Quantcast

Had a minor car accident

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
I was on my way to work Monday night at 10 pm.
Sitting at a red light, it turns green and I start going, suddenly I see a car not slowing down from the right on a 55 mph road. I hit the brakes but it was to late. I kissed the rear quarter panel of his car and spun him out. It was his first accident and he was very shaken up, so I let him make a phone call to his mother and kept him calm so shock wouldn't set in. Both of us walked away without injury and that is all that really matters.

It is quite strange that things like this get you to think about what is really important in life. Health, friends and stuff like that. Material things can be replaced or fixed.

My car was still driveable, his saturn was flatbedded out.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Glad you're ok - riding a bicycle does the same thing for you. I'm good at timing the lights so that I can sprint the second it turns green, but damn, your side vision and reflexes have to be tip top.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
SkaredShtles said:
After he calmed down you should've given him a good reaming. Nothing sticks with somebody like an accident followed by a good upbraiding. You'd have done him a favor. :thumb:

-S.S.-
He didn't need any more stress. Hell he was just about in tears for a good 20 minutes straight.

No worries about who caused the accident:
1. he got the ticket for going thru the red light.
2. eye witness that actually called the police was a wife of a police sgt.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
glad to hear both parties involved were unhurt- maybe you'll get a really great insurance settlement and you can get the vehicle fixed and have some extra spending cabbage for bikey stuff. :)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Glad to see everyone's ok.

I had the exact same thing happen to me, only it was on a 30mph street. If it had been 55, my guy might have made it before I nailed him! The guy who ran the light was on his way to pick up some inner city kids to take them to church. Really nice guy who was super apologetic. Confessed to running the light in front of both me and the cop. That made the insurance process go very smoothly.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
MMcG said:
glad to hear both parties involved were unhurt- maybe you'll get a really great insurance settlement and you can get the vehicle fixed and have some extra spending cabbage for bikey stuff. :)
Nope, don't even want to think about that. All I want is the truck back in same condition and rental coverage.

Besides I have had more than my share of bike stuff :rolleyes:

pixelninja- same with the confession here.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Everything is all set!

1. truck is in the shop
2. rental car is a honda accord
3. estimate = $2,800 so far, but they need to take it apart to be sure there is no hidden damage.

off to bed for a bit.........

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Instigator said:
Everything is all set!

1. truck is in the shop
2. rental car is a honda accord
3. estimate = $2,800 so far, but they need to take it apart to be sure there is no hidden damage.

off to bed for a bit.........
Nice :thumb: Glad to hear that everything is working out ok. So, you gotta bike rack for that accord :blah: You're not hurt so you should still be in training ;)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My brother was happy with the end result of getting hit buy/him broadsiding a pick up on his road bike last year. He got a Colnago out of it.

greasey monkey

bow down
Mar 11, 2004
victor NY
TreeSaw said:
Nice :thumb: Glad to hear that everything is working out ok. So, you gotta bike rack for that accord :blah: You're not hurt so you should still be in training ;)

yeah get training you slacker :D :D :D

Glad to hear everything is working out.

Were did you take the truck to get it fixed?

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
greasey monkey said:
yeah get training you slacker :D :D :D

Glad to hear everything is working out.

Were did you take the truck to get it fixed?
Truck is at Sofia. They really seem to have there act together there.

As for you and Treesaw, me and Matty had a lunchtime ride today........Urban :devil: