Quantcast

Gwin's 2011 TWR Session 88

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
I wish they would have that same paint job on the OE bikes instead of the raw/red look going on for 10'...looks great.

And yes, that dt looks wayyy bigger, but I think it's the huge TREK sticker.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
so, we've seen his playbike, which is supposedly the same (or about the same) as his racebikes, but it sure looks to me like you could make that frame out of carbon and have it look the same/trick.

Also, I would like to add that the "meh" comments crack me up, I love RM. You get the same people b1tching about companies that change their design every year and how they should just find something that works and stick with it, rather then releasing a new bike every 9 months like intense.

Then they turn around and b1tch about companies like trek who have made a bike that rides really really well making minor tweaks to it to make it more crash friendly and less dent prone (pretty much the only complaint I've ever heard about them) for being "meh" and "same ole same ole." Awesome :)

Disclaimer: not slagging either intense or trek, my buddies slopestyle and m6 are some of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden, and I think it's awesome that they put into production what they preach. Likewise, I really like my session, and have no complaints or tweaks that I would like to see trek put through. It just works really well.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Bike looks great, and Trek makes great bikes and they support a great race team, not sure why people get hung up with brand identity.

I wonder how Gwin will do adjusting to Maxxis from Schwalbe. He ran the Muddy Mary a lot and Maxxis doesn't make an equivalent.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

Also, I would like to add that the "meh" comments crack me up, I love RM. You get the same people b1tching about companies that change their design every year and how they should just find something that works and stick with it, rather then releasing a new bike every 9 months like intense.

Good lord, is there a thread that Intense does not get pulled in to??

For the record:
M9 was launched 3 years after the M6.
951 was the SOCOM, we changed the dropouts on the 2011 bike after being on market for 16 months.
Uzzi been the same for 3 years.
SS2 has been out for a season+.
Tracer2 was just launched, TracerVP before it was 3 years ago.
Spider29 launching in a month, its been like 4 years since last one.
Spider launching in a month, its been like 4 years since last one.
Tracer29 launched last summer, not changing.
TazerHT been out for a year.
TazerVP been out for a season.
Carbon...

So, find me the one that was replaced in 9 months?

Carry on with the hate

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I'm sure not only the Athertons know, how to use a black marker. If Gwin is really faster on Schwalbes, I'm sure he can use them (inofficially). In another thread (don't know which one) someone posted that a team is allowed to use an other tire as the sponsor offering if there's an advantage using another one. Gee was riding Maxxis the whole time but is sponsored by conti (I think).

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Good lord, is there a thread that Intense does not get pulled in to??

For the record:
M9 was launched 3 years after the M6.
951 was the SOCOM, we changed the dropouts on the 2011 bike after being on market for 16 months.
Uzzi been the same for 3 years.
SS2 has been out for a season+.
Tracer2 was just launched, TracerVP before it was 3 years ago.
Spider29 launching in a month, its been like 4 years since last one.
Spider launching in a month, its been like 4 years since last one.
Tracer29 launched last summer, not changing.
TazerHT been out for a year.
TazerVP been out for a season.
Carbon...

So, find me the one that was replaced in 9 months?

Carry on with the hate
I think you missed the point of his post. He wasn't bringing "hate" for Intense OR Trek, but for the people who actually DO hate on bike companies for following whatever philosophy/business model.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE

Then they turn around and b1tch about companies like trek who have made a bike that rides really really well making minor tweaks to it to make it more crash friendly and less dent prone (pretty much the only complaint I've ever heard about them) for being "meh" and "same ole same ole." Awesome :)
holy sweet baby jesus who shat in your corn flakes?

peoples arguments for brands releasing new products quickly is that X brand will say its been in development for X long, its going to be sick yada yada yada, frames are produced, there is mass delays, there is durability problems, compatibility problems, just not fvcking working problems. Thats whats wrong with companies and why people get pissed and want companies to take their time. I dont want to spend nearly 3000 dollars, and then have to wait for new fork bumpers, or drop outs because the tire hits the seat tube when compressed, ect.

Trek just doesn't get me excited in my man gems, quality product with out a doubt, and pursuing great innovations such as wind tunnel testing for DH bikes :rofl:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Ya, sorry about that sticks, I was using the easiest example I could think of for people hating on a company for bringing out lots of bikes. I think its great - if you have something that rides cool, differently, better, whatever, make it available to the customers! I personally think its rad that you guys have the facilities to put out new models quickly and efficiently.

I didn't mean to make it such a hate thing, its more of a :weee: that you get the same people complaining about not bringing bikes out fast enough and being "meh" as you get people complaining about releasing products too frequently. I don't think there is anything that will appease them

No hate for intense. If I could have found a new m6 when I bought my session, I'd be riding an m6.

Anyway, back OT, amped to see some racing in a month, and excited to see the level of support trek is putting out for gwin.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, they really made the mainframe uglier. That houndstooth pattern they were using previous was tops. loved it.

I'm totally going to steal the electrical tape idea...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I'm totally going to steal the electrical tape idea...
Yup, just checked to see if it's in stock @ the local home depot..
I got some of this stuff last weekend. The only size they had at the Lowes here was the 1 inch width. I've been told it comes in 3 inch widths so you can cut it to the exact shape you need.

I tried installing it on a pretty curvy stay, and it just didn't bend enough. If you have a large flat stay that's not too curvy, it'll work great. Also, I had to use a heat gun to get the tape to lay flat.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I got some of this stuff last weekend. The only size they had at the Lowes here was the 1 inch width. I've been told it comes in 3 inch widths so you can cut it to the exact shape you need.

I tried installing it on a pretty curvy stay, and it just didn't bend enough. If you have a large flat stay that's not too curvy, it'll work great. Also, I had to use a heat gun to get the tape to lay flat.
any ride time on it? is it quieter then road bar tape? soft velcro?

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand

Been using it for about 6 months seems pretty quiet on my bike, I used velcro for the first few weeks on my DHR and then went to 2228 as I couldn't get velcro to stick to the vertical section of the swingarm near the BB. Its super sticky and molds really well onto pretty much anything including welds.

Was put onto the stuff by the Bryns mechanic last year, only problem is that it's not that easy to get a hold of in NZ. I didn't have any problems applying either, maybe due to it being summer down here and warmer.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Word for the wise. That tape succcckkkkks to remove. Buddy of mine used it some years ago for frame protection but has since moved onto the velcro route since it's significantly easier to work with.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
It holds up very well. A former coworker of mine stumbled across it 2 years ago, and it's been on my bikes since. I just changed a strip that was a full year old. What I like the most, aside from how quiet it is, is how well it holds up to repeated washing/scrubbing. It holds up way better than Velcro, and is equally as quiet.

UC - I've put it on some pretty curvy chainstays. I find it helps to cut the round edges to size before applying, you wont get any ripples or adhereing issues.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Bike looks great, and Trek makes great bikes and they support a great race team, not sure why people get hung up with brand identity.

I wonder how Gwin will do adjusting to Maxxis from Schwalbe. He ran the Muddy Mary a lot and Maxxis doesn't make an equivalent.
Yep, because pros stick with what they know best.

And Gwin knows Schwalbe best.

Clearly his success comes from the tires. How will he ever adjust to using the same Maxxis tires he used in 2008?:panic: