Quantcast

Halo SAS or Azonic Outlaws?????

rhd

Chimp
Oct 30, 2006
I want a white wheelset for my bike....and have narrowed it down to the Halo SAS and the Azonic Outlaws. I can get both for the same price.....but am not sure which route to go. The outlaws are lighter, but are 36/36..where as the Halo's are 36/48. The halo's LOOK to be a very burley wheel...that i haven't heard of any issues with...where as the outlaws seem to have freehub issues.

is the weight enough to keep me from getting the halo's? or you think i should just go for it?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Ive heard bad things about the Outlaws hubs, i would stay away from them. Take a look on Transitions Website, they have a wheelset called the Revolution that is a reasonably priced and look super strong.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
The transitions wheels are the same wheels as the outlaws, and the performance locos and one other, there all made by alix. The hubs on them are fine and the rims arent bad eitherm, for the price there KILLER wheels.

rhd

Chimp
Oct 30, 2006
that rumor was dispelled not long ago on mtbr...the rims for the transition wheels are made by kinlin or something and not alex rims. at least, that's what Transition said....

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
definitely go for the halo's...they really are indestructable....also they look really sweet! they're not the most technologically advanced rim you can buy, but you can beat the hell out of them and they'll hold up with no problem...

rhd

Chimp
Oct 30, 2006
i'm actually getting white....since they're in stock, and they're HELLA cheap for me

it's going on an 04 Morewood ndiza HT frame...in avacado

rhd

Chimp
Oct 30, 2006
so, yeah...if my civic sells today...i'll be picking up the white halo's along with some other stuff:
sram cassette
sram chain
sram x.7 shifter
sram 0.7 rear der.
oury lock ons, maybe ruffians..haven't decided
dh tubes since i'm running k-rads (read...NO SIDEWALL)

and i think i might just order some brakes too..haven't decided on which ones i wnat though

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
definietely go for the oury rouges if you think you might like a fatter grip, that's what I use and they're awsome...but if you looking for a more traditional feel, the ruffians are awsome too...

dr. drew

Chimp
Nov 2, 2006
out in the woods
I've got a dozen hard rides on my new outlaws and they seem to be holding up fine. I'm running them on my hardtail dirt jump bike. They'll go back in next week for a quick true then back out to trail!

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
The transitions wheels are the same wheels as the outlaws, and the performance locos and one other, there all made by alix. The hubs on them are fine and the rims arent bad eitherm, for the price there KILLER wheels.
Just FYI the Performance LOCOS have a different rear hub that DOES NOT convert to 12mm through axle.

monchichi8

Chimp
Mar 4, 2006
Boulder, CO
Halo's for sure. I rode mine for over 2 yrs with no problems, they stayed straight for the longest time(never had to true them)..was crazy I'll do flat drops...huck off of stuff all the time and I am by no means lights 218lbs..I finally had to rebuild a new set this winter... Bought Hadley 36 hole hubs this and used the Halo hoops again. I am sold..... Plus they look sweet!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
definietely go for the oury rouges if you think you might like a fatter grip, that's what I use and they're awsome...but if you looking for a more traditional feel, the ruffians are awsome too...

ODI Rogues

Oury is a squishy brand that was BOUGHT by ODI and added as a lock on option.

Ruffians are great for dry conditions, thrown mositure, mud etc at em and poooot.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ive destroyed Halos too; w/e - Azonics are fine - theres an uncommon issue with freehubs, but I havent heard a complaint froom 2006 model year....

Be careful with 'pimping' your ride with white stuff as it is quickjly becoming 'last year' -- although white wheels alone have been pimp for a while, so as long as you havent already done the cliche white bars stem and cranks, you wont be a poseur!!

;)

rhd

Chimp
Oct 30, 2006
i'm running
black: holzfeller stem
hussfelt bars
ruffian lock on grips
white: halo's
black/camo: Jaxon V seat
silver (probably polish it..cause i get bored a lot): thompson seat post

so...not going for the cliche colors of the year...just whatever i can get uber cheap, haha.....hell, i might swap the ruffian's out for some red ourys...just to make the bike look even worse

rhd

Chimp
Oct 30, 2006
i tired to get the white outlaws....and my LBS just can't get them in yet.... :sigh:

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I'd say Halos just because I have experience with them. I hear mized things about both wheelsets, but there are some guys around here that ride them hard and don't ever have problems. Plus the hubs are made by Diatech, and are actually very reasonably priced.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
While the 48 hole setup might be cool to have on a mountain bike, just because no one else does...would the 48 hole setup just be overkill and a lot of extra weight or would it really be worth it for the extra durability if your going to beat the hell out of them? I'm thinking about getting them with 48 front and rear....

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
While the 48 hole setup might be cool to have on a mountain bike, just because no one else does...would the 48 hole setup just be overkill and a lot of extra weight or would it really be worth it for the extra durability if your going to beat the hell out of them? I'm thinking about getting them with 48 front and rear....
The 48-hole rear wheel definitely adds strength and stiffness, but is does add weight. The added weight comes from the extra 12 or 16 extra spokes, nipples, and eyelets in the rim. Personally, I think 48 spokes is a little overkill, especially in the front, but it will definitely outlast many of the other components of your bike. The guys around here that I have seen run them use a rear 24" 48-hole, and either a front Combat rim or 36-hole SAS rim to shave weight.

If you know you are going to be hard on your wheelset, a 48-hole setup will definitely hold up to a royal beating, and the Halo SAS 48-hole is one of the strongest wheels you will find, anywhere.

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
definitely go for the halo's...they really are indestructable....also they look really sweet! they're not the most technologically advanced rim you can buy, but you can beat the hell out of them and they'll hold up with no problem...
are they ust compatable with out extras ---rim stripps and stuff---- wheel technologies these days dont warrant that many spokes