it you will like it.. We rode 36 miles the other day , mostly dh , alot o pedaling though.. It seamed easier to pedal than my old FSR.. My scream weighs 5 times more.. SICK YO.. If your worried bout weight, get stronger!! :mumble: :evil:

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
sry yall' best FR bike ever: foes fly. only con is the price but this isn't the 'best, cheap, FR bike' thread. bulit is up there, so is stinky, vp-free, demo 8, scream, shore team. still what is all comes down to is personal perfrence and riding style

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

There is no general consensus on what "Freeride" means, so how can anyone say what is or was the best ever?

This is too painful, goodbye.

:stosh:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
^^
We're doing this just to p!ss you off... :blah:

It's always struck me as funny to see posters come on to a thread (thereby actually helping keep it going) and denounce it's contents, when they have the power to just ignore said commentary...About like people complaining about how bad Jennifer Lopez movies are (i.e. just don't watch the damn things and don't worry about it)...

So where was I? Oh yes, the best Freeride (as defined by the good folks at IMBA) bike ever...Ok, how about a Canfield? Or Disco? No, no, I think the Intense Uzzi SLX was the best :thumb:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Why isn't there an accepted definition of freeride?
Seems to me that it implies going downhill predominantly, with either natural and/or manmade stunts. If there's an uphill required to get to it, it's pedal-powered. If it's flat, or there aren't stunts, or the stunts are quite small, it's aggro trail. If it's more fast and flowy than stunt oriented, then the line starts to get blurry between that and downhill.
Doesn't seem that hard to me to define freeride. It's all the trail riders calling what they do "freeride" that seems to be the problem to me.
A loose definition is okay, for example, I ride DH and freeride. Some trails are very in between the two, and I'd rather just describe a trail than assert whether it's DH or freeride... it can be a little of both.
I think if you're sane, then this thread makes sense. Seems like most people are on the same page here, only the exception masters and loons are the ones having problems understanding.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Here it goes.... (stupid movie)

Its a sledgehammer, I mean what else can handle a 3 foot jump?

Actually, if I had to pick any bike, I would get a 2005 bullit, and get that special swingarm that is stiffer and has 8 inches of travel. (Problem solved Jackalope!) Then I would get a floating brake and a dhx w/ a titanuim spring.
Wow, I wish I had money!!! :cool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
jackalope said:
It's always struck me as funny to see posters come on to a thread (thereby actually helping keep it going) and denounce it's contents, when they have the power to just ignore said commentary...
I apparently don't have the power, that's what drives me nuts. :help:

erikkellison said:
Seems like most people are on the same page here, only the exception masters and loons are the ones having problems understanding.
Ah hah! I am the master loon!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! :eek: :eviltongu

But seriously, I don't agree that freeride is predominantly downhill. There are some pedal-powered trails in the new Bike mag that most people call freeride - or maybe Wade's opinion doesn't count? My only point is that an urban hardtail might be the best freeride bike to one person, whereas a 12" Super Monster Huck Machine the best for someone else. It's not much different from asking "What is the best mountain bike ever?" Fun to discuss, but good luck finding a consensus. Anyway, I mean it, goodbye. :)

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i think the kona stinky series deserves alot of respect for being around as long as it has, and remaining virtually un-changed