Quantcast

Halo Combats

V

Vermont

Hi all... i am looking at getting a Halo Combat front wheel for free ride use...they are 33mm wide, 36 spoke and heavy..lol. Anyone have experience with these wheels from England?

Attachments

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Vermont said:
Hi all... i am looking at getting a Halo Combat front wheel for free ride use...they are 33mm wide, 36 spoke and heavy..lol. Anyone have experience with these wheels from England?
I can't remember which ones I have they are Disk wheels (some come with ground down for V's)

I use them as my bashing set for my XC HT (Spec Hardrock Pro)....but I am fat so any SH wheels set would suffice.

Are they any heavier than th eold 321's or Mag 30'S Don't seem like it.

I know other guys that have had them and race on them...with no reliability problems.

V

Vermont

nobody else has heard of these wheels???...website says "most popular wheels in Britan"...LOL

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i had a set of the rims. i hand biult them with dt spoke and good hubs. i rode them for like 2-3 months. doing things like urban and fr riding keeping things under 5'. the rims got flat spots, dents in the side walls and never stayed true.

their hubs might be ok but their rims suck like no tomorrow. i will never consider their rims again.

btw every other wheel that i have biult has lasted 3 times as lond under much more abuse!!

i hope this helps

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Vermont said:
I think for the front wheel it will be fine, just get the one that is not set up for V-brakes, (unless you don't run disks) When I first got mine (the v-brake version) I loved it, it seemed to be a very sturdy wheel (by the way I only have the rear wheel), then I cased pretty damn hard DJ'n, and I put a pretty big flat spot in it! and I have also dented the side walls a bit (cause' they are ground down for v-brakes) I still run the rim, so the dents and flat spots aren't that bad, but I have only had the wheel for 4 or 5 months! I would reccommend Arrow freeride rims, they are lighter, and I have seen a buddy of my case some Huge dirt jumps, and the rim has no damage, honestly, the arrow has held up in situations when 99% of other rims would not! they are strong as hell! go with those...... And for all you Mavic lovers out there, I saw someone else case the same jump as my buddy did, and his D521 cracked in two places, and broke 3 spokes, the rim was done, Arrows are better!

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
scurban said:
And for all you Mavic lovers out there, I saw someone else case the same jump as my buddy did, and his D521 cracked in two places, and broke 3 spokes, the rim was done, Arrows are better!

ANY rim will fail if the wheel was not built or maintained properly.

Jun 11, 2002
UK
Personnally I don't like them, the have pretty weak sidewalls however well the wheel can be built and they dent really easy. There are better rims out there for the money, like the d521s. But their hubs aren't bad at all, they are normally sturdy diatech units, unsealed or sealed versions depending on the expense.

As for the popularity thing, they are pretty popular and common in England but most of the people that buy them are normally just getting started in riding (tending to be youngsters) who are caught by flashy adverts. They aren't bad rims/wheels but you can definetly get better for the money.