Quantcast

had a chat with the SC rangers

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi
I found out that they are intentionally pretty lax because of the lack of signage that lets riders know that it is not permitted. They also informed us not to be suprised to find them out there one weekend day and giving out tickets like candy...s*** candy. I personally love those trails and would hate to see them go to this extent in preventing riding. I am sure that it is being worked out by some group in SC to get them opened, but to no avail. How can we get some more progressive action taken to prevent mass ticketing. I heard something like there is a bike company that makes bikes called santa cruz...I may even own one. What are they doing to help and why haven't I heard. Whatever it takes I am down.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Maybe because the trails are essentially legal because there is rarely enforcement besides a few heavy crackdowns. I've always known they were illegal, I just never cared because rangers are barely ever out there.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've thought a little bit about this as well. While I would be down to organize something, like seige, I'm in Monterey instead of sc and it would make sense for someone a little more local to try and get stuff going.

Going and doing the politcal thing can be nothing short of painful, but there are so many people who ride those trails, and much more of a regular basis than I do (~ once a month) that it seems weird there's not an existing group I can go help out with.

One other question, how many people shuttle that area vs. push/ride to the top? It seems like the locals aren't too friendly toward shuttling...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I've been thinking the same thing, but I'm on the other side of the hill in Silicon Valley. It's a minimum 45 minutes drive just to get there...

Despite that, I'm there at least every other weekend.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
hey guys - let's try to keep this place on the DL a little more. From a cursory glance at this forum, I'm seeing 1000 or so Views of ucsc-related postings. The trails have been there for years... except 3 years ago, there weren't constant discussions of them all over the internet.

-rob