Quantcast

Haedo second; content with Vuelta and season

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Saxo Bank’s Juan José Haedo (Specialized bikes) sprinted to second place in Thursday’s 148.9km 18th stage from Valladolid to Salamanca.</p><p>
*</p><p>
The result was Haedo’s best in a grand tour since racing in Europe for five seasons and underscored a solid season for the Argentine fastman. Mark Cavendish came across the line first and Vincenzo Nibali retained the leader’s jersey as there were no major shakeups in the overall standings.</p><p>
*</p><p>
“I am happy with how this Vuelta has gone. It’s been very hard in this Vuelta. The first week with the heat and with the real climbs, but it’s all about surviving. My shape is getting better and better,” Haedo said. “I am hoping to get a little help from Fabian (Cancellara) in the sprints. He’s thinking about the worlds, so it’s hard to get some help from him, but he will help me in the final week.”</p><p>
*</p><p>
Haedo has enjoyed a solid season with Saxo Bank, popping for his first ProTour victory with a stage at the Critérium du Dauphiné and with the semi-classic Rund um Koln in May.</p><p>
*</p><p>
“It’s been a good season. I cannot complain. I’ve had some wins and many second places, so that means I am up there,” he continued. “I hope to be able to keep it up and finish it off strong.”</p><p>
*</p><p>
Haedo will head to the worlds for his native Argentina, where he knows he will line up as an outsider.</p><p>
*</p><p>
“I won’t say it’s a sprinter-friendly course. I saw a video and it’s not as easy as people say. And at 260km, it’s a lot harder than 180km, 190km,” Haedo said. “I will go and do my best, whether of it’s in the front group or the back group.”</p><p>
*</p><p>
Haedo, 29, continues next season with Saxo Bank in the final year of his two-year contract with the team.</p>

More...