Quantcast

Hannah's new Haro?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Zutroy said:
Is it a new Haro Proto...or some name badge engineering?
Knowing Haro, its the latter not the former.
Kinda looks like a Cove Peeler to me.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Kinda strange they just wouldn't pull out the old bikes with the FSR style links, if they re having problems with the new bike busting. Cody seems to be on the gold bike still.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Wow! What a cool picture! ahahah ya its a cove, he would break the haro bikes all the time so thats what he rides. it even has a covebikes.com sticker on it

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
That must be about the 4th bike Hannah has had this year.......Craftworks at the Red Bull in Lisbon, M3 in Germany and now this thing, I heard he was spotted riding a genuine Haro one time aswell.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Im Sorry I Didnt Look At The Pic That One May Be A Peeler...iv Heard The Gold One Sucks From Someone Whos Rode It

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
Yes it is a COVE w/ Haro Stickers.

Mick's on about his 8th or 9th different bike this year (if you count the ones he rode at Sea Otter, Lisbon race, etc)

Mick seems to like it. Apparently Cove is getting him a new frame a tad bit longer than the current one he's on.

Cody's been breaking his swingarm a lot as well. he was on the Werx 7 XC/FR bike for the first day of practice in Aspen...until his re-welded swingarm showed up.

Can't comment on how the new Haro DH bike rides....though i've heard several remarks from the riders themselves

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah - it's a Peeler alright. Hannah was riding his gold Haro proto at the Open, and soon after was seen riding what may have been his sister's M3, or an M3 borrowed from someone else - had duct tape over the Intense logos...

Mick's been going through frames like Brittany Spears going through bags of Cheetos and Marlboros...

I say get him one of these and call it a day:
http://www.richi-engineering.de/bike/hulk1.htm

...these guys actually fit Ohlins MX shocks to their DH bikes.

Ya gotta love German Engineering.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
What am I missing here? Why the heck would Haro sponsor Mick if he is on a different bike, not even a Haro, every weekend? Haro hasn't had a downhill bike for sale for what, 3 years now? What a waste of sponsorship money...

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
WheelieMan said:
What am I missing here? Why the heck would Haro sponsor Mick if he is on a different bike, not even a Haro, every weekend? Haro hasn't had a downhill bike for sale for what, 3 years now? What a waste of sponsorship money...

You're missing A LOT. Mick's ridden Haro's whenever they're available. however he keeps breaking the swingarm (same w/ Cody). Haro then supplied the team w/ extra swingarms....& they went through all of them. Mick is riding what's available to him. Do you think it's better to sit on the sidelines not riding, or riding a Haro stickered bike & still competing & promoting the company? It's not Mick's fault he's on a different bike every weekend.

"waste of sponsorship money???" i think not! There are pleanty of riders out there who would just sit out or ride another bike & not bother to change over the stickers.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
But what message does it send when even a rider like Mick can't keep the bike from failing?

I would say that it is indeed a waste of money at this point. Why hire a top rider to represent you, when you have nothing to represent?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
dropmachine.com said:
But what message does it send when even a rider like Mick can't keep the bike from failing?

I would say that it is indeed a waste of money at this point. Why hire a top rider to represent you, when you have nothing to represent?

Half the companies out there have done it over the years...mongoose hasen't mad a DH bike in years, Trek didn't, but they had guys racing DH. Giant wasen't making a DH bike all those years Tomac road for them. Your trying to get the brand name out, not the specific bike.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
dropmachine.com said:
Why hire a top rider to represent you, when you have nothing to represent?
One word acronym.....

NASCAR......do chevy dodge and ford make good vehicles.....???????hell no.....they sink endless amounts of money into modifying cars to the point where there is nothing left on the car that even comes close to resembling a stock part.....why???? publicity....I think any F1 car would make it around the track a little faster than any american P.O.S.....

it's not about trying to look like you make a good raceworthy product....it's about being involved with the sport and having results to brag about, and racers to fill advertisements with so that little kids want to buy their garbage bikes and ride them off 3 foot loading docks with fox and rock shox stickers all over their bikes....sad huh?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
DylanDeanDesign said:
You're missing A LOT. Mick's ridden Haro's whenever they're available. however he keeps breaking the swingarm (same w/ Cody). Haro then supplied the team w/ extra swingarms....& they went through all of them. Mick is riding what's available to him. Do you think it's better to sit on the sidelines not riding, or riding a Haro stickered bike & still competing & promoting the company? It's not Mick's fault he's on a different bike every weekend.

