Quantcast

GT is back - kinda

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I want to know if Bryn was on that thing this past weekend for the world cup. And if he was not then will he be on one by the time the season ends?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
stiksandstones said:
Supposed to be $3400 complete
GT's product director said somewhere in the range of $5000 with the full build at the Sea Otter display (Fox 40...saint...MTX...etc.).

They won't offer it as a frame alone, supposedly. I'm guessing because GT usually doesn't do that now, and the proprietary nature of a lot of the parts.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Bryn was NOT on that bike in spain, he rode a DHi for his 10th place, probably will not race it this year.
It is being touted as a Freeride bike, not a race bike...but ya never know.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
stiksandstones said:
Bryn was NOT on that bike in spain, he rode a DHi for his 10th place, probably will not race it this year.
Yep, supposedly it weighs in at around 42lbs.

They're going to be offering a superlight race model later on this year...prolly unveil it sometime in the summer.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Jayridesacove said:
Jericho cycles had a ss bike with a belt drive back in 2001.
lots of companies have tried it. we made one when i worked for ti cycles. the dont work great in the mud. in fact, they dont work at all in heavy mud. for urban or track apps, they are ideal.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
stiksandstones said:
Thats what I thought but I was told differently by a few people.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
zedro said:
why? expecting to be feeding bricks into the backside of the tire?
not likely, but an odd rock or two would not be out of the question. Not to mention a constant on slaught of sand/mud/pebbles/sticks... depending on what you ride. Surely the life span of a shock (especially the seals) in direct path of constant debris will become compromised.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Sherpa said:
Wait, there better be cum on the rear fender, or come with a rear fender?
either way ( :rolleyes: ) i dont see how the lack of a fender could dissuade, considering the uniqueness of the design. If your putting down that much cash, whats a few extra bucks to install one yourself?

But then again, people buy stuff on the basis of a paint job....

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
ncrider said:
not likely, but an odd rock or two would not be out of the question. Not to mention a constant on slaught of sand/mud/pebbles/sticks... depending on what you ride. Surely the life span of a shock (especially the seals) in direct path of constant debris will become compromised.
Lots of bikes out there have exposed shocks.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
looks like the new davinci 8flat8 mated with a bmw.

what is up with the linkage. is that a VP type linkage or a mutation of a horst. the pivot near the transmision doesn't look like it "floats" like the VP's do, despite the fact that the bottom bracket link looks like it does.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
mandown said:
looks like the new davinci 8flat8 mated with a bmw.

what is up with the linkage. is that a VP type linkage or a mutation of a horst. the pivot near the transmision doesn't look like it "floats" like the VP's do, despite the fact that the bottom bracket link looks like it does.
its a single pivot, the bottom linkage only drives the shock, and gives it super-stiff action oooo......

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
zedro said:
its a single pivot, the bottom linkage only drives the shock, and gives it super-stiff action oooo......
i contemplated the single pivot idea, but the pivot on the chainstay made me think it was a horst-like creature. but i guess the chainstay is the only pivot location option. if it was on the seatstay the linkage would not move.

what kind of pedal/brake implications are in that design. will it brake jack like a high-single-pivot (balfa) design without the use of a floater?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
mandown said:
what kind of pedal/brake implications are in that design. will it brake jack like a high-single-pivot (balfa) design without the use of a floater?
single pivots dont jack, they 'squat and release' lol. But yeah, similar to a BB7 but the pivot is more BMW-ish. The GT site mentioned something about the braking system and they never show pics of the caliper side, so i'm wondering if maybe theres a link going to the chainstay or something to change the braking behavior.

high pivots pedal really well, i'm guessing it might pedal a bit firmer than a BMW as well (due to the non-concentric pivot)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Ian Collins said:
HAHHAHA...that's a good one....you never cease to amaze me...
hmm, dont you ride a BMW? i shoulda said 'high pivots with modified chain lines pedal really well', seeing as this is what we are talking about (i know its hard to follow)...they actually emulate what alot of 4 bar designs do, but with a rearward axle path (yeah, i know your confused now...)

but seeing how amazing you are... :rolleyes:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ian Collins said:
HAHHAHA...that's a good one....you never cease to amaze me...
zeds right. my bb7 was the best pedaling bike i've ever ridden. thats why i bought one after a parking lot test ride. the bike was not without issues, but it pedaled great