Quantcast

Grove is at it again!!

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Hey all,

So as some may know, I built up my first frame around June of last year. Since then, I've had a chance to ride it hard and find what I do and don't like about it. Given the fact that riding season is here (for most people), I decided that now would be a good time to crank out version number two!

Now for the differences - I decided I wanted to run an eccentric BB w/ vert. dropouts for a bombproof singlespeed setup. I also decided to shortened the stays to
15.375" and lengthen the TT to 23.5". Some may like to take note of the "new" hotrods... For those who lived through the retro days of mtn. biking, you may recognize these cranks. We updated them to be compatible with shimano outboard bearings and overall, I must say they are some of the sickest cranks I've seen or ridden! I wanted to add some "sex" to the frame, so I decided to add a cutout in the seattube and driveside chainstay to allow for clearances, and gave it some new color!! Beyond that, I'll let the pictures do the talking ;)

Frame Geo
HT Angle: 69
ST Angle: 71
TT Length: 23.5"
CS Length: 15.375" w/ BB @ shortest point
BB Height: 13"

The Build
Fork: 426 Pike w/ xfirm spring
Cranks: Hot Rods
BB: Shimano XT outboards
Stem: FIT DLD flipped
Bars: A-Lab LTD Race
R Hub: KHE Geisha 11t
F Hub: DMR Revolver
Rims: Sun Single Tracks
Tires: R Kiniption/F Motodigger
Brake: Oldschool Hayes Mags DHX
Chainring: FIT 25t
Seat: S&M Slim
Pedals: DMR V.12 Mag's
Grips: ODI X-Treme lockons
Chain: Shadow v.2
Headset: Red CK

I took her to rays for her maiden voyage (mind you, it was mine as well), and I had a BLAST!! Only thing I see in the future is a front brake and possibly taller bars...

We are currently taking small orders for frames for anyone who may be interested. If so, drop me a PM or email at adg14 @ scasd.org.

If you have an questions, ask away!!

Thanks,
Aaron

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Damn thats nice, love the paint.
Thanks man, She jumps oh-so-nicely. Rays was quite possibly the best time I've had on two wheels... me and a buddy rode this past saturday for 7 hours... Needless to say, my hands, legs, arms, neck, back, etc. are all still recovering... But it was all worth it in the end!! I only wish they were open in the spring/summer!!

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
That's really sweet. I'm digging the details and the paint.

Allthough, I'm not really a fan of the top tube/down tube design.

Do you prefer the eccentric BB and vert dropouts to the horz. dropouts?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
That's really sweet. I'm digging the details and the paint.

Allthough, I'm not really a fan of the top tube/down tube design.

Do you prefer the eccentric BB and vert dropouts to the horz. dropouts?
After having issues with adjustable dropouts in the past, I think that the eccentric will be a GREAT alternative. It is too early to tell as I have only had a chance to rip on it for one day - but after talking to people who run eccentrics (along with my father who ran them for YEARS on his tandems), they seems to be bombproof. Set 'em and forget 'em. They are quick to adjust as well. The alternatives always have consequences, take horiz drops. To prevent any slipping, you need chaintugs, they can be a bit bulky and ugly (to some peoples tastes) and can add weight. With an eccentric, you're able to loose weight in the dropout area, but also gain some in the BB. Overall - I haven't a single complaint so far.

real nice looking frame. The overall set up looks just as good!!!
Thanks - I decided to build this rig up with parts I wanted, not just parts I could afford ;) Actually got the fork used as a part of a payment towards one of these frames!

Thanks for all the props,
Aaron

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
talk about blast from the past... Grove Innovations. Interesting... and awesome paint.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
I like it... but shortening the fork may help it handle... The front end won't want to wash out as much and less travel will give more pop off of lips. I like the frame alot.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Hot Rod. Legit.

Very nice work, looks super fun.

no splines on the crank spindle? Using the pinch bolt just around the tri-lobe looking design? Very interesting.
oh yeah, and I see you're rocking the new Fit UHR stem, the good ol' "up-high rise", haha.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
love it man, how does that thing handle in the park/tight stuff?

I don’t know it would get my vote for that type of riding but just about anything else that would be perfect. Man that thing is like a super sexy beast of the east / evil sovereign clone with way better paint and details.

(see east coast trail ripper)

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Very HOT Aaron!

Way to sweat the details: Love the seat tube, the paint, and the cranks....

Keep being innovative.

GM

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Some cool ideas.

What eccentric did you use, or did you make your own?

Love to know more about the cranks. One of my friends had a Grove X-frame when I was in high school. Hot Rod cranks, and the one piece bar/stem. Really innovative, quality stuff.

-L

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I like it... but shortening the fork may help it handle... The front end won't want to wash out as much and less travel will give more pop off of lips. I like the frame alot.
To every his own - I like how she rides as its set up. The front end didnt seem to "wash out" at rays this past weekend...

....no splines on the crank spindle? Using the pinch bolt just around the tri-lobe looking design? Very interesting.
oh yeah, and I see you're rocking the new Fit UHR stem, the good ol' "up-high rise", haha.
The UHR :biggrin: I like that...

Very HOT Aaron!

Way to sweat the details: Love the seat tube, the paint, and the cranks....

Keep being innovative.

GM
Thanks for the good words, Greg. I'm real happy with how thee bike turned out. I'm starting to find out that the details are really what makes a bike stand out from its competition...

When are you going to come back to OTN and finish your trials frame?:disgust1:
:redface: That project should hopefully be fully kicked off here in a month or so... I keep putting it off and putting it off, I have all the files done (for the most part), all I need to do is start cutting some tubes!

Some cool ideas.

What eccentric did you use, or did you make your own?

Love to know more about the cranks. One of my friends had a Grove X-frame when I was in high school. Hot Rod cranks, and the one piece bar/stem. Really innovative, quality stuff.

-L
Landon,

We actually have quite a few eccentrics laying around from the old days of Grove Innovation. My pops used to run them on his tandems - as far as I know, he did all the machining on them.

I will try to have some better pictures/specs posted up on the cranks later on tonight.

Thanks for the good words, all.
-Aaron

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Looks great!

I actually like the cross TT/DT. It gives a ton more standover clearance. I also think the EBB is a nice touch - solves the dropout issue when running disc brakes (horizontal dropouts can be a pain when changing the rear wheel and having discs)

Very very clean. I would love to see one w/ a 22" TT - that one there is long!

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
To every his own - I like how she rides as its set up. The front end didnt seem to "wash out" at rays this past weekend...

Thanks for the good words, all.
-Aaron
If it works for you awesome... I love the top tube like that. Looks killer. It must be so much easier to kick a foot over it.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Looks great!

I actually like the cross TT/DT. It gives a ton more standover clearance. I also think the EBB is a nice touch - solves the dropout issue when running disc brakes (horizontal dropouts can be a pain when changing the rear wheel and having discs)

Very very clean. I would love to see one w/ a 22" TT - that one there is long!
Thanks - I suppose I should have specified that the frames are available in a few different length TT's - I'll post more up on that later.

Thanks,
-Aaron

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Aaron,

nice job! I miss the good ol days of seeing Grove Innovations bikes around! We had a splatter frame in the shop up until 2 or so years ago! I don't know where but I thought I heard that GI was building DH wheel chairs etc.? I remember "aeromet" spelling may be wrong but, I remember in the early/mid 90's some Grove Inn. info about using this stronger than steel tubing etc! :biggrin:
Great paint, Glad to see you are keeping the torch lit! :thumb:

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Ahh.. the downhill chairs.

There was a point in time (I was still way too young to have understood) where they were doing a lot of things in what way of paraplegics

More info for any interested can be seen here.

Thanks,
-Aaron

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh

There was a point in time (I was still way too young to have understood) where they were doing a lot of things in what way of paraplegics

Thanks,
-Aaron

that stuff is bad @ss! props to you and your family for expanding the "stoke" to people who wouldn't otherwise have the opertunity to experience "adventure sports"!

good stuff!

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal

Thanks,
-Aaron
Did you ever get the chance to rip one down a hill when you were younger ? :biggrin:
I never had cool toys like that around my house growing up , or I would have gotten into a LOT more trouble !

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Wow that frame is gorgeous!! Awesome work! Will you be focusing exclusively on this one type of frame or will you also plan on building other types of mtb hardtail frames?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Did you ever get the chance to rip one down a hill when you were younger ? :biggrin:
I never had cool toys like that around my house growing up , or I would have gotten into a LOT more trouble !
Unfortunitally.... I was far too young to be rippin' on one of those!! I definitally had some of the sickest bikes in my neighborhood as a kid thou ;) along with a few other toys...

Wow that frame is gorgeous!! Awesome work! Will you be focusing exclusively on this one type of frame or will you also plan on building other types of mtb hardtail frames?
Does a Ti X-9'er w/ rohloff specific D/O's, an EBB, and internal routing do anything for you? :cheers:

PLEASE ignore the decals.... We realized VERY quickly that what may look cool on paper, may not on a frame....

BUT to answer your question, yes. We are actually working on getting one of these frames with a shorter TT and a rigid 20mil thru fork out for a customer in Ohio. Other than that, we are trying to get into 29'ers, some Cyclocross frames, and if anyone has an interested (I am building one up for myself...) trials frames... But basically all that we do is one-off so if anyone is interested in having anything done, please let us know!!

Thanks all,
-Aaron

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The crisscrossed top tube and downtube is a terrible idea, basically negating all the inherent strength of a triangular frame. At the point where they intersect, your mainframe is basically just a down tube. That point is without a doubt the weakest point in the mainframe, and is really there for no reason at all other than looks. I dont doubt that it will probably hold up just based on overbuilt-ness, but structurally speaking it is an awful design.:plthumbsdown: