Quantcast

Hadley hubs - noisy or quiet?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Simple question. Hadley rear hubs. Are they supposed to be noisy or quiet? I've got one here which is as loud as a King hub, though a deeper, more chainsaw kind of noise. Is that right? Or does that mean it's maintenance time?

Noone ever seems to bitch about noisy Hadley hubs the way they make a stink about the King buzzzzz....

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
just because they are noisy doesnt make it right. yes they are more noisy than other hubs but they still need to be maintained. after they are overhauled they are still louder than others but should also have a dead or muffled sound to it. if the click or clack is very crisp and clear they need to be serviced. that is true for all hubs. DT hugi, ringle, hadley ..........

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
King hubs sound like a swarm of angry bees is following you while you ride. Ringle and Hadley hubs, once you get them up to speed, tend to sound like a revving rice rocket engine.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Hm. I'm definitely into 'clacking' land. Maybe it's time to learn how to maintain this hub.

Anyone want to do a talk-through on lubing a Hadley rear hub?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
The front hub shouldn't make noise :)

The rear hub is simple to tear down and lube. I have a 12mm axle but I think the QR is the same.
Remove cassette
Pin spanner and cone wrench, unscrew drive side.
Slide axle out of non drive side.
Hold wheel drive side up pull off free hub body
careful of the rollers in the hub.
clean everything then lube with Phil tenacious oil.
I can't remember for sure but I think there is a lip seal on both sides.
reassemble
The hub will sound better. Mine had one pawl that was sticking down but the cleaning and lube fixed it.

BalleRacing

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Colorado Springs CO USA
The Hadley wrench set is nice, but I am out of them because Hadley is coming up with new wrench sets with cases and they have been out of stock for awhile. You can use a cone wrench and pin spanner wrench like the other guy said but make sure you get a pin spanner that fits good. A bike shop may have them or a industrial tool supply shop.
Erik,
Balle Racing
www.balleracing.com

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
I'm gonna keep asking dumb questions till someone shuts me up.

I assume the cone wrench goes on the flats on the non-drive side. Anyone know what size that is? Looks like, er, 19mm?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
kidwoo said:
I threw grease instead of lubricating oil on my pawls last time I had the wheel off just out of curiosity. It's much quieter now. Going to require a more involved cleaning next time probably though.
:nope: grease is bad in Hadley hubs...I called the once and asked about that. They said "NO GREASE" and they sent me a bottle of their special teflon based oil...

my rear hub makes noise, but I can't hear it when I ride - all I hear is rocks bashing my wheels and downtube! :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Acadian said:
:nope: grease is bad in Hadley hubs...I called the once and asked about that. They said "NO GREASE" and they sent me a bottle of their special teflon based oil...

my rear hub makes noise, but I can't hear it when I ride - all I hear is rocks bashing my wheels and downtube! :)
Yeah I know. That oil leaks out of my hub after a full day of riding anyway. I figured grease is better than minimal amounts of oil residue which is what it had been running on.

It's still just grease and steel. Works for every other hub. As long as I clean it out every once in a while it's not like it's going to spontaneously combust..........or is it?.............
:sneaky: