Quantcast

Grill time... got me one of these

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side

It was high time to retire the decript, rusty POS 20 year old Kenmore grill. The goal was deck size, not monster size which is kind of hard to find nowadays. Nice - three burners, porcelain coated cast iron grill plates, temperature readout. We didn't want a lot of bells and whistles. This Vermont Castings happens to be a CR "best buy" for whatever that's worth.

I did up a couple of nice 1-1/2" thick ribeyes last night. It was awesome.

geargrrl

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:drool:

Those Vermont Castings grills are sweet. My dad bought one a while back and I love using it whenever I visit him.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
TreeSaw said:
Very nice. I was just talking to the husband about replacing our trusty old grill...he doesn't think we need to and I do :think: weird!

sounds like the same story in our house

wife: when are we getting a new grill ?/
me: ahhh, this webber is just broken in

:)

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i like those simple ones, my dad went over baord, got a flipping huge one built in to the outside of our fireplace...

i'm guessing thats propane?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
partsbara said:
sounds like the same story in our house

wife: when are we getting a new grill ?/
me: ahhh, this webber is just broken in

:)
Watching Partsbara light the grill is watching a true pyromaniac at work.:redhot: :rofl: He's a fire artist. Too much petrol is barely enough.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
why not stainless..??..we are almost due also...and I would rather not have to look at an ugly cover.....I hate replacing something untill you really need to....

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
ktmsx said:
why not stainless..??..we are almost due also...and I would rather not have to look at an ugly cover.....I hate replacing something untill you really need to....
Why not stainlesss? Ugly is relative, you know.

Several reasons. The main ones are that we don't like the looks or the size of many of the stainless cabinet grills. Something big and shiny and capable of roasting small children was not on our radar. You can get cheaper ones with a stainless cabinet, but they are typically no-name house brands, with so many bells and whistles that you know it's probably a total piece of crap. We tend to shop for features and quality over looks. I'd rather have a grill that's solid that has a ten year warranty on the important parts, than one that looks cool that only has a three year warranty on the burner.

geargrrl

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
it would be like a big freakin mirror in your yard huh.???..good point...I kept my grill covered almost all the time and it still rotted out...??...I don't think it is that old but then again it seems like my oldest was born just a little while ago.!!!!...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I'm just thrilled to have something that cooks evenly, has some temperature control, and the option for indirect cooking. The old POS had settings like High and off, or Low and off, at the same time depending on where you put things on the grill. And lava rocks are just plain nasty.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
geargrrl said:
I'm just thrilled to have something that cooks evenly, has some temperature control, and the option for indirect cooking. The old POS had settings like High and off, or Low and off, at the same time depending on where you put things on the grill. And lava rocks are just plain nasty.
I would have bought the same grill you bought, but I wanted a larger grilling area. I didn't want the side burner, but it's hard to find a grill that size without one. Cooking evenly IS nice though. Our old grill did not cook evenly.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
I would have bought the same grill you bought, but I wanted a larger grilling area. I didn't want the side burner, but it's hard to find a grill that size without one. Cooking evenly IS nice though. Our old grill did not cook evenly.
I like our side burner. On really hot days we grill & cook with the side burner so as not to heat the house up.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
SkaredShtles said:
I like our side burner. On really hot days we grill & cook with the side burner so as not to heat the house up.
I was really torn about the side burner, but for the price point we were looking at I didn't like the options... mainly a Weber with these weird composite panels that looked like they'd get scratched up in a hurry.

Plus, if you've got a coleman propane two burner, you can set that up on your deck table anyway. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
Oh.

Is your house 400 sq feet?
No. But when you don't want to use the A/C it helps alot - the kitchen is on the west side of the house and we've got alot of windows on that side. In the afternon it heats up (when the temp is 95 or above it's pretty quick). Kitchen action will bump the temp 2-3 degrees in the areas of the house we use most.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
geargrrl said:
I was really torn about the side burner, but for the price point we were looking at I didn't like the options... mainly a Weber with these weird composite panels that looked like they'd get scratched up in a hurry.
Yep - we didn't particularly look for a side burner, but it happened to come on the one we got. It turned out to be pretty handy.

Plus, if you've got a coleman propane two burner, you can set that up on your deck table anyway. :)
I'm way too lazy to bring out the coleman two burner. :D