Quantcast

Handlebar setup/angle?

sundayrider

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
Australia
Hey, I'm wondering what angle people like to set their bars at? I have recently rolled mine (Funn fatboys) forward so that they are almost perpendicular (inside part of bar, not the outside affected by sweep) to the ground, if that makes sense...? As my Sunday is a little small for me, i figured it would give me a little more room and it seems to feel "right". I have heard however that people like to set theirs at the same angle as their forks...Does having mine rolled forward affect handling in any negative way, put less or more weight on front wheel? What angle do other people have them at?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
I run mine straight up like you or the same as the forkangle. I´m finetuning my cockpit within these preferences. Over these limits, it gets strange, I think.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Back in the day we used to use the same angle as the fork.
I use a trick that I learned yeas ago when I used to race Moto. Find the body position you spend the most time riding in, in moto it was sitting. in DH it is some varaition of standing, so get a friend to help hold the bike up. Once you are in your riding position, close your eyes, and reach out to where you feel you hands should be. That is where your bars should be.
another thing I have found, especially on my XC bike. Set the bike up where you think it should be. Go for a long hard ride. once you start getting tired, you will automaticly start reaching in the area to where your body wants your bars to be. This works great for setting up the seat as well.
Bottom line is you should be adjusting your bike to where you feel the most comfortable and in control, there is no real set position.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I use a trick that I learned yeas ago when I used to race Moto. Find the body position you spend the most time riding in, in moto it was sitting. in DH it is some varaition of standing, so get a friend to help hold the bike up. Once you are in your riding position, close your eyes, and reach out to where you feel you hands should be. That is where your bars should be.
another thing I have found, especially on my XC bike. Set the bike up where you think it should be. Go for a long hard ride. once you start getting tired, you will automaticly start reaching in the area to where your body wants your bars to be. This works great for setting up the seat as well.
Bottom line is you should be adjusting your bike to where you feel the most comfortable and in control, there is no real set position.
:lighten: gotta try that. Bar position has always been something I sort of neglected. I always matched my sweep angle with the angle off perpendicular. eg. 5 degree bar sweep, 90-5 = 85 deg angle or rotated 5 degrees from vertical towards the rider.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
The moto-trick sounds good. Don´t you feel there are bar-angles that are affecting your ability to stay loose when riding?