Quantcast

H̸͉̺̱̔̀̐̄̎͛ę̶͈̪̏͆̅̕l̶̪̙̍̊̽̈͊̚͝l̶̨̛̤̤͌͛͊͑̂͐̌̆̚o̶̗̭̤̗̱̫̿̄̾̓͑̀̾͠ͅ ̸̛̳͎̜̑̀̉̃̓̂̎̓ĩ̶̩͕̈̈́͛͠t̷͙͎͈́̽̀͆͒͆͆̿͝s̶̥͚͎̩̜̙͖̹͓̔ ̶̢̬̫̓̿Ţ̵̗̙́̏̓̄̃͐̚h̶̹̏̓u̷͖̫͙͚͐́͝ͅr̸̿͠

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hello all

started reading this thread in the morning but got busy: sprinkler guy, appliance repair guy both swung by to do their things, then planning out the rebuild of my commuter bike as a 29er :)

(now WFH this afternoon)

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So far no headache today. :banana:
We will have to see how long that lasts.

Put some new disks and calipers on the car last fall.
Now I have one rear one where the emergency brake won't release and sticks on. :disgust1:
Got a new not re-man'd replacement sitting on the bench.
This may be a good time to change it.

If things go well, a test drive to the trailhead tomorrow may be warranted.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
No idea, honestly. I'm a bit miffed that 29ers seem to have taken over the all mountain segment. Part of my motivation is I feel like I haven't ridden anything that fits well. Height wise, I'm in between a small and a medium. Proportionally my torso is longer than my legs, so even if the top tube fits the seat tube may be too long.

I'd love to find a more modern version of my RFX. Reeb Squeeb looks to be the closest fit, but 29. Boo. There's an older model for sale locally that's semi-tempting.
Canfield Balance.

I say this as a fellow long-torso’d former RFX owner (ed: Balance is a 27.5" btw). Older one with external cable routing should be found cheapish if you look. Sometimes I think of picking one up to have a spare frame for the future.

Best bike I have ever had, bar none. Handles better than my newer model Canfield Tilt longer-range trail bike.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Canfield Balance.

I say this as a fellow long-torso’d former RFX owner. Older one with external cable routing should be found cheapish if you look. Sometimes I think of picking one up to have a spare frame for the future.

Best bike I have ever had, bar none. Handles better than my newer model Canfield Tilt longer-range trail bike.
I think you can get a small at Cambria. But L is probably going to be tough. I saw a mint one being worked at in a shop in Flagstaff a few months back.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oddly I've seen a bunch of used larges around lately. There's a facebook Canfield owner's group so it's probably posts there where that passes through my consciousness window then into the memory hole...

ed: Like this one

1717126425841.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oddly I've seen a bunch of used larges around lately. There's a facebook Canfield owner's group so it's probably posts there where that passes through my consciousness window then into the memory hole...

ed: Like this one

View attachment 212608
Oh, I see you were talking about the Balance, not the RFX.

I do like my new-school Balance. It's decent. I'm aware there's an "old version" too. I have seen a few of those for sale.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, I see you were talking about the Balance, not the RFX.

I do like my new-school Balance. It's decent. I'm aware there's an "old version" too. I have seen a few of those for sale.
I had an old-school Balance I got from STiHacka and then got the 2020 edition...big improvement over the already fantastic bike. But since 2020 it's only had minor tweaks. I think mine was the last year (or close to it?) with external cable routing. That's the only thing on the new bikes I don't like...I know internal cables are inevitable on all bikes, but I'm not much enamored of them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had an old-school Balance I got from STiHacka and then got the 2020 edition...big improvement over the already fantastic bike. But since 2020 it's only had minor tweaks. I think mine was the last year (or close to it?) with external cable routing. That's the only thing on the new bikes I don't like...I know internal cables are inevitable on all bikes, but I'm not much enamored of them.

*caresses his exposed cables*

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
No idea, honestly. I'm a bit miffed that 29ers seem to have taken over the all mountain segment. Part of my motivation is I feel like I haven't ridden anything that fits well. Height wise, I'm in between a small and a medium. Proportionally my torso is longer than my legs, so even if the top tube fits the seat tube may be too long.

I'd love to find a more modern version of my RFX. Reeb Squeeb looks to be the closest fit, but 29. Boo. There's an older model for sale locally that's semi-tempting.
Transition Scout?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
That's on the short list yup. Might have to find a Transition dealer and give it a spin.

I'd have 0 qualms going back to an alloy frame, nor do I care if it has optimized anti-squat.
It's a fun little bike. You can run it as a trail bike (140-150) or mini Enduro (150-160). Dealing with Transition is always smooth.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's on the short list yup. Might have to find a Transition dealer and give it a spin.

I'd have 0 qualms going back to an alloy frame, nor do I care if it has optimized anti-squat.
Just a reminder that a mullet bike can be easily made into a full 27.5 bike with some over-forking or just a spacer under the head set.

That being said I too was resistant to going full 29er and in the end I don't think the difference was worth the concern. I can setup my hardtail with whatever wheel combo I want, tested small wheels, large wheels, and mixed back to back. My conclusions were basically that a larger front wheel does roll better, the added inertia with slacker head angles actually helps with turn-in but is more stable mid corner. Smaller rear wheel does feel more agile but the difference is small enough that mid ride once I get used to it I don't really care.

My current ride can run both size rear wheels and I can get a little more travel with the 27.5" so I just swap them around depending on the riding I am doing.

IMO wheelbase and geometry are the things you should really be concerned with.