Quantcast

Handlebar width extensions?

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I recall seeing a sort of bar end plug that extended the width of the bars. It had the same OD as the bars so your grips would just slide over them resulting in a wider handlebar without having to buy new bars or deal with cutting bars.

Are these a mass marketed product and if they are where can I get them?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
just extend your grips ..
it will do the same thing.
you dont need it in the grip
I extend my grips 2 sm on each side on my 710 bar. (so now its 750)

just use grips with good lock on.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have seen guys using wooden dowels and tap them into place.

I think its a terrible idea either way, now your cranking on teh center of the bar with more leverage than what was ever intended.

If you must, wooden doel, sand the ends down enough to fit in the bar with a bit of tightness, tap it, cut the reast to fit, I wouldnt go more than an inch at most.

As far as the locks ons juststicking out a bit, had more than a few sets return with customers doing the same thing, that have actually broken the grips, so I know its not a good idea.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Hmm, I'm not comfortable with just running the grips wide. The ones that I saw slid into the bar and clamped internally so that you could still properly use lockons.

The dowel idea might work. I'm not looking for much, maybe 10-15mm per side.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
Go for lead weights with the proper shape and let them extend outside the grip 10-15mm (on top of the 10-15mm you need to extend your handlebar). This will reduce the resonance when going through stuff. Moto guys do it why not you :)

Hey, if it's going to be a wacky idea why not go full out with it :D

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
go buy the bars with the width you want, FSA makes a 25mm rise 800mm width bar, kore makes a 0 rise, 20, 35, rise with 800mm width...and almost every other bar company makes a bar over 29in now adays. In 2007 i rode sunline 28in bars with an inch on both sidse of the bar for 30 inches total width...and they flex like crazy.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
That's very ghetto in my opinion, good luck at the dentist......
The one's shown on the Kona aren't too bad albeit a little too long for my comfort level.

There is a reason I am looking to extend a set of bars. I have the means to buy a set of wide bars but there's a certain set that I'd like to extend for personal reasons.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
There is some thing in the latest Decline mag about a company that makes handle bar extensions. Can't remember the name of the company.