Quantcast

GT DH-I + shorter shock?

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
Will a 8.75 x 2.75 DHX 5.0 work on DH-I or will the reservoir hit the frame on full compression?
Seems like no place carries 9 x 2.75.
Can someone with a DH-I measure if the shorter shock would work?
Thanks!!

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
Found a post that confirms it will work with 8.75 swinger. Can anyone confirm that it'll work with DHX 5.0 as well?

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
It should work. I believe they shipped with 8.75" shocks at one point. Either way, run the shorter shock and flip your travel chip forward. This should make up for the difference and keep the geometry the same as with the longer shock.

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
It should work. I believe they shipped with 8.75" shocks at one point. Either way, run the shorter shock and flip your travel chip forward. This should make up for the difference and keep the geometry the same as with the longer shock.
Flipping the chip is the easy part. My concern is that the reservoir will hit the frame, since it'll come 1/4" closer to the frame on full compression.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I have an old Vanilla shock(non propedal) that was never used with reducers and everything set up for the DH I for sale. I bought the wrong one, and then sold the bike that I was supposed to be for. Let me know if you're interested.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
I run an 8.75 Swinger on mine. No clearance issues whatsoever.

With the travel chip foward, large frame, 888 w/stock (tall) crowns, the HA is about 65 and BB is 14.6.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
The resivour is in the same location regardless of the eye-eye measurement.

I belive it would clear. My old DHi frame has plenty of clearance between the seat tube and the resivour. However, the seat post can hit it pretty easily if you lower the seat too much. As stated above, borrow a shock and try it with the spring off. I don't have a DHX anymore shock or I'd try it for you.

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
if you run a shorter length shock and the bike has a big compression. ie. a bottom out. the dogbone will go past centre and flip it self over making the i drive go backwards which leaves the bike stuck at almost full bottom out and is a complete c*nt to fix. just run a 9x3inch stroke, they work well in them

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
if you run a shorter length shock and the bike has a big compression. ie. a bottom out. the dogbone will go past centre and flip it self over making the i drive go backwards which leaves the bike stuck at almost full bottom out and is a complete c*nt to fix. just run a 9x3inch stroke, they work well in them
Uh, no it doesn't. At least not on my '04.

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
Looks like there's just no way to do this without having the actual shock and frame side by side.
Just FYI.. there is no difference between running 8.75 x 2.75 vs 9 x 3 when it comes to clearance.. when fully compressed, eye to eye will be exactly the same.. 6" even.. meaning reservoir will be in exactly the same position.
Thanks, everyone.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Looks like there's just no way to do this without having the actual shock and frame side by side.
Just FYI.. there is no difference between running 8.75 x 2.75 vs 9 x 3 when it comes to clearance.. when fully compressed, eye to eye will be exactly the same.. 6" even.. meaning reservoir will be in exactly the same position.
Thanks, everyone.
You could just take off the big blue knob if there is a problem. That should give you more than enough clearance. If I get a chance I will take my sping off and look at clearance.

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
You could just take off the big blue knob if there is a problem. That should give you more than enough clearance. If I get a chance I will take my sping off and look at clearance.
You da man! I assume you're running stock DHX (9 x 2.75)?

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
Oh and one more thing.. what about Roco RC? It comes in 9 x 2.75 and it seems like stable platform is really not necessary for DHi, right?
Anyone know what size bushings I'd need? :D
Thanks!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Oh and one more thing.. what about Roco RC? It comes in 9 x 2.75 and it seems like stable platform is really not necessary for DHi, right?
Anyone know what size bushings I'd need? :D
Thanks!
Yeah the DHi doesnt need a stable platform. I have the pro pedal all the way off on the DHX and it pedals great