Quantcast

Groovy Gravity Games '05?

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Any Team wrong way guys still on here? Is there any chance of you guys hosting the GGG race this year? Last year was the "last", but I'm still hoping there might be a chance this year... Anything?

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
I talked to one of the main guys who put it on and the big reason they might not do it is becasue they didn't like hauling all that stuff out to carnegie.

...Plus they didn't recieve enough sexual favors, and they were really bummed about that.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Fastest race ever!! That race was so fun...I would love it if I actually got to practice. Please do it again!!! Please! I will haul all your crap out there myself if you do it again. :cool:

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I hope they put it on again too. It is a really fun event. That was my one and only downhill race and I'd like to do it again. I must have a chance to improve on my lackluster performance last year. It really didn't matter because I was just so stoked to be there doing it. Team Wrong Way did and excellent job. What could we do to make it more worth their while?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Heath Sherratt said:
Fastest race ever!! That race was so fun...I would love it if I actually got to practice. Please do it again!!! Please! I will haul all your crap out there myself if you do it again. :cool:
you got 1 practice run in right?

You know, I've been wondering the same thing. The GGG last year was my first race ever! Despite loosing my rear brake at the starting line and going OTB 3 times as a result, I still had a really great time. The atmosphere was awsome and everyone I met was really cool.

Come on Team Wrong Way, set it up!!! I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers to help out.... :thumb:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I hope they do it again. I emailed one of the TWW guys a while back and they never got back to me. It was my first DH race, and it was such a fun course, it was so fast and wide open. Plus if they did it again I could try to improve over my performance and not crash in that last section.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
black noise said:
I hope they do it again. I emailed one of the TWW guys a while back and they never got back to me. It was my first DH race, and it was such a fun course, it was so fast and wide open. Plus if they did it again I could try to improve over my performance and not crash in that last section.
Agreed! I want to go back this time to see if I've gotten any better.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Last year was going to be my first year racing the GGG, but when my bike wouldn't fit on my buddy's roof rack, I missed the race! If it goes down this year, I'll be stoked to race it.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Best race of the year... it would be a shame to lose it. If TWW needs more help I'm sure they could get it.

Wow - I stop reading RM for 6 months, and I miss all kinds of stuff... So, you want to know if we're going to run the GGG again, eh??? Well... I'm happy to report that at this moment in time, we're "looking into it". I'm actually currently looking into possibly having it at a different location this year - I know that a lot of you were looking forward to the Carnegie course, but there are a few reason's that we're considering something different this year. However, it's still just in the "scoping out" stage, and so this decision hasn't been made yet. I know some of you wanted to see how you improved from last year and all that, but if we do it somewhere else, we still promiss a fun course. Gotta keep things interesting...

I must say to you all - thank you for all the support! It's really cool hearing (and reading) how all of you really want us to do it again. People's comments have more of an impact that you might think. So - will we do it? Most likely. Where? Maybe Carnegie, maybe a different place (I'm going to keep this under wraps for now). I promiss to post something here once we decide this stuff.

Just so you all know, we do appreciate all of the offers to help build the course and all of that - when the time comes we may post something on this list and others asking for volunteers. It's actually not volunteer help that makes it tough to do the race out at Carnegie - it's really a combo of all the logistics stuff - including a 2-hour+ drive for some of the key people that are organizing (myself included) every time we need to get out there.

If you really want to help with something related to this - help convince your teammates/parents/friends/church-group/420-partners/etc that the Bay Area needs someone else to step up and start hosting DH races! I will be more than happy to be a source of information to whomever is interested - PM me any time. One of Team Wrong Way's goals with the GGG has always been to hopefully inspire other groups to host some local DH races the way that the old Hollister RIDE series races helped inspire us.

Keep the rubber side down (at least by the time you land!)
-S
:cool:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Hey Sc........mtbhead, I'm glad you ventured over here to RM to check out some of the positive feedback about GGG. I hope it goes off again, and as you know I'll be happy to lend a hand again when the time comes. I'm sure ricebowls (eric) would be interested also. Keep us updated and thanks for the reply back to the thread.

you can PM me here if you lost my #

timmeat

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
i cant wait
im down to help with heavy rocks
ive got my garden tools and a 6-pack
i also plan to help clean up after
thanks tww
tim

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
anyone know if you can camp in the parking lot area for the race? A bunch of us are thinking of just sleeping in our trucks on saturday night... Can we?

I'm going to be looking into that, but don' t get your hopes up. Last year we were allowed to do that because the main campground was completely filled with MXers that were there for the big hill climb race. The rangers that are there overnight tend to want to keep everyone in the campground - it makes it easier for them to keep track of everyone, respond to emergencies, etc. You never know though - I'll try to post something on all the BBS after I get an answer on it.

Yeti DHer said:
anyone know if you can camp in the parking lot area for the race? A bunch of us are thinking of just sleeping in our trucks on saturday night... Can we?

Hey Acadian - Nope, different weekend this time. It's always surprisingly difficult to find a weekend that works for our volunteers (mostly XC racers), doesn't conflict with any other mtb races, and works for the State Park. Even after carefully checking all over the web first, contacting other race promotors, etc., switching our target date a few times, I still ended up with some conflicts. The CCCX organizors suddenly announced in a limited email group that they were going to hold one of their XC races that weekend (Fort Ord?) - not sure if they've reconsidered though. I'm going to try to call them soon.

Then I recently found out that one of the Sand Hill DS races is on Saturday (doh! again!). I'm most bummed about that. I had even previously checked the p&r website, so it caught me by surprise. Phil and Renee are totally cool though, and will try to get racers out of their early enough that if you hurry over to Carnegie you should be able to sneak in a Sat practice run (I'll try to talk my shuttle drivers into going a little later than what we posted, but I can't garantee it).

On a side note - since there's no hill climb on the same weekend, the rangers will probably want all campers to camp in their main campground, rather than in the GGG parking area like we were able to do last year. I'm working on trying to get permission though - we'll see how it goes, and I'll announce something here on that at some point.

Acadian said:
will there also be a hill climb that weekend this year?

justhuckit

Chimp
Feb 6, 2005
san jose, ca
im there. i just havent heard that name in a long time, i broke my femour there a couple years ago on a dirt bike. look 4 me, im on a 2002 rotec(red) tall, twiches, and always wears a hat.
thx kyle