Quantcast

grips

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my bike needs some love...
my scott lock-on grips are worn.... whats the golden standard (no $100 bling grips, please) in the market?
i like thin, sticky and softish...

are ODIs still the best???
has to be plastic ends too!.. there are many many dings from metallic bar end caps in the marble floors in my house...

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Try Specialized Grappler or XC grips. They are thin and grippy, and they don't have unecessary screw and ring at the end. (less fatigue and possibly pain if you hold bars at the end)

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
ruffians for the win although rode a bike with the TLD ODI grips lately and there pretty sweet think theyll be the next ones ill be getting just to try them out for a more long term test.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I grabbed some Ergon GA1 grips and am really pretty disappointed so far. I only have one early season riding day on them so far, but they murdered my hands. I didn't get arm pump too bad, which is their claim to fame, but they have almost no compression to them, ie they are really hard with a grippy outer surface.

I may give them another day, but I might just look for something with some squish. I came from Intense half-waffle lock-ons, which I loved but wanted something with more squish. These are not them.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I am a huge fan of Cane Creek lock ons. I'm sure they are just ODI, but the raised lizards placed in the pattern running lengthwise makes them great for grip.

The first day they feel hard, but then after that they are super grippy and get really soft without being big in your palm. I like thin, but I don't like my hands slipping around on muddy days in the mountains. Muddy in the mountains is most all the time.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cane+creek+lock+on&hl=en&safe=active&rls=com.microsoft:*&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=9r2-TfPMNZCDtgfPqOXkBQ&ved=0CC4QrQQ&biw=1419&bih=720

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I second the ODI TLD grips. Just put em on the bike. They feel great, awesome grip. A little bit more cush then the ODI rogues. Id buy them again in a heart beat

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i still dig the sunline logo thins after riding ruffians forever. i've also got some cannondale grinds that feel great but are a tad thicker. i do like the raised outer edge though.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I've been running various Sunline lock-on grips (blue ones, green ones, grey ones..no idea of the model names) the past 18 months

just gone back to ODI Ruffian lock-on grips, and the difference is very noticeable

the Ruffians are not as comfortable as the Sunlines, but I feel much more "control" and "feedback" from the bike

almost feeling like my suspension (Fox 36 Float RC2 and Fox RP23 BV) need retuning slightly softer, as they are almost edging on 'harsh' on small bumps

its perhaps surprising how much difference changing a grip can make to your bike? but maybe not, when you consider its one of 3 'contact points' (grips, saddle, pedals) on your bike...

I used ODI lock-on for years before going to Sunlines, and generally enjoyed the Ruffian, found the Rogue too fat (I take a medium riding glove) and the Lizard Skin Logo and North Shore very good with a weird super tacky rubber compound

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
ODI x-trainers are by far the best i have tried super good feeling and super grippy even if you get mud on them. They have lasted over a full year and i ride all year round and i suspect they will last at least one more year.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I can't run Ruffians for my big mitts. My grips need to be slightly bigger, but Rogues are a little too much.

My DH bike has these:

and my trailbike has these:

(I wish the TLD's were a touch wider... Peaty grips are the same width, but fine without the flanges.)