Quantcast

Hadley Hub tech help!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
OK, I just got a Hadley wheelset, and all the tools were included...awesome deal.

However, I'm at work now, and leaving for Utah right after, and the toolkit is at home (I brought bare essentials along). Now I've noticed my front hub is loose! Having never adjusted these hubs before, can someone:

1) explain to me what I need to do to adjust them (not that a front hub should be too hard to decipher, but I appreciate a little advance knowledge)

and

2) help me with improvising the tools I need to do it, because the proper ones are way far away right now.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
:o:

Boy is my face red...
Hm, from the X-ray, I was guessing it was more of a two-tone yellow/yellow-brown combination...

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And since I can't call them until much later this afternoon, does anyone have any real advice?

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
MikeD said:
And since I can't call them until much later this afternoon, does anyone have any real advice?
You can use the red Park tools pin spanner. I'll get the number later, it starts with spa-something.

The pins are the same size as the holes in the Hadley bearing adjusters. The looseness could be the bearing adjuster, or the axle. If you need cone wrenches, you can get a Park tool the appropriate size as well.

Sorry I don't know the sizes offhand, I'll check when I'm in the shop if you still need the info.

Brian

www.therapycomponents.com

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Great; thanks! I think BMXman has the pin spanner in his toolbox, and he'll be coming along. He might even have the hadley tools.

Any advice on what to look for/how to tighten it? I'm familiar with cup-and-cone hubs and Hope cart bearing hubs, just never messed with a Hadley before. Again, I imagine it's pretty apparent once you take the thing apart...but I like to be certain.

MD

SMF

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Socal
You should just be able to remove the wheel and hand tighten the two rings. I've had the same problem and my LBS informed me of this fix. Seems to work, I haven't had to tighten the front hub in a few months. Good luck.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
see you had gotten a 20mm Chirs King hub instead - this entire thread could of been avoided!! ;) Jokes aside...Hadley's are kick ass!! as a matter of fact..I own two front Hadley hubs (one on my trail bike with a tullio Psylo and one on my jump bike) and NEVER had to adjust them once!! Although this pas weekend I had had rebuild the rear one on my trail bike – but that is another great thing about them, they are super easy to service.

I have a front CK on my DH and that is also problem free and mega easy to adjust – all you need is one allen key and your fingers! ;)

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
I just breezed this thread but maybe this will help.

Originally posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
For just some general maintenance you will need two tools. A spanner wrench (red) for the cassette side of the hub and the right size cone wrench for the disc size of the hub. The disc side of the hub comes in two sizes a smaller one for older Hadley hubs and a larger one for new hubs. I can't remember the exact sizes and have no way of checking because I'm still working from home due to some injuries last week. Hadley also makes these tools for their hub and they work beautifully, but the job can be done with care by the standard bike tools I listed above.

1. Remove the cassette and the disc. You don't absolutely have to, but it makes things easier and will keep lube off your disc.
2. Use the two tools to break the treads free on the two end caps. (Lefty Loosy)
3. Once the threads have been loosened you can finish removing the end cap (usually the cassette side).
4. Turn the hub so it is standing on the disc side and pull that end cap and the axle out of the bottom of the hub (disc side).
5. Gently pull upwards on the cassette body and it will pull free of the hub body. You can now see the paws that engage your hub. From this point you can also remove the needle bearings in the cassette body. Play close attention to the direction of the seals and bearings.
6. Wipe down all the parts as clean as you can and check for any wear or cracks. In most cases the hub just needs some fresh lube.
7. I use a little light grease on the axle and bearings faces.
8. Slide the axle back through the disc side so it is coming through the cassette side hub bearings.
9. Reassemble the needle bearings and cassette body. While doing this coat the needle bearings with machine oil (not grease). Machine oil is a light oil also referred to as sewing machine oil.
9. With the hub facing up (cassette side) fill the ratchet area with machine oil.
10. Slide the cassette body back onto the axle and into the ratchet ring. Extra oil will ooze out.
11. Install the end cap and tighten snuggly, but not so much as to cause much drag.

For the next few rides extra oil will continue to ooze out and attract dirt. Clean this after each ride until it ceases.

Again, I’m writing this from home and from memory, but it should be really close. Always take your time and don’t force things.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87494&page=1&pp=15