"waste of sponsorship money???" i think not! There are pleanty of riders out there who would just sit out or ride another bike & not bother to change over the stickers.
I still find that extremely shocking. Haro is not convincing me at all that their products are worth having. Why doesn't this happen to other pros?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I would agree, except for a couple things.

Ford and Dodge and all them have more money then they know what to do with. So, i don't mind them blowing it. The bike industry is not the same way.

When Trek went DH racing, they raced thier own bike if I'm not mistaken. It was difficult to buy, but i've seen them out there.

Back in the day, yeah it was common to see a rebadged M1 under guys like Tomac. This ain't back in the day. Honestly, I can't think of a single company right now other then haro who puts riders on bikes that they don't make. Not being a smartass, I just can't think of one. And to me, it seems like a waste of money, especially when anyone that they are really trying to attract sees that the rider is on a different bike.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yup - Hannah sure is rough with his bikes. If you look closely at this footage from the Open at around time marker 1:28 in windows media player:http://www.diablofreeridepark.com/video/usopen05.wmv

...you'll see him come to the top of the rock chute and just POINT IT from the very beginning and bomb the whole thing with no brakes. Wonder where he would've placed had he not crashed later in his run.

It's true that companies have a priority to get their logo "branded" or placed as much as possible in public. Eric Carter rode a re-badged Turner DHR with "Mongoose" prominently displayed on the downtube for years until 'Goose finally came up with a DH rig. It's important for sponsored riders, especially well-known ones to be out there riding under the company flag. You just can't buy that kind of advertising.

At the same time, the failure issues Haro has been having with its DH frame dosen't bode well for the company's reputation in the public eye, especially since they already released it to the public at last years' Interbike. I think that Haro may have "jumped the gun" a bit with its Interbike display by not doing another year of behind the scenes R&D on the frame. I also think they underestimated Mick's brute force when riding in a race. :D

Let's also not forget that the last DH bike Haro made (the Werks DHR) was a close sibling to the Intense M1. The DH bike they are currently making is entirely new from the ground up - it's design borrows little from other bikes. So, as with any new or unproven design, there are going to be lots of unknowns, and problems that need to be worked out.

So, I think it's going to take Haro some re-designs, and some more time to get everything right. But just think - how burly and bomb-proof the new frame is going to be once they DO get everything dialed in...

Taro

Chimp
The Haro Werks DH was build by Intense for them , I don't think they have ever build any DH frame and that might be why they're having a few problem making one strong enough for a racer like Mick .

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
actually the bike in the picture is called the .357 magnum(sounds like a tomac) it is a production bike for 2006, they also have a bike that is just the .357 that has lesser parts but the same frame. the production bikes have a slightly beefier swingarm than the protos that he rode and broke. don't know if the new ones will hold up better, but they look more refined. pretty cheap too considering the parts that they come with, 3500ish for the magnum and 2200ish for the regular one. haro finally is using a linkage driven suspension too for almost all of there new fs bikes, xc included.

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
Why don't they just rebadge a M3 frame and get it over with! He was fast on the M3 duvcktaped frame in Germany, untill he crashed in the finals, he bent the Haro on the first day after the second run or something like that. The new Haro bike is ugly and weak!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ian so you say "this isnt back in the day"

take a look at the euro races, youll find heaps of
mondraker
author
solid
orbea
etc etc
muddy fox

etc etc, those are all generic bikes, rebranded if you will.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
vitox said:

mondraker
author
solid
orbea
etc etc
muddy fox

You meant to direct this at jeff, not me, right????....if it's aimed at me, i'm a little confused by your question....

IC

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Oh thats right blame me for everything.

Theres a difference between running some mystery frame out of Taiwan, and riding your competitions frame with your stickers on it. ;)

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
vitox said:

mondraker
author
solid
orbea
etc etc
muddy fox

Yep, Gees win last year at the WC was on a Muddy Fox branded M-1. It's not as common as it use to be over here but it still happens. Actually trek did make a DH then they stopped cause it sucked and their guys road M-1s. Even companies known for DH bikes had have dont it, IHs guys were on several different bike manfactures over the years pretty much up to about 3 -4 years ago.

Then you've got the case of people like IFab who never have and probably never will make a DH bike, but have had DHers running on there team on and off over teh years.

It's all about getting the name out there. Yoiu may not buy a haro, but the casual rider doesn't know about what's going on with the bikes, they just see a bike under a guy doing well with Haro on it.