Quantcast

gunnison dirt jumping?

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
i'm thinking about going to western state university out in gunnison. anyone know about the dirt jump situation in gunnison? being able to ride is very important to me, and i know that during the year crested butte is covered. what's in the area?

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
flatulant_man said:
i'm thinking about going to western state university out in gunnison. anyone know about the dirt jump situation in gunnison? being able to ride is very important to me, and i know that during the year crested butte is covered. what's in the area?

From what I understand it's just XC out in Gunnison/CB, your best bet would be Fort Lewis if you want to ride your bike(DH, DJ, FR, is awesome there) and learn close to nothing in college. :)

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
enjoy freezing your face off and not riding for the majority of the time in school if you go to gunnison.

as suggested, fort lewis probably has a better weather/riding situation than western state.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
my dad has pretty strictly laid it out that the college money my grandparents saved for me will NOT be paid to fort lewis. it has also been laid out that i can't get a job while in high school, so i kind of have to do what my parents tell me to :mumble:

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
flatulant_man said:
my dad has pretty strictly laid it out that the college money my grandparents saved for me will NOT be paid to fort lewis. it has also been laid out that i can't get a job while in high school, so i kind of have to do what my parents tell me to :mumble:
Then stay in town if possible....CU and mines are both terrific schools( you learn real stuff at these, as opposed to fake stuff.), and the riding in Golden kicks major ass, Arbor is 20 minutes away, XC everywhere, urban...you get the idea.

Astrix

Chimp
Mar 8, 2003
Arvada, Colorado
flatulant_man said:
Our Racers Kain Leonard and Ryan Sutton have spent their time founding the Gunnison Valley Freeride Association that is responsible for building an official dirt jump riding area and learning area for all the locals. I have not seen it but it keeps everyone entertained and riding. There are also pleanty of other trails in the area that are for all kinds of riding.

To find out more about Gunnison, you can call Kain at Tomichi Cycles 970-641-9069 for all the details on where to keep on your bike year round -- sometimes with many many layers on for warmth however.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
axlvid23 said:
Then stay in town if possible....CU and mines are both terrific schools( you learn real stuff at these, as opposed to fake stuff.), and the riding in Golden kicks major ass, Arbor is 20 minutes away, XC everywhere, urban...you get the idea.
dad also hates cu. i'm kind of at his mercy for college choices. he wants to turn down every college but csu, because he went there. a) prob cant get in b) dont want to

but i'll look at school of mines

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
there are jumps out there I know somekids that live there and one of my friends went jumping with them, I am not sure how big they are or how good they are thopugh

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Let's see, riding in Gunny - They held a collegiate race there last year and had a pretty decent dh course near town (3 miles or so) in an area called Hartman's Rocks - definately some good potential out there - with some dj's close by.

The dj's were all tables, started out really small, made their way up to small, and progressed to small medium by the end of the set with a neat little hip for the finish. :D

Haha, joking, they we're fun - minus the cold, and the wind, etc... Gunnison is freezing!

If you're looking for engineering, mines is where it's at - and as mentioned, the riding is really, really close and this school is slowly building up quite the dh/fr/dj crowd. Good luck with picking a few bud! (be sure to apply to all of your options, then you have more choices later on)

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Beast said:
they we're fun - minus the cold, and the wind, etc... Gunnison is freezing! ... Good luck with picking a few bud! (be sure to apply to all of your options, then you have more choices later on)
right now i'm only a sophomore doing research, but i wanna know what there is to do where i'm applying. some safety schools are good to have, you're right