Quantcast

Gyroscopic Balls for Wrist Injurys.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I recently heard about these things called Gyroscopic balls being used for wrist and hand strength and being used to strengthen joints.

Im recovering from a very severe wrist injury and was wondering if anyone had heard or used them.

The site is www.powerballs.ca

Thanks.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
They work great, and definitely strengthen your wrist/forearm area. But I would wait until you are nearing the end of your recovery before using it because it definitely puts a lot of strain on your wrist.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
broke my schapoid 11 months ago, was in a cast for 4 months and then a splint for a while after that. my forearm muscles were very atrophied and it really helped get strength and range of motion, my hand Occupational therapist had me use one so i bought my own and did it at home too. obviously go slow at first, try to work it in every direction.

i had a plate and screws put in my radius a month ago and plan to start using it in a week or so...

Thiago

Chimp
Mar 15, 2004
House
They are safe to use. Don't need to wait till you get better. They will help you get to it.

It's strength is proportional to the force you can imply with your hand, arm, etc. So you should be ok.

Just don't buy the ones which got lights in it. It's got that thing to transform moviment in electric power and it makes the ball just a bit heavier. It doesn't bring any harm either you'll notice this extra weight. But it is enough to make the inside rotor crack with use. I've changed mine twice. Now I'm ordering a rotor without lights!

Cheers!

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks.
Can you explain how its used, are their several different exercises you can do with it to target different muscle groups?

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I bought an NSD Powerball (the model with the electronic rev counter, but no lights) after having a nasty slam on my BMX - I slipped off a grind box that a skater had waxed, suddenly fell 3 foot to flat onto my left hand, which swelled up like a melon along with my forearm)

my wrist and forearm would not heal...6 weeks later I had no grip strength and had sudden shooting pains if I tried to exert any force, I did some research and the gyro balls were getting great reviews

I got the Powerball from a drug store here in London, and started using it all day, as much as possible, got some funny looks whilst using it on the train during my daily commute!

within a week, my wrist and forearm felt strong, within 2 weeks stronger than before the crash

I keep it for when I get an arm related injury, and recently lent it to my 50 year old boss who had a long-term elbow injury from the gym (lifting weights) and after 2 weeks of daily use his injury has gone..

newyork1

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
They really do work. I have a broken wrist that never healed properly and it has been very therapeutic for that, as well as increasing my grip and general forearm endurance for downhill runs.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Don't mind the strange looks you get when "balling" at a red light. Just put your head back and keep at it.

broken bunny

Chimp
Nov 4, 2010
Hi guys-thx for this info. I'm 2 weeks in to a Colles in my radius, no surgery anticipated. Some great stories: anybody have good luck with therapy before the cast comes off? The Doc had nothing to say except-don't fall on it...the back of my hand still hurts like hell but I can move my fingers, lift my arm (it's only a forearm cast)
It sounds like most of you are back in a month with some patience...any suggestions, including recos for wrist guards-much appreciated!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
THe radius heals pretty fast. I broke mine last year. Spent just 3.5 weeks in a cast, and then a bit of rehab and I was good to go. Not like the scaphoid - which I broke this year. 12 weeks in a cast, 5 more in a brace (I'm 2 weeks in on that one). Stupid thing just does not want to heal well.

I am thinking that one of these gyro-balls is a good idea.