Quantcast

Hadley tech??

gwat

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Fernie, BC, Canada
Looking for info on overhauling a Hadley rear hub. Or at least an exploded view? Any tips on ghetto tool setups for those of us without the specific Hadley tools?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
its pretty simple. i am sure you know how to open it right? it prolly one side with two flat surfaces for a wrench, its really thin, you can use two 4mm allen keys and stuff it in a vice. the other side can be opened with a two prong tool(dono what its really called)
then here is how the whole thing goes together. first its end cap, with seal, which screws into the main shaft, the on the other side there will be the needle bearing inner race, needle beaing, spacer and the its the other end cap and seal on the other side of the hub.
there are two sealed bearings in the hub body, with a spacer in between it, not that you have to fiddle with that. and between the spacer on the shaft and the end cap on the drive side, there is another bearing, which sits inside the freehub body.
all the oil is in the freehub body, on the prawls, needle bearing and cart beaing. clean those things up and put new oil in. be sure when you isert the freehub body back in, you rotate it so that the ratches dont destroy the seal.
i hope i make any sence at all to you. there is a exploded diagram which should come with your hadley hub. but dont worry about taking apart, nothing comes flying out. good luck, i heart hadley hubs. :)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I've got a few as well, they're updating their stuff but I should be getting thir new pdfs hopefully soon.

As DH Kid said though its pretty easy to do. When i took mine apart i contemplated taking some pictures but forgot to.

Basically you need a 22mm wrench (or modified one) and
park tool (although not necessary it makes it easier):

Park SPA-6

Right click and select save as:
Front PDF

Rear Exploded

Rear Exploded 2

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Does anyone have the Hadley tools in stock anywhere?

Last I talked to Hadley they were out of stock....

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Does anyone have the Hadley tools in stock anywhere?

Last I talked to Hadley they were out of stock....
Ha...I have been trying to get a full set of tools from them since January. They keep saying that they are too buisy making hubs to be able to set up to cut some tools. A little ironic that they are selling more and more hubs yet no one can get ahold of the tools to service them. I love the hubs but they NEED to get a little more organized.

peachy

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
vancouver,bc
just to be clear... those PDFs are not exploded views, they are cross section views.

i machined my own wrenches from 7000 aluminum... i figured u could just modify (grind/file) some park tools wrenches as well.

jvnixon: how did u get a hold of these? original PDFs.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Yea I ment to tell him they were not exploded views but cross section views (figured they'd help someone) but I blanked when posting it as I was doing some other stuff as well.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
followed Sicklines easy how-to on rebuilding my rear hub. thankfully the hub is very easy to do and no special tools are needed.

i used a 23mm socket and extension to knock out the hub shell 6804 sized bearings. there is a inner sleeve in b/w the two bearings that will come out when you push the bearings out via the drive side towards the non-drive side. i used a 20mm fork axle to hold the sleeve in place when pressing the new non-drive side bearing in. the fork axle works perfect for this :thumb:

Hadley was nice enough to include a 21mm wrench and 4pin spanner wrench (though a Park 2-pin spanner works too) at no charge. i of course had a older version of their hub (only 4-5 years old, "R5.0") and needed to get a new axle since they changed their thread pitch. thankfully the axle was super cheap and i needed a new one anyway.
the only bearing that didnt need to be replaced was the one in the freehub shell.
the whole rebuild only took about 30 total minutes.