Quantcast

Hadley Hubs?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Anybody have any experience with them? 108pt engagement? I'm trying to save some dough. I want king hubs for my 24" wheelset, but don't think that's gonna happen. Here's the wheel build, whadaya think?

Hadley DH 20mm Disc Front Hub 36 Hole Black
Sun Doublewide Rims Black
Hadley Disc Rear Hub 36 Hole Black 108 point Engagement
DT Swiss Champion Spokes 2.0mm Silver
Brass Nipples Silver 12mm
Hadley Hub Axle Converter Rear to 10mm Thru

$623.30

I know everyone was barking arrow rims, but they don't exist. go-ride doesn't have them, everybody is OUT. Guess Arrow doesn't want to sell rims. Oh well.

Knuck

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Hadley hubs are great. I used them on my DH and trail bike.

Super solid, bomb proof, easy to service and great CS standing behind their products.

can't really go wrong with Hadley Racing IMO. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Doublewides = :dead:

They're incredibly soft material and flat spot very easily. I'm not sure I've ever even heard of someone who had a Doublewide that was more than a month or so old without huge flatspots in it.

You're really going to save money going to Hadley hubs? Isn't the price pretty similar?

If you actually want to save some real money, go with some Hope Bulb hubs.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Welp, theres 3 companies that make 24" rims
Arrow
Atom Labs
Sun

You cats all say atom labs suck so I'm trying my best to stay away from them. Even Chris at go-ride and mike at universal say they aren't that bad, but Ima gonna trust the monkeys instead. So Sun rims suck too? JHFC, I can't win. Keep in mind, I'm 33 years old. I'm not hardcore like you guys. My balls grew wings and took a one way flight a long time ago :D

Kevin

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
damn, I have 3 or 4 24" rims sitting here. Doublewides, atomlab etc. I will let ya have the whole bunch for $25 if you want them that bad!

Also, the atomlab rims are NOT that bad. Especially the 24" ones. Iw oudl take one of these over a doublewide any day of the week.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
binary visions said:
Doublewides = :dead:

They're incredibly soft material and flat spot very easily. I'm not sure I've ever even heard of someone who had a Doublewide that was more than a month or so old without huge flatspots in it.

You're really going to save money going to Hadley hubs? Isn't the price pretty similar?

If you actually want to save some real money, go with some Hope Bulb hubs.
Yes, the price is similar. However king hubs are pissin me off. They got 987 versions of the same hub. Heavy duty, I guess hd axle? Fun bolts? Stainless steel cassette body? ALL_EXTRA $$$$$
So in essance the hub itself is like $280, but after the fun bolts and the freehub body, your looking at $350 for just the rear hub. WTF?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Knuck:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=15913&cat=260&brand=49

That's everything you want, plus ten bucks or whatever the funbolts themselves cost. The "Heavy Duty" hub includes the funbolt ready axle, and stainless steel driveshell.

But the Hadleys are good too, don't let me dissuade you, I was just curious if the cost difference was actually significant enough to not go with the hubs you had your heart set on.

Sun rims don't suck at all, just the Doublewides :D

Can't you get the Sun Mag30 in 24"? I don't have any first hand experience but I was under the impression that the Mag30 was pretty much as indestructible as it gets (very similar to the Arrows)...

J

JRB

Hope Bulbs will save you some good dough.

Do single track 24s suck too? I don't know since I am an XC weenie.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
$190 for the rear Hope Bulb... They sell a bolt-on conversion too. Ti freebody. The front hub is $100, convertable between QR and 20mm...

It's a pretty solid deal if you ask me. All cartridge bearings.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I have a 20mm hope bulb laced to a singletrack on my cheeta - light hub and blinging red ano too! :)

Is $190 for a rear hub a good bang for the buck price? What would be the next best step down from a Hope Bulb in your estimation?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The DT Swiss Onyx hubs have held up well on my buddy's bike. They can be had for $120, but no cartridge bearings or Ti freebody, plus the engagement is half as fast as the Hope.

Frankly, the best bang-for-the-buck can be had with Shimano XT disc hubs. An even $50 gets you a reliable, easily rebuildable hub. They are boat anchors though, and have pretty slow engagement, but you can buy almost four of 'em for the price of one Bulb.

The next step up from Hope Bulbs starts to be things like Hadley and Chris King... Very pricey.

J

JRB

Knuckleslammer said:
What type of engagement mechanism does the Hope hubs use? I know the hadley's have a 108 point system, but how many pawls do they use?
Knuck

Hope has 3 pawl. They are nice and grabby. I don't know how many teeth, but will see what I can find. Super easy maintenance. I have changed bearings and lost a pawl. Called and had new ones in 3 days for $9 for pawls and springs. Cool customer support. They don't care if the dealers sell cheap like King gets all bent about and they will sell direct. It is at retail, but they do sell direct.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Knuckleslammer said:
What type of engagement mechanism does the Hope hubs use? I know the hadley's have a 108 point system, but how many pawls do they use?
Knuck
I don't remember but I want to say the Bulbs have 2 pawls. Can be converted to 10mm bolt on or 12mm T.A.

Bulbs have 10 degrees between engagements (36 points) - for reference, the 108 pt. Hadley has 3.3 degrees between engagements, and the CK has 5 degrees (72 "points", though the engagement mechanism is different). Shimano has 20 degrees between engagements.

edit: ignore my comment about the pawls, loco has you covered there. Everything else in my post is true though :D

J

JRB

36 points sounds right, but I am sure about 3 pawls. I can pull the cassette body tonight and count them. Like I said, they are plenty fast.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco-gringo said:
36 points sounds right, but I am sure about 3 pawls. I can pull the cassette body tonight and count them. Like I said, they are plenty fast.
I'm sure you're right about the pawls. I know I'm right about the engagements. We should go into business together :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
binary - I have XT disc hubs on my Belair and yep they are boat anchors, but they've held up great, but with the Z1FR on that bike now it's inching up their in the weight department and I've also noticed that my rear hub isn't as "smooth" as it was several months ago.

I am sort of slowly contemplating getting a red Hope bulb rear hub and building up a whole new trail bike wheelset based on that hub combination.......but that could be a ways off now.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
binary visions said:
Can't you get the Sun Mag30 in 24"? I don't have any first hand experience but I was under the impression that the Mag30 was pretty much as indestructible as it gets (very similar to the Arrows)...
Yup, very tough indeed. I couldn't kill one despite my best efforts.
They are also tough to mount tires to :eviltongu

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Zark said:
Yup, very tough indeed. I couldn't kill one despite my best efforts.
They are also tough to mount tires to :eviltongu
...as are all Sun rims :D

It's an excercise in knuckle-destruction trying to get my Michelins off my Rhyno Lites...

J

JRB

binary visions said:
I'm sure you're right about the pawls. I know I'm right about the engagements. We should go into business together :D
I'm game. I am starting to hate my job.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've had both hadley and hope hubs. no complaints from either. the mag30 is a heavy rim, but pretty much indestructible. i've got a set on my imp which have seen their share of 90 corner landings w/ no issues.

mr.terrible

Chimp
Aug 24, 2004
Finland
MMcG said:
I have a 20mm hope bulb laced to a singletrack on my cheeta - light hub and blinging red ano too! :)

Is $190 for a rear hub a good bang for the buck price? What would be the next best step down from a Hope Bulb in your estimation?
Hope also has the XC hubs on their lineup. Don't be foolled by the name, they are actually pretty tough units. I think an XC on the rear is your best bet, if you don't need an 150mm/12mm-axle. The Bulb is a very good hub too. I have one on my Dh-bike and it has served me really well.

http://www.hopetech.com/products/dis_02.htm