Quantcast

%%%Happy 4th of July%%%

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
A bit early but....

Please take few minutes in your day to read what this is all about....

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/index.htm

That is powerful stuff regardless of your thoughts of current day politicians and the state of the nation.

What of the men that signed the Declaration of Independence.

These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this Declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.
It was far from a sure thing that the Revolution could be won and signing the document immediately made them marked men. In the end many did sacrifice their fortunes and lives...

http://usff.com/usff/sacredhonor.html

Of those 56 who signed the Declaration of Independence, nine died of wounds or hardships during the war. Five were captured and imprisoned, in each case with brutal treatment. Several lost wives, sons or entire families. One lost his 13 children. Two wives were brutally treated. All were at one time or another the victims of manhunts and driven from their homes. Twelve signers had their homes completely burned. Seventeen lost everything they owned. Yet not one defected or went back on his pledged word. Their honor, and the nation they sacrificed so much to create, is still intact.
And Abraham Clark signer from New Jersey....

He gave two sons to the officer corps in the Revolutionary Army. They were captured and sent to the infamous British prison hulk afloat in New York harbor known as the hell ship "Jersey," where 11,000 American captives were to die. The younger Clarks were treated with a special brutality because of their father. One was put in solitary and given no food. With the end almost in sight, with the war almost won, no one could have blamed Abraham Clark for acceding to the British request when they offered him his sons' lives if he would recant and come out for the King and parliament. The utter despair in this man's heart, the anguish in his very soul, must reach out to each one of us down through 200 years with his answer: "No."
I hope you have a great day.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You mean decision makers back then had to back their words up with their own blood?

I thought they got to sit in an office 1000s of miles away?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning all! Happy 4th to you! DRB -- thanks for the read :thumb: It's so easy to forget our roots and it's nice to think about what today really is!

So, today I am busy finalizing everything for the Women's DH Clinic at Whiteface this weekend. I've gotta pack up my gear, get Syds stuff all together for my folks house and then I am picking Tara up from the airport. I am so excited!!!

Other than that, not too much else on the plate except playing with my kid!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Happy Fourth of July Monkeys!

I'm going to start building up an old Marin into an XC bike today. Installed the headset last night. That went well!

Cheers!

Mark

trickten

Chimp
Jul 13, 2005
Mid - MI
Happy 4th kids. I'm just going to see the g.f. for the day, and pack tonight. Tomorrow heading out to the New River in WV to do some whitewater rafting, and rock climbing, then off to Snowshoe to get some killer riding in. WOOHOO!!!:happydance:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Vodka in the freezer for later.

I'm going to take fvcknuts out for a stroll....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I now am living in california, about a 45 second walk from the beach. **Insert obligatory PIIHB joke here**

Also, I consumed much bacon on my trip cross country. Thread to follow. About the trip, not the bacon or PIIIHB.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good morning and happy 4th. It's a gorgeous day in the Yay Area, sunny and warm. Right now I'm all about coffee and the intarweb. Soon I will be all about a long road ride. Later I will be all about stuffing my face with burgers, sausages and beer, outside, hopefully still in the sun. Hope you all have fun today!!

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Celebrate it, brothers and sisters!

I love my Americano's!

Whooot! Whooot!

Time for some BBQ!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Happy 4th and crap. Was planning to do some dh at Jiminy today + dj last night, but we got a bit of a scare at our midwife visit last night and had to run off to the hospital for some testing, with of course 15 minutes before the lab closed- shxt like this always happens right before a holiday - had to dig around for someone to administer the tests...Anyway, got a call from the midwife last night with test results and all is well for now...whew. It's awesome to have such good responsiveness!

Laid low today, did a quick xc ride. Now onward to more baby stuff! Could be any day, now.

Have a good DH clinic @ the 'Face, Treesaw!

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
A bit early but....
Please take few minutes in your day to read what this is all about....

**snip**

And Abraham Clark signer from New Jersey....
I hope you have a great day.
I'm so impressed by your post... I read this earlier today but didn't respond at the time. I've thought about Abraham Clark on and off throughout the day and marveled at the fortitude and resolve of the early Americans.

Thank you for the reminder and the inspiration.