Quantcast

Grip Shifters Vs. Triggers.... who uses what and why?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I use a twist for the rear mech and a trigger for the front mech. I find the gripshifts with lots of clicks too complicated for the front mech, pushing a leaver is a quicker and more reliable that twisting some number of clicks.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
XT and XTR only
and there's a very good reason for it.

On my DH bike I'm a one finger braking guy. So I took an xtr bar end shifter and put it near my left hand. (obviously i don't have a front derailer) I then connected the downshift paddle to the right shifter. Only Xt and XTR feature this.
Result: both index fingers are on the brakes, left thumb = shifting down, right thumb = shifting up. Just like Airlines but without the hassle.
It's a bad pic but if you look well it shows the paddle on the left side and the narrow cable leading to the right shifter.

Eat this SRAM

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
thats a pretty nice setup but i think it would take me a little to long to get used to. I use Sram X.9 triggers and ever since i got those i will never never so back to shimano... period!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
BadFastard said:
XT and XTR only
and there's a very good reason for it.

On my DH bike I'm a one finger braking guy. So I took an xtr bar end shifter and put it near my left hand. (obviously i don't have a front derailer) I then connected the downshift paddle to the right shifter. Only Xt and XTR feature this.
Result: both index fingers are on the brakes, left thumb = shifting down, right thumb = shifting up. Just like Airlines but without the hassle.
It's a bad pic but if you look well it shows the paddle on the left side and the narrow cable leading to the right shifter.

Eat this SRAM
[do your homework]

Of course with SRAM triggers, you shift both directions with your thumb, which allows you to keep your fingers on the brakes at all times as well.

[/do your homework]

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Echo said:
[do your homework]

Of course with SRAM triggers, you shift both directions with your thumb, which allows you to keep your fingers on the brakes at all times as well.

[/do your homework]
Hmmmm...... I don't brake at all with my index finger. Am I the only one? :think:

-S.S.-

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
i like the twisters, because you can go from the top of your cassette to the bottom in just one motion, not many clicks. also i find the twister to be very presise, and crisp

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I prefer the Rapidfire system. Possibly the Trigger set. I dont like Gripshift because when i do wheelies, it changes gears. And the new Dual Control by Shimano I dont like either. But it is cool how they offer it in the LX group now.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
sram triggers, used to be a diehard shimano rapidfire guy, but with shimano's recent bs in product design it pushed me to the edge, no i am all about the triggers, they just feel better....

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
narlus said:
who shifts when they brake?
I have.

I use both, literally. For the chainring I use grip shift for two reasons. I don't have to tune any stupid index to be perfect and I can adjust it to get rid of noise if the chainline is off. the other reason is a handicap I have with a couple of missing fingers. Gripshift allows me to not remove my thumb from around the grip as, at time, my left hand is prone to flying off the handlebar.

For the rear I use sram triggers. I love em. x.7 work better then my xt and there is no stupid housing loop.

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
slowSSer said:
mainly? NO SHIFTERS!!!! SS BABY!!!

oh- one bike has the sram 9.0 triggers. MUCH better than the shin-man-o's
I used Shimano, but last year chenged to SRAM X.9 triggers. SRAM is much better, specially for DH.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Well, I have had old Push Push LX's
shimano triggers
gripshifts
friction shifters (paddle)
AND i have tried sram push push/thumb thumb

I think the shimano triggers are best. Thumb/Finger
The problem I had with gripshift was that you can't bunnyhop.
And you are constantly shifting your wrists around to get comfortable.
However, The SRAM triggers have a high quality/smooth + consistent feel as compared to all of the others.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i think so :eek:
I learned it from an old moto-x guy. He said he always keeps his index/thumb combo wrapped around the bar - he used his two middle fingers to brake/clutch.

It works pretty well, IMO. This way, I can always shift the triggers, stay on the brakes, and keep hold of the bar. :eek:

-S.S.-

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I like triggers mainly because I don't like having to turn my wrist while shifting. I've broken it before in a non bike related event, and just dont like the thought of a crash mid shift with my wrist at an odd angle. That said I think its just preference, I never really got the hang of grip shifters and just didn't find them comfortable, but I have friends that only use them.

næstep said:
Yes, it's a curse I'm destined to put up with for the rest of my days...
I'd like to go to internal gearing, but I'm unwilling to put up with the increase in unsprung mass that you get with the Rohloff. I hope that frame mounted internal gearing matures and makes its way down to some of the lighter bikes sooner rather than later.

J

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I have Dual Control XT's on my new Superlight. Was somewhat skeptical in the beginning but after a month on the bike i am warming up to them.Shifting is pretty much effortless.Being able to brake and shift at the same time can come in handy.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't listen to anyone else's opinion on this...it's the ultimate personal-preference question. You can find twisters pretty cheap. If you haven't used them before, give them a try. Try www.cambriabike.com ; they always seem to have them in the hot deals section, cheap. If you don't like them, get some X7 triggers. That's the only real answer to your question.

The "no good for FR/Jumping" line of thinking is drivel. They're fine for any use if you don't hold on to them while you're not shifting, and it's nice to grab a handful of gears when you need it.

Personally, I hated the thought of twists until I tried them.

MD

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Had gripshift for like 2 months and it got annoying because i keep my hands on the outside of my bars and hate having my hands on the shifters and hate moving my hands over to shift. I use shimano and sram triggers but love the srams and plan to when i get the money put em on my bighit and my chase.