Quantcast

Hadley hub width snafu

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I have a Hadley/729 wheel that I got built up by the go-ride crew for a stab supreme w/ floating brake. I let them do the calculations on hub width and ended up with a hadley that says 137 in sharpie on the box. Do they really have a 137 or is this just a 135? Will it work in 135 dropouts or am I risking too tight of a fit that might compress the bearings too much?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Gotcha. I don't have a definitive answer, but here's a couple of guesses:oink:
The hub probably uses a different shell than the 135mm version. And wouldn't the dish be off if you put it in a 135mm frame?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
sayndesyn said:
I have a Hadley/729 wheel that I got built up by the go-ride crew for a stab supreme w/ floating brake. I let them do the calculations on hub width and ended up with a hadley that says 137 in sharpie on the box. Do they really have a 137 or is this just a 135? Will it work in 135 dropouts or am I risking too tight of a fit that might compress the bearings too much?
What did Go-Ride say, you asked them first right?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Dogboy said:
Gotcha. I don't have a definitive answer, but here's a couple of guesses:oink:
The hub probably uses a different shell than the 135mm version. And wouldn't the dish be off if you put it in a 135mm frame?
it is much easier to make the drop-out spacer 2mm wider, and modding the spacers is whats done for floater kits. They are not going to invest in a new shell for such a minor change.

I wouldnt worry about this, frames can have poor tolerances in this respect anyways.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Cool beans. Is the actual body of a 150 hub wider than a 135 or is it just the axle sleave and spacers? not sure what the correct term for "axle sleave" is. I'm guessing 15mm is a bit much to make up with spacers. Looks like I will be selling the wheel because my new frame is 150... Or anyone have a newish 150mm dh wheel of similiar value that they want to trade?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You have the 137mm floating brake version. It is a 150mm spacing hub, that is just lopped off on the floater side.

The 223/224, chumba wumba and a few others use the same hub. Is the same hub i am currently attempting to get apart to convert to regular 150 for my new floater-less 224

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
yeah, think about it.....it's only 1mm per side which equates to the paint......dh frames don't carry tolerances so tight that having an interference fit like that would cause any sort of problems......just toss it in there....

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
You don't need to sell it. You can order the full length 150x12mm axle sleeve from Hadley and swap it in. The axle you have (137.5mm) needs a floater that's 12.5mm wide to make up the 150 space. Your current setup fits older V-10's, Rotec RL9's, or any 150 spaced bike that has a Brake Therapy floater.

In its current setup, it will not work in a 135 frame.

dr.harmonica

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Oslo, Norway
sayndesyn said:
I ride a Ventana ElCuervo with Hadley hubs. The spacing is 150mm but I run a floating caliper. The body of the Hadley hub is a 150mm hub body. But the axel is 137,5 to accomodate the floating caliper. The axel is chopped of at the disc brake side. (I can easily retro fit a 150mm axel and put the rear wheel on a different bike)

Guess it is the same thing with yours.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Friggin sweet. I'm taking the wheel off the market!

Zoso said:
You don't need to sell it. You can order the full length 150x12mm axle sleeve from Hadley and swap it in. The axle you have (137.5mm) needs a floater that's 12.5mm wide to make up the 150 space. Your current setup fits older V-10's, Rotec RL9's, or any 150 spaced bike that has a Brake Therapy floater.

In its current setup, it will not work in a 135 frame.