Quantcast

Guess what this is

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What's the big kick with I9 wheels? They look to be just a King hub, and some super custom impossible to find when you break 'em spokes. An I missing something or do I9s have all the same problems that people hate Mavic system wheels for? Aslo are those spokes aluminum? If so yikes is all I can say.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
spacemanspiff06 said:
oh, your nevagal is on backwards.
ya i know in my rush to get my wheelset back together i kinda put it on the wrong way. im gunna fix it tomorrow.

this is all the colors they come in

and to answer your question maxyedor they are the stiffest and possibly(correct me somone if im wrong) lightest DH wheelset available, the also have more engagment points then any other wheelset on the maket, more then king, hadley and dt swiss.and then of course theres the bling factor haha
you can read all about them on
www.industrynine.net

and for anyone ordering them they do not come with a rear axel.

89yota

Chimp
Oct 10, 2003
Never been much of a fan of the mavic systems. They make great rims but their hubs are absolutely garbage. Read the owners manual on those wheels, it tells you to basically dissasemble and clean and rebuild your hub every few rides. So they're way labor intensive. I also can't even begin to tell you how many people have returned crossmax, crossride, and all the like due to the excessive hub wear after only a month of riding. And good luck having Mavic warranty their stuff.

Personally, I can't wait till my Phil Woods come in. Absolutely bombproof hubs. As for the rim...I haven't the faintest Idea of what I'll get

snoopz666 said:
ya i know in my rush to get my wheelset back together i kinda put it on the wrong way. im gunna fix it tomorrow.

this is all the colors they come in

and to answer your question maxyedor they are the stiffest and possibly(correct me somone if im wrong) lightest DH wheelset available, the also have more engagment points then any other wheelset on the maket, more then king, hadley and dt swiss.and then of course theres the bling factor haha
you can read all about them on
www.industrynine.net

and for anyone ordering them they do not come with a rear axel.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
ragin-sagin said:
King make a 150 TA?
Nope, but Hadley does, and my local shop has spokes to fit a Hadley (far better than King anyway IMHO) in-stock. As for them having more engagement points than King/Hadley, care to put a number on that claim? I beleive Hadley makes a 124 point hub, and had always heard that King makes the I9 hubs in the first place.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I nuked a rear Crossland hub right after it got discontinued so they had to send me a crossmax which I promplty sold and then laced a XTR to a Mavic rim... :) This was back when I weighed 130 and rode light cross country. Damn hubs are crap indeed...

89yota said:
Never been much of a fan of the mavic systems. They make great rims but their hubs are absolutely garbage. Read the owners manual on those wheels, it tells you to basically dissasemble and clean and rebuild your hub every few rides. So they're way labor intensive. I also can't even begin to tell you how many people have returned crossmax, crossride, and all the like due to the excessive hub wear after only a month of riding. And good luck having Mavic warranty their stuff.

Personally, I can't wait till my Phil Woods come in. Absolutely bombproof hubs. As for the rim...I haven't the faintest Idea of what I'll get

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
maxyedor said:
Nope, but Hadley does, and my local shop has spokes to fit a Hadley (far better than King anyway IMHO) in-stock. As for them having more engagement points than King/Hadley, care to put a number on that claim? I beleive Hadley makes a 124 point hub, and had always heard that King makes the I9 hubs in the first place.
Hadley used to make a 108 engagement hub. That is no longer available. You can ony get hadleys in 72 or 36 now. Also I'm pretty positive that I9 makes everything in house (so king has nothing to do with it). Plus I9 hubs don't use ring drive which king would have pushed them to if they were infact making the hubs.

Also the I9 spokes are 12guage instead of 14. They are aluminum but are stronger and stiffer than steel spokes. And the wheelset comes with some extra spokes incase you do need to replace one.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm with Maxydor on this one. They are blingin wheels but not for me. I will only go so far to save weight on my DH/FR wheels and that is too far. Nipples aren't that heavy...I even use those way heavy brass ones.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
bballe336 said:
Hadley used to make a 108 engagement hub. That is no longer available. You can ony get hadleys in 72 or 36 now. Also I'm pretty positive that I9 makes everything in house (so king has nothing to do with it). Plus I9 hubs don't use ring drive which king would have pushed them to if they were infact making the hubs.

Also the I9 spokes are 12guage instead of 14. They are aluminum but are stronger and stiffer than steel spokes. And the wheelset comes with some extra spokes incase you do need to replace one.

The I9 wheels have 120 poins of engagement using a 6 pawl system that engages ever 3 degrees. yes I9 does make everything in house and the wheels come with 4 extra spokes

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Loud? No they are silent. I9 stuff is groovy. A set built up stock comes in at about $800 I do believe.
The Sinister team has few pairs. Once we stopped using DT rims we really got to see just how well this design works. FTW ripped a spoke out of his rear wheel on a tree and Plattekill, and has been riding the rear wheel with 31 spokes for about a month. Still straight and tight. He's using Sun MTX rims.

So far the only failure issues have been with people running the .9mm spokes with either dt 5.1's or Rhyno Lyte XL's. Those rims are just too soft.
I have a set of the light ones coming for mx XC race bike... SO stoked...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
SuspectDevice said:
So far the only failure issues have been with people running the .9mm spokes with either dt 5.1's or Rhyno Lyte XL's. Those rims are just too soft.
yeah, jamie made them go boom. (but what doesent he?)

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
maxyedor said:
As for them having more engagement points than King/Hadley, care to put a number on that claim?
For their intended purpose does it really matter? Going on about engagement points just seems like a pointless pissing contest to me. It's not like there are not plently of other decent hubs with more than enough engagement points.

I've been reading this forum long enough to see many people with hookups rave about a product only to trash it next year when the next big thing arrives. Until normal paying customers have put them through their paces for a while it's best to be sceptical.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
.:Jeenyus:. said:
:stupid:

I9 is a waste of money IMO.
Right. Hadley and I9 both make great products, and I9 is pushing forward the development of wheels. King, though, is a waste of money. Their hub prices are ridiculous.