Quantcast

Gunbarrel Jumps going off

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
This weekend was sick. About 30 people showed up both days for some minor maintenance and some serious sessions. 360's, can cans, one footers, turndowns, lookbacks, whatever you could think of was just about had. Everyone was throwing down and having a good time. The new work put in recently seemed to work out great. Some people were taking pics, but I wasn't one of them. I just managed to get a sick farmer tan. I got main street (aka A-line) running smooth after everyone left today, didn't hit tombstone, but hit the others. Most people were sessioning inside and outside. But some of us still hit the comeback line and spommers, everything running so smooth, mainly thanks to the BMXers. Lots of fun and with the extra hour of light many evening sessions will be had daily by me at least.

Thinking about setting up a jump jam, dig day, to help satisfy everyones needs. Anyone interested let it be known. With enough interest, we might be able to get some tunes a cranking, a water supply and possibly a BBQ & beverages.

Edit: Anyone with pics please post.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Im not sure a jump jam at gunbarrel is a great idea. At the fix or arbor its great, but we share gunbarrel with the other park users, and I think it would be better not to attract too much attention with music, BBQ, ect. All it takes is one bitchy boulder person to complain and next thing you know youre kicked out because your music is scaring the praire dogs or some crap like that.

dream4est

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
fondigley said:
This weekend was sick. About 30 people showed up both days for some minor maintenance and some serious sessions. 360's, can cans, one footers, turndowns, lookbacks, whatever you could think of was just about had. Everyone was throwing down and having a good time. The new work put in recently seemed to work out great. Some people were taking pics, but I wasn't one of them. I just managed to get a sick farmer tan. I got main street (aka A-line) running smooth after everyone left today, didn't hit tombstone, but hit the others. Most people were sessioning inside and outside. But some of us still hit the comeback line and spommers, everything running so smooth, mainly thanks to the BMXers. Lots of fun and with the extra hour of light many evening sessions will be had daily by me at least.

Thinking about setting up a jump jam, dig day, to help satisfy everyones needs. Anyone interested let it be known. With enough interest, we might be able to get some tunes a cranking, a water supply and possibly a BBQ & beverages.

Edit: Anyone with pics please post.
i was there but must have missed you. i left at 2:30 but i swept main street and redid lips 2 and 4 so i hope you enjoyed it. outside line with the new entrance is sweet and the new inside line is amazing. i hit outside all day but the new inside berm entrance had me perplexed. props to matt and friends for rebuilding inside and the comeback line. everyone should head out there for a look and yes all the lips are still mtb friendly (but some are rebuilt by bmxers. i like em. clean smooth lips.) gunbarrel is better than ever.

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
Ok, so maybe a huge fiasco isn't what is needed out there, but people should come out and enjoy the park, cause it is rockin. Recently there has been music playing, but nothing super loud. I here more crap coming from that ghetto apartment complex across the preserve, than we could make with a couple of radios. I am not talking about loud speakers, just some tunes so people can flow. And a BBQ, would just be a polite gesture for those that chip in and keep the park up and running smooth. I mean others could grub too, but it would be mainly for those that work there muscles to build some new **** and maintain the park. You would be suprised, that a lot of people who have nothing to do with bikes, walk over and talk to us when we are riding out there. They seem to like the fact we are there and not getting into other trouble somewhere else. Some may not like it as much, but you can't please everybody. I was talking to a man in his 50's and he was hoping someone was going to hit the new inside line when he was there. He just watched me hit Main street.

And Dream, you know me. We were the first out there on Sunday.

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
TheInedibleHulk said:
Im not sure a jump jam at gunbarrel is a great idea. At the fix or arbor its great, but we share gunbarrel with the other park users, and I think it would be better not to attract too much attention with music, BBQ, ect. All it takes is one bitchy boulder person to complain and next thing you know youre kicked out because your music is scaring the praire dogs or some crap like that.
So it is true, it seems a lot of Boulder people are bitchy, mainly cause they are rich, snobs around here and they get there way, but forget them. Like you said it is public and it is park we all share. Which means, we have as much right as they do to be there. Hey I work at a law firm, what do you expect from me. But glad to see you are sponsored from a shop from a town where I learned to ride a bike. I checked out there website, and I hadn't heard about Loch Raven res. in a long time, about 15 years, I remeber riding mountain bikes there when I was a kid. That is crazy. Yeah I am an older rider, but I will still through myself 20 feet in the air. And as long as we don't drink and do drugs at the park, there should be no problem.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I've never gotten any hassle while riding at GB, in fact like you said Ive had alot of friendly spectators. Just a good idea not to get too high profile, or that person that usually ignores us takes some unwanted interest. I havent been out there much this year as I've become a daily fixture at the fix jumps, but I'll have to come check it out once I'm healed up from the current injury.

I grew up in Catonsville, worked at The Catonsville Bike Shop for five years, and rode for the Petes Cycle team when I raced XC as a junior. I also live right next to Avalon, where I learned how to ride mountain bikes when I was 13. Im a young'un but I know alot of the old schoolers, we might know some of the same people.

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
TheInedibleHulk said:
Im a young'un but I know alot of the old schoolers, we might know some of the same people.
Prolly not, I wasn't too active in Maryland, rode one of the first Specialized Hardrocks, back in 1989-90. Just had a friend that took me there. And I wouldn't even really call it riding compared to what I do now. I didn't get addicted to this sport until college in 1996, when I lived in West Viriginia.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
TheInedibleHulk said:
God damn Elliot is getting UP THERE. I just got out of the cast, 10 more days until I'm officially allowed to ride.

damn, i want to ride, and elliot's pic just makes me want to more. end of may-end of june till i can ride. damn humerous not healed yet i've been jumping a little, just things i've been jumping for years, so i'm not too worried. but if i fall on it and break it again then i'll be screwed all summer.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
flatulant_man said:
damn, i want to ride, and elliot's pic just makes me want to more. end of may-end of june till i can ride. damn humerous not healed yet i've been jumping a little, just things i've been jumping for years, so i'm not too worried. but if i fall on it and break it again then i'll be screwed all summer.
Who is this?

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Good, the :rolleyes: is the universal ridemonkey sign to indicate sarcasm. Plus, the small jumps are still there at gunbarrel, the big ones just got bigger.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
jhusktrials said:
I know where we can go and have a jump jam, bbq, music, good times...

When's that goin down husk? Looks like alot of moisture in the forecast, not so good for riding but good for building as long as your place doesnt get real muddy.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
They will be finishing the road in tomorrow. After that it doens't matter if it's muddy, unless it gets really muddy. I was going to build last Sunday but my dad forgot the key to the tractor:(.

Just let me know when you guys are available. I will be out there most of the weekend. I have to help them move a little... but I will definitely get some digging done.

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
Husk, your spot sounds pimp, but my backyard is the jumps at Eaton Park. So I have been putting in some digging there lately, especially with this weather. But man Gunbarrel is rockin. I do plan to check out your spot, Husk and give a hand.