Quantcast

GT DH bike with internal tranmission, pics!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Right on. GT was been floating around that design FOREVER. But that is "looking" closer to a reality bike every day.

Maybe they finally have a trans that is durable enough?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
Don't think so brad. It's got tensioners on both ends and the chain looks nice and tight.

the suspension design seems pretty decent too, a bit of a PDC bite but i suppose that can be let slide since there's a pivot at the back.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
CreeP said:
the suspension design seems pretty decent too, a bit of a PDC bite but i suppose that can be let slide since there's a pivot at the back.
bah, not even close to a PDC... :devil:

i really like it, much cleaner than the various Nicolai offerings, good structural use of the linkages....if they'd just get the damn thing to market already.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
zedro said:
guess you could run a guard if getting your bike dirty bothers you.

no its not like that, i just hate having to clean out my whole shock. i could care less about dirt just it getting caked in there and ****

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
buildyourown said:
I think they just reincarnated the original RTS.
I'd ride that even though its a POS Pacific bike. I am soo ready to stop consuming derailuers.
That bike is much better than the RTS! :D I used to own a RTS. I :heart: that bike but...that sir, is no RTS.

:)

:think: Should it be called the RTITS the Rocker Tuned Internal Transmission Suspension

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
zedro said:
think it has some chain feedback issues? lol

and :stosh: for the Pacific comment :rolleyes:

Mine was just about identical by the time I sold her.

It is still one of my favorite bikes I have owned. It suffered from horrendous feedback....as was the style at the time. Trek did it IH did it...lots of manufacturers used the chain tension and stiff springs to render the suspension useless for small bumps. Banking on the "feel" of a HT while pedaling. If you had any sag the chain would have to pull the suspension tight before using the energy to move the bike.

It only had like 1.8" of travel but it felt like 2.5" :D

I even drew up a Dream RTS back in college (~1994). It had a jack shaft of all things, up to the pivot then back to the wheel, but it used a std deraileur. :) I didn't really know how it could actually be done but my college ruled paper drawn Dram RTS was free of that nasty feedback.

:think: Probably why I am so sensitive to it even to this day.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
wow finally a bike that impresses me, they have meshed simplicty and technology into one lump of pulsating metal. but i definatly wont bother with an internal gearbox untill its fully accepted among the biking world.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Mmm, looks nicer than the other. GT deserve an award for being the most prolific producer of vapourware.
Either them, or the company that makes titanium BMX cranks.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
The guy posting is the Norwegian importer. He says he will have a version ride-able in his hands the week after SeaOtter. Can't wait to try it :-)

He allready has one order for it...a dude leaving his VpFree for one of these.

I have also seen rumors about release in Brittain in september.

OddArne

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Trondheim, Norway
Hi all, I am surprised how quickly the world has picked up on my release from a little country way north in Europe :)

The bike goes into final production in approx august, which means availability all over the world in September.

According to the product guys at GT there will some mud cover parts that does not show on those samples. There will also be "something" close to the top of the left chainstay (or seatstay, which is the same thing on this bike...) for the chain, I don't know quite what.

From test riding the bike it seems really tight and plush, pedalling very well. I am sure we will have lots more of reports in the weeks to come, as the media release will be done during Sea Otter this weekend. I believe GT has 8 bikes there for editors and journos to ride.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/IT1_promo.php

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
TheInedibleHulk said:
Im gonna have to agree, no matter how tight the chain is its gonna slap being that close.

it is tight like a bmx bike.

do they slap?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Anyone actually used the Shimano Nexus DH 8-speed hub?
The existing nexus hubs are pretty much aimed at around town bikes and do not perform well enough for mtb use.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
D_D said:
Anyone actually used the Shimano Nexus DH 8-speed hub?
The existing nexus hubs are pretty much aimed at around town bikes and do not perform well enough for mtb use.
that does seem the sketchy aspect of designing a bike around that hub. time will tell i guess. the nexus has seen some improvements; gt must be confident its up to the task.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
bcd said:
it is tight like a bmx bike.

do they slap?
no kidding, guess they forgot theres no derailler, but rather a single degree of freedom pulley....ooo wait we we're e-spec'ing again, maybe they put a limp-dick spring in there :D...

i like the way they made the chainlines parrallel, shows some attention to pimpness

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
stupid single pivot design. :D

What is with the MRP roller? They use pulleys on the other spots. Is it because the pulleys are needed where the chain has a tighter angle to turn?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
RhinofromWA said:
stupid single pivot design. :D

What is with the MRP roller? They use pulleys on the other spots. Is it because the pulleys are needed where the chain has a tighter angle to turn?
i think they're just using it as a basic guide to keep the chain on track; theres probably alot of tension on the pulleys which is more ideal and quieter

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
i think we should all wait until it comes out and just see exactly what its gonna be like, maybe their will be chain slap maybe not who knows until we see the real thing

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
They had an article on that bike in the last bike mag talking about internal transmissions but they also reviewed that bike. It runs off a shimano nexus hub deal kinda idea i think.

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
cove rider said:
i think we should all wait until it comes out and just see exactly what its gonna be like, maybe their will be chain slap maybe not who knows until we see the real thing
blasphemy! :angry: