Quantcast

Hairy Gary Howitzer steel DH bike ?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
http://www.hairygary.com/howitzer.html

Anyone have any knowledge of these frames / bikes ? I don't know much about steel vs. alum. for frame material. A local rider didn't know why more DH frames wern't constructed of steel. He thought alum. had to be way overbuilt to hand heavy DH . I am looking @ a used Howitzer for general DH and just wondered if anyone had any info. or thoughts on the frame / bike ? Thanx

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
looks pretty cool dont know how it would ride though. seems like a reasonable weight for a steel bike.

rainbow_smoke

Monkey
Sep 19, 2003
Bellingham, WA
they look kinda interesting, i have seen one that looked good, the other was super long and like a 67-68 degree headangle with a shiver!! they were custom made so watch the angles.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Um, a fillet brazed DH bike? How 'bout no. If it was TIG welded I'd be way more into it. The frame looks good other than the fact it's fillet brazed, though.

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Bicyclist said:
Um, a fillet brazed DH bike? How 'bout no. If it was TIG welded I'd be way more into it. The frame looks good other than the fact it's fillet brazed, though.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

I guess I could always lay a pass of low hydrogen 7018 rod to strengthen it up, since it's steel :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just looked at the .50 Cal and the brazing on the HT is fugly. I definately wouldn't ride one for serious DH.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
And what's up w/ the shock mount? Looks decent but I wouldn't ride it over other things at a similar price.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
keen said:
A local rider didn't know why more DH frames wern't constructed of steel. He thought alum. had to be way overbuilt to hand heavy DH .
except 'way overbuilt' still comes out lighter than a steel bike. I dont know why they think a clamp-on shock mount is a good idea....ugly bikes that arent very well thought out IMO, terrible shock positioning...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Falling rate suspension usually feels real plush...

Untill you bottom it out and figure out you need to be running a much higher spring rate, which makes the initial travel feel like crap.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i rode one a few years back... like 2 or so. it rode really well despite the weight. it was pretty solid, and plush